• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Taller sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddog97

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Need some info on where to get taller sights for my Uberti revolvers. I have the 1858 Remington,1860 Army, and Third Model Dragoon. I shoot 25-30 grs. FFF in the Remington and the 1860 Army. I've only shot the Dragoon 36 times with 35grs.FFF. All three pistols were sandbagged and shot good groups but all three were about 6 inches high at 25 and also 50 yds. I would like to have these pistols hit at point of aim w/o filing the hammer notch.
I also need some advise on preventing fragmentation of the caps. I installed Tresso nipples on all three pistols and use CCI#11 caps. They seem to fit tight enough but like to fragment and jam up the 1860 Army and the Dragoon constantly. The Remington is not as bad. I've tried capguards and they're not much help. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

I file my muzzles to move point of aim. try Remington # 10's on those Tresos, they work great for me.

cva used to sell some caps that looked like tarnished brass, they never fragmented. sadly they quit making them.
there was an article somewhere where the guy installed a small post so the cap didn't fall back between the hammer and frame. then he dremeled out the hammer slot farther so it would ride over the post and hit the cap.
a hobby store may have thick enough brass to make your own sight.

i make taller blades from old brass keys. even use them to restore old winchester front sights.

I made a front sight for my Uberti 1860 Army from 1/8" sheet brass. The sight is in a milled slot and is a press fit.The Top has to be tapered thinner . Mike Brooks is right on about the Remington #10's on Treso nipples. No more cap troubles.The Remington sight is in a dove tail and easily changed. I've seen higher sights for sale for these. Sights for the colts generally have to be made.I never tried filing the muzzle to change POI. I know its done to regulate shot gun barrels.

Thanks for the info. Got me some Remington #10 caps today and hope to try them out tomorrow.

Before you buy a replacement front sight, find out how much higher it must be by putting some shrink tubing over the front sight and shrink it down then cut it off a 1/16 th or 1/8th above the stock sight. Try at the range and trim until it works, then order the height you need.
Stew

I tried #10 Remington caps on the treso nipples last weekend and they jam the cylinders also.

There's not a cap made that won't fragment and occasionally jam up the cylinder, especially on a Colt. The best you can do is to either roll the gun to the right or point it muzzle up while cocking. This will help the caps to drop off without jamming up the cylinder.

Back