• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tang screw & lock bolt locations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arkrivco said:
In regards to the tang bolt, the kit only came with a tang screw. I ordered a tang bolt; but its stuck in the mail, at this point. So, I plan to drill for a tang bolt; but, put in the tang screw to get the barrel in the correct location for the lock bolt to go through the tang lug.
arkrivco
I would wait for the bolt never know the screw could be bigger then the bolt and it is easier to remove more wood then it is to add more .do not ask me how I know this just take my wood for it please:redface:

arkrivco said:
The one lock bolt goes through the base of the tang itself which is at the rear end the breech plug? It is done this way to add strength? Thanks arkrivco

The rear lock bolt is put thru the base of the barrel tang for several reasons:

1: It is there to go to adequately hold the lock bolster flat up againse the barrel flat you you don't get any fouling or powder from the pan down in the lock inlet or under the barrel.

2: It is also there to hold the lock into the lock inlet for support on that side. Once you inlet the lock, you have removed half of the wood at that area making it the weakest part of the stock, most of the time. By holding that lockplate into the inlet snugly, you have reinforced that weak area.

And a few tidbits:

1: The lock should be inletted so that the bolster (the solid part around the pan & in front & to rear of it) is flat against the barrel & you should NOT have to torque the lock screws to make it go flat up against the barrel, It should fit up flat easily & the screw or screws retain it in position. If you have to torque the screws, the inlet is not correct.

2: The tang bolt, lock bolt or bolts should have clearance in them thru the wood, so the barrel doesn't stress the bolt on recoil & also a slight humidity change will not put stress on same bolts at any time.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help. The lock is now 99% inletted. I have a tiny gap between the lock and the swamped barrel which I need to fix and I sanded room for the hammer to have room for it to fall-its a flinter. Paul: sand down the bolster? I had not thought of that. Next comes pinning the barrel and inletting the trigger-oh boy!

arkrivco

Back