• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC cap to flint conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No faith in my abilities, :dunno: I might tinker and get it right. It has happened a time or two. But, at this point, it probly makes sense to just get the breach plug.

Since you have a lathe & mill and want a project to test your abilities why not get a piece of bar stock of appropriate grade steel and just make a breechplug? A TC flinchlock breechplug is a very simple piece of machinery.

Making a breech plug is the way to go. I have a very corroded TC barrel I thought about trying the same thing on. If it worked I was going to get it bored smooth. The hole in the caplock plug is way up high and angled downward...not at a right angle like a flint plug. After trying it I don't see anyway for it to work

Well, I do have some round stock that I picked up to make a replacement breach plug for an underwater rifle cuz the one in the gun was installed wrong. But at least that one is round, no filing to match any flats.

My buddy still hasn't committed to a course of action.

Well, I do have some round stock that I picked up to make a replacement breach plug for an underwater rifle cuz the one in the gun was installed wrong. But at least that one is round, no filing to match any flats.

My buddy still hasn't committed to a course of action.
Have to love autocorrect. That should say under hammer not.underwater.

My attempts at an underwater flintlock have always ended in failure. :doh:

Seriously though, if you have the material, the machine tools and want to test your skills. Make the breech plug.

Another challenge could be converting the lock to flintlock. Dixie has the raw castings needed and they are fairly inexpensive. If memory serves me correctly about $24 will get you the hammer, the pan, and the frizzen as cast. Remove a little metal from the lock plate, finish & harden parts accordingly, assemble as required.

My attempts at an underwater flintlock have always ended in failure. :doh:

Seriously though, if you have the material, the machine tools and want to test your skills. Make the breech plug.

Another challenge could be converting the lock to flintlock. Dixie has the raw castings needed and they are fairly inexpensive. If memory serves me correctly about $24 will get you the hammer, the pan, and the frizzen as cast. Remove a little metal from the lock plate, finish & harden parts accordingly, assemble as required.
Thats a cheaper way to replace the lock. And I would get mine back.

Still have the breach dilemma, which seems at this point like it should just be replaced.

Back