• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC service

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

db3

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I posted a little while back about getting some parts for my TC Fire Storm. Just wanted to update. Got the rear tang no problem, did get kind of a run around about the sight but after a few calls I got it(about 2 weeks). All in all I would say they did a good job helping me out. All I had to do is ask the right questions. They did not volunteer much info, so ask the right questions.. :wink:

I am wondering if their exchange policies are changing because of the way this economy is?

I've said my share of bad stuff about T/C but never about their service. They have always bent over backwards to make things right but their production people are always there to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
It's like there are two T/Cs - the one that cares enough to send you an updated lock, take back a barrel that you're not happy with or send you a new stock when yours cracks. This forum is full of examples of that T/C.
Then there's the folks in design, production and quality control who put out faulty designed locks, make barrels that don't shoot well, buy wood prone to cracking and build a gun that just isn't as good as previous models. Today's T/C is an inline and centerfire company who happens to make 1 sidelock model muzzleloader and not too well at that.
I've given them 1 last chance and I'm awaiting a hawken that they promised to make right. Customer Service is even reimbursing the cost of shipping it to them. They have 3 things to fix - an off center vent, a loose fit between lock and barrel and set triggers that don't.
I'm pulling for them but a little voice inside tells me I'm about to buy an Italian gun.

their frizzens are not very good also.

get KASENIT and do the hardening thing.

paul showed me how and a BIG DIFFERENCE IN SPARKS NOW.

t/c frizzen WILL work ,as is but if you would see sparks after you hardened it,you would see that t/c frizzens are not real great.

thanks to paul, i am very happy on sparks off my new t/c frizzen after hardening . :thumbsup:

in my book,t/c cs is still the benchmark for others to aspire to. karl

kb1 said:
in my book,t/c cs is still the benchmark for others to aspire to. karl
I think you must not have owned many other makes, in my book T/C is the most over-priced mediocre gun made.

sproulman said:
"...their frizzens are not very good..."
"...t/c frizzens are not real great..."

IMHO, we all really need to be mindful of the generalized kinds of statements we make. You're obviously tinkering with something and are pleased with what you're doing and that's great.

But...you do yourself a personal dis-service by then turning around and publicly making such statements as you've done above...one individual's experience does not automatically condem a company's product.

There is not a thing in the world wrong with T/C frizzens. By contrast to your individual indicent I've used T/Cs redesigned Frizzens on multiple T/C Flintlocks for almost 10 years with thousands of shots on them and have not had a single problem with any of them.

A lot of things can contribute to ignition problems...and I put going out of the way to harden a modern T/C frizzen right up there along side of using lead for a Flint wrap...if either of them "improved your ignition" then some other problem is being compensated for.

Not questioning whether there is or isn't more sparks, just saying..."if you weren't having ignition problems to begin with"...and no new style T/C Flintlock I've ever owned has had any...then it would seem the amount of sparks you're now talking about is nice but kind of a moot point.

Untold amounts of money and huge numbers of design engineering & testing hours have resulted in a flawless redesigned T/C Flintlock assembly...amazing to me that anybody would then think its necessary to go harden the redesigned frizzen on T/Cs redesigned lock assembly.

Don't misunderstand me...you or anybody can buy and harden every T/C frizzen in the universe if that's your thing...but its clearly not required and statements like yours above indicting all T/C frizzens are just wrong.

:v

i did not go back and read my post, i think i said i did not have problem and their new frizzen worked ok.

30 plus years ago, their frizzens did not work very good at all,i think you know that EVEN THO jack said those older frizzens were BETTER than todays frizzens.

so, we even have person working there giving his opinion.

after seeing all sparks i have now, i felt that t/c frizzen was not GREAT .

did it not fire before throwing red sparks, about 3 or 4,NO.

went off everytime.

you point is, IF THE RED SPARKS 3 OR SO FIRED YOUR GUN, ITS NOT PROBLEM..

i cant argue that point.

i, like you ,like to IMPROVE things.

was getting a lot more sparks and WHITE HOT a improvement to my t/c frizzen even tho the red sparks 3 or so still fired it.

i know this, I FEEL A LOT BETTER WITH THE WHITE HOT SPARKS I GET NOW HITTING PAN..

so, i feel i IMPROVED the t/c frizzen,that makes me feel GREAT.

Back