• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Alamo film

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well none of myt e mails have been replied to just yet.No prob thow.I am glad to hear that there are people near by who ware of like mind.Hope to run into you some time !

Stinky,

I will reply! :haha:

I love Texas too! I lived in Temple!

I just saw on the news, that if your white and live in Texas you are officially a minority!

Guess the Alamo, and battles after it were not really necessary :shake:

Regards

Mule

I am glad to hear from you ! I thaught I had cheesed you off bad :RO:.Thank you for the reply .Have you checked out those links? I dont know if I got them right but the fellow's from the[url] Alamofilm.com[/url] will surley know about them and maney more I bet.Good to hear from you !

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have picked Tommy Lee Jones to play Crockett. He's about as genuine as you can come by in Hollywood these days. Both he and Tom Selleck are gun savvy.
Either one would have been a real great David Crockett :thumbsup: :front:

Hey Mountain

... small world aint it? I think BBT did a great job as Crockett overall in the film .. even with is dicrepancies noted. However we cannot help but fream .. I remmeber backa couple light years ago where some of us were discussin on the Alamo film site the merits of such actors as Mel Gibson or Robin Williams as Crockett! I think either one would have done a good job as well with their affable personality! As much as I like Tommy Lee Jones ... my problem with Tommy L Jones is his apparent dour presentation most of the time .. I do not think that fits Crockett's demeanor as well. :front:

Davy

The one thing I liked about the movie is that all the "larger than life" men at the Alamo were shown as being the commen men that they were.

Bowie, Crockett, Travis, Housten --All very real and not "larger than life"

:m2c:

Marc Findlay

i liked that too they are always shown as theese big huge men and i thought most people besides george washington were 5'8'' not big 6'3'' guys but mabey that was just me but that was the part i liked best too. :front:

I agree! I liked the movie & I liked who played the parts, alot better than most movies made now days.

Thomas

dslb.jpg

Having been lucky to have been able to visit and see the new film set on a couple of occassions,
I consider it a gem as well! Except for the danged church that was moved up, it is a surreal experince seeing it!
::

Davy

Davy,
Thanks for the photo, I'd love to see the film set. I got to see the Alamo while in the military. I'd had got my left arm burned in RVN & ended up at Brooks hospital burn center [Fort Sam]. Every time I could I'd go into town, have afew beers & just walk around [the river walk is beautiful], but I always ended up at the Alamo!

I was born & raised in Washington state, but part of my heart will always be Texan & the people who died at the Alamo are my heroes too & nothing anyone can say will ever change that! BTW the people of Texas treated me good while I was there & I love them! :thanks:

Thomas

Davy,
Thanks for the photo, I'd love to see the film set. I got to see the Alamo while in the military. I'd had got my left arm burned in RVN & ended up at Brooks hospital burn center [Fort Sam]. Every time I could I'd go into town, have afew beers & just walk around [the river walk is beautiful], but I always ended up at the Alamo!

I was born & raised in Washington state, but part of my heart will always be Texan & the people who died at the Alamo are my heroes too & nothing anyone can say will ever change that! BTW the people of Texas treated me good while I was there & I love them! :thanks:

Thomas

Well the Wayne "Alamo" Brackettville set and the Alamo 2004 Dripping Springs set both are personal faves ... glad you enjoyed it!

BTW for those interested .. there will be a Wayne "Alamo" film festival on Oct 22 in Brackettville,Texas .. where they will show the Wayne "Alamo" film in the Alamo film set compound .. some of the original cast members will be present as well! Should be a real humdinger, and this is only the second time they have done this there! Come on down! :front:

Davy

The thing of it is those guys were larger than life! If not for there reputation I bet they would have got the hell out of there! I agree with the guy on the history Chanel. They were trapped by their fame. They could have left had they chose to.
Old Charlie

Well ... that has allus been a point of contention for some ... but for me .. what makes them heroes all! They could have left and did not do it! They chose by action or deed to stay and by doing so paid the ulimate sacrifice. I do not think these men all started out to be heroes .. I think they just acquired the mantle from heroic deeds .. although I doubt many thought about such things on that early Sunday morning on March 6th, 1836! :boohoo:

Davy

I agree again with Davy! The real men & women at the Alamo were common people who rose to uncommon heights because of their ultimate sacrifice. To try and make them larger than life now, I think, is an injustice to their sacrifice.

Old Charlie - You have to understand that John Wayne was larger than life, but, in reality, was only a mediocre actor and had nothing in common with the people at the Alamo, as they were much better than that.

The people at the Alamo were the 'real deal' with all the faults and fears of regular people and their actions speak better and louder than any movie or book will ever be able to replicate.

Thomas

Old Charlie - You have to understand that John Wayne was larger than life, but, in reality, was only a mediocre actor

I believe that mediocre actor won an Oscar.
Old Charlie

Old Charlie,

I'm sorry, but that's lame. If you know anything about "Hollywood" history, you know that the Oscar was given to him - not for what he did, but because he had been around forever and a day making mediocre movies. As a matter of fact, the movie he 'won' for, was considered by many to be his worst movie.

You missed the whole point. John Wayne was just an actor (and in just my opinion) a bad actor. Just because in the movie he dived into the powder magazine and blew everything up at the end and bigger than real life, doesn't mean that it really happened. In fact, we know that never happened in reality, period.

Old Charlie - I'm not meaning to be rude, but you have to get your head out of the 21st century and in the sunshine. I know you love the 'larger than life' dramas, but larger than life usually means the big lie, as far as Hollywood movies go.

Go down to the real Alamo, go up to the front doors, read the big placque, if you don't get it then, you ain't never gonna get it.

Thomas

Yeh! Don't mess with the Duke! I would say, that some of the films are somewhat hokey, but I would link that to the Director if anything! Oh he was a director too ::

He truly did some great work!

Back