• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Frontiersman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdbritt

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone read this book by Allan Eckert? I'm right in the middle of it, and so far I'm pretty impressed. It's a good read that is backed by a lot of research. Not dry at all. I may have to read some of his other books when I finish this one.

Warren

That is a fine book :thumbsup: . Another (my favorite of his) is called "The Conquerors" and is about Pontiac's War. I think that one would make a good movie.

I've read them all, even met allan up at the log cabin shop and bought him a cup of coffee!
He writes a good book, tells a good story,and does a good amount of research. Some small details he gets messed up but nothing to worry about. The whole series is good, but "The Dark and Bloody River"is a little dry. Especially the beginning.

I haven't read it for a while, but have probably read it 10 or 12 times since I was introduced to it back in 1988.

I have read all of Eckert's books in that series. The Frontiersman was my favorite of the series, though all are good.

Be aware that the history in Eckert's books isn't what it is made out to be. Some of the footnotes and locations are not accurate.

Also be aware that Eckert makes liberal use of literary license, blending known history with undocumented folklore, and sometimes with pure fiction.

The case of Blue Jacket being a white captive who kills his biological brother at the battle of Point Pleasant is only one such flight of fancy. There are many others, as well.

However, that doesn't detract from the over all readability of the book. Nor does Eckert's flights of fancy detract from the over all feel of the culture, of the period.

God Bless,
J.D.

Read it and loved it.

Definitely does not pull any punches on the graphic nature of battle.

Very worthwhile in my opinion.

Doc

J.D. said:
I have read all of Eckert's books in that series. The Frontiersman was my favorite of the series, though all are good.

Be aware that the history in Eckert's books isn't what it is made out to be. Some of the footnotes and locations are not accurate.

Also be aware that Eckert makes liberal use of literary license, blending known history with undocumented folklore, and sometimes with pure fiction.

The case of Blue Jacket being a white captive who kills his biological brother at the battle of Point Pleasant is only one such flight of fancy. There are many others, as well.

However, that doesn't detract from the over all readability of the book. Nor does Eckert's flights of fancy detract from the over all feel of the culture, of the period.

God Bless,
J.D.

where had you read that the story was "fanciful"? i did find it odd when i read the passage, such an important and unusual piece of history that went un-footnoted is very un-eckert-like. i do enjoy his work but also believe mistakes or flights of fancy are possible........actually he is usually the 1st one to call himself out in later works when he finds himself in error.

to be totally accurate bluejacket supposedly killed and scalped his younger brother charley (the same one he saved when he himself was captured) during the St. Clair defeat (1791) not the battle of point pleasant (1774). however, it is strongly hinted at in the frontiersmen that a white turned shawnee white wolf (john ward) possibly shoots and kills his father capt. john ward during the battle of pt. pleasant........perhaps another example of dramatic liscence, i dont know.

Freakin' Great book. You will not be disappointed. Lots of folks know about Boone, but not about Kenton.

Enjoy!

- Jet

I reacently ordered two books. The longhunt - the death of the buffalo east of the mississippi and the Frontiersman. I got the longhunt first aned started and then got the frontiersman. That will be my next read and I can't wait. Gotta finish the longhunt first. Frontiersman has got alot of good reviews including the ones here. I'm looking forward to getting to it.

delawarr said:
J.D. said:

God Bless,
J.D.

where had you read that the story was "fanciful"? i did find it odd when i read the passage, such an important and unusual piece of history that went un-footnoted is very un-eckert-like. i do enjoy his work but also believe mistakes or flights of fancy are possible........actually he is usually the 1st one to call himself out in later works when he finds himself in error.

to be totally accurate bluejacket supposedly killed and scalped his younger brother charley (the same one he saved when he himself was captured) during the St. Clair defeat (1791) not the battle of point pleasant (1774). however, it is strongly hinted at in the frontiersmen that a white turned shawnee white wolf (john ward) possibly shoots and kills his father capt. john ward during the battle of pt. pleasant........perhaps another example of dramatic liscence, i dont know.

I believe, and I could be wrong about this, but at the time that Eckert wrote this book, it was the common belief that Blue Jacket was actually a white captive that became chief as he wrote in the story. I don't think that it was until much later when they could do DNA tests on BlueJacket's decendants, that they proved that Blue Jacket was in fact a full blooded Native American.

Well, It has been a looonnng time since I read Eckert's books, so my memory may be playing tricks on me, with details of the book. However, Eckert does interject undocumented folklore, such as the folklore that Blue Jacket was white, and pure fiction with history to make the story line flow.

The problem with taking Eckert's books as historical fact is the way he blurs the line between fact, folklore, and fiction. IMHO, In some instances, that line disappears entirely.

If one does not do any further research in the time period covered by Eckert's books, one will not have the ability to separate fact from fiction.

That said, I liked Eckert's books. I do recommend them, with the caveat that Eckert does blend lots of undocumented folklore and fiction with a narrative of history.

A very wise man once said something to the effect of; we should only believe about 90% of what we read, and less than half of what we see. I concur.

God bless,
J.D.

More recent book on Blue Jacket:

Sugden, John. Blue Jacket: Warrior of the Shawnees. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2000. ISBN 0-8032-4288-3.

Sean

I'm in the middle of reading the "Frontiersmen" right now. It is a fascinating read and well footnoted. I didn't know about Simon Kenton and the early days of Daniel Boone before reading this book. I also didn't know about how much the British played into the atrocities by encouraging the Indians to violence.

It's a very good read, IMO. :thumbsup: I'm on to the next book, "that dark and bloody river".

After reading so many positive reviews I ordered the Frontierssmen Tuesday Night. Received it on Friday. Looks like I will have some enjoyable reading over the next couple of days.

PJC

J.D. said:

The Frontiersmen was written over 40 years ago. Our understanding and knowledge of history has advanced during those two intervening generations. I'll gladly cut Mr. Eckert some slack in exchange for some great stories and for piquing my interest in history and ML shooting. I can't imagine the number of rifles he is indirectly responsible for selling, but I know it's at least 7 for me.

I have read this series of Eckerts books more than once and have had different editions of them each time they were read. All of them, including the editions I currently have all say "HISTOTICAL FICTION" on them.

They are very readable books and he blends fact with fiction so well, I had to keep reminding myself every time I read them that they are not catagorized as "NON-FICTION" books.

So cut him some slack on adding stuff in that probably didn't happen - take the time to read the forwards/intos and if your books are like mine, it will say right there that these are not to be taken as historically accurate renderings of past events.

Now sit back and enjoy, because they really are excellent reading.

One of the things in it I found interesting is when it mentioned the Shawnees spliting and half moving to Sugar Creek here in Cape Girardeau MO. with Lorimier. I tried to find a waterway in the area that use to be known as Sugar Creek without any luck.

Back