• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

the last of the mohicans

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redwing said:
..... SC about that time. We went out to the set where the old Mission in swamp hide out was. It was I think in a swamp near Lake Moultre not sure about the name.
The whole thing was made of white foam packing which looked liked lime stone in the movie.....

Are you thinking of "The Patriot" instead....?

dukewellington said:
I just brought the DVD and will probally watch it tongiht. Anyone else on here seen it, if so what did you think?
Oh yes, its one of my favorite movies. I guess i've watched it 50 times or more since its release. That was to be my name on here, "La Longue Carabine" but someone already had that French version. So i found a French/Canadain guy off archery talk. I asked him about the name Long Rifle & the word long So he gave me the word "Une" as being an off dialect from French Indians, meaning "Long" Put it all together, you get "une Carabine" which still means "Long Rifle" :wink:

Anyway's getting back on topic, the movie is just awsome and the fact i live on the other side of the mountains, where that movie was made, i get that same scenery here. :thumbsup:

Trust me, you'll watch it over & over again.

Danny :hatsoff:

I have heard that the theatrical version, released on VHS, was different and preferred by many to the directors cut/DVD version. I have the DVD version and do enjoy it. I would like to see the theatrical version though.

There ARE some differences I've noticed. In the opening elk chase scene, the report of Hawkeye's rifle sounds like a load "ROAR" in the vhs vs. the "crack" in the dvd. Also, there is some dialogue missing in the dvd when Hawkeye and Major Heyward exchange barbs while at the fort and in the canoe chase scene. There is also a scene where Heyward and his men make a "distraction" so a messenger can escape the fort that is in the dvd only.Also, when Hawkeye, Chingachgook, and Uncas are chasing the Hurons with the captured women, there is a song played by the group CLANNAD in the background while in the dvd it's just the original score. Subtle differences, but theyre noticeable if you watch them both often enough.

pab1 said:
I have heard that the theatrical version, released on VHS, was different and preferred by many to the directors cut/DVD version. I have the DVD version and do enjoy it. I would like to see the theatrical version though.

Absolutely. I have both and the VHS version is far superior to the DVD version of the movie. The only advantage to the DVD version is that it is easily portable and fits in my laptop.....

Loved it.....

so much so I fell in love with the year ...1757... Then I went out a bought a silver French coin dated 1757. Bought the sound track and play it through my Harley's sound system while I'm out riding.

Joe

Wayne Watson was supposed to have made three real rifles for the film--pretty much standard practice in case one breaks. The rifles used in scenes involving head bashing or other non shooting violence are made of a rubber compound. The rifle used in the waterfall scene would have been one of these.

Yes, not thinking is more like it. I need to back up one war. Thanks to a fellow westerner for covering my back. :thumbsup:

I made the mistake of actually reading the book first. The movie is loosely based on the book, but was Hollywooded up to provide a love story and a more politically correct story line (ie, movie has "bad" Indian killed off in fair fight with "good" Indian, book has "bad" Indian back shot by the white guy.)

But, taken by itself and without the book as context, it was a good movie.

Would like to see 'em actually do a Leatherstocking series and follow all the books. That would be interesting.

Ooooh Bill, you gave away the ending of the book.
:rotf:
I do agree, the series would be great.

Just listening to the music score of that movie makes me want to howl at the moon and smell burned powder. Just think - in reality, that period in history was not that long ago........ :hatsoff:

If any of you are interested
A Celtic folk singer named Dougie MacLean did a lot of the score of that movie.
My mother has met and talked with him on several occasions.
It's funny he was telling her that while getting ready to play here in Portland, LOTM was on TV in the background. He said there was something awfully familiar about the music, and then he turns around to see what's on and thinks to himself "DUH! I wrote that!"

While it's not my style of music, it's obvious that he is very good and worth checking out if you haven't already

I have seen both versions and prefer the original 1936 version with Randolph Scott as Hawkeye. Enough so that I purchase the video a number of years back. The newer version is still a good view.
Bruce

I vaguely remember that there was a movie version of The Deerslayer made many, many years ago. I don't even remember now who played in it. As a youngster, I saw it in the movies, but, I don't think its ever been shown on tv.

Checked it out on the internet (probably should have done that before my previous post). The Deerslayer was released in 1957 and starred Lex Barker (of Tarzan fame). Seems like thats long enough ago to rate a remake.

There was a remake in 1978 starring Steve Forrest. I don't recall seeing it or even seeing it advertised, but the I.M.Db. says it was made so I guess it was.

B. Miller said:
I have seen both versions and prefer the original 1936 version with Randolph Scott as Hawkeye.

A while back (1994) there was a TV series called Hawkeye staring Lee Horsley as Natty 'Hawkeye' Bumppo and Lynda (Wonder Woman) Carter as Elizabeth Shields.

hawk01.gif

It only lasted for the TV Pilot and one eppisode before it was canceled according to IMDB. (Internet Movie Database)

Actually, I remember that series, but I couldnt really get into it. It lasted 22 episodes. I remember it was dropped from one channel and picked up by the WB I believe or maybe it was Fox. I saw a couple of episodes, but it wasnt my cup of tea.

Musketman said:
It only lasted for the TV Pilot and one eppisode before it was canceled according to IMDB. (Internet Movie Database)

It lasted long than that - about one season. I enjoyed it even though Linda Evans was wearing more than she wore on Wonder Woman. Rodney Grant as Chingacook was a little young for the part but he is a good actor and did a credible job. I had heard that Lee Horsley used his own rifle in the part.

I liked it a lot better than the old '50s series with Lon Cheney Jr. as Chingacook.

Latest posts

Back