• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The OLDEST in my BP collection …

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How about an 8-shot Chinese ‘hand cannon’ or hand gonne from the 15th century Ming Dynasty.

No, I’ve NOT shot this one. Each chamber was fired individually.

Chinese Hand Cannon.jpeg

I'd like to see something pictured with this so I can get an idea of the scale.
How did it work? It looks to me like all eight of those chambers/barrels terminate together at the back, and so one initial charge there would set off all eight barrels at once. Is that correct? But then that open end would have to be closed off somehow. Or is there a touch hole on each chamber that can't be seen in the photos?
Are you sure it isn't just the spout for a water fountain? LOL

The large socket and goes on a tiller, otherwise a staff or a long pike. I bet it was real heavy to wield in use. Each chamber is fired individually, many times by a second person so that the first person could hold and aim, while the second person would ignite it.

I have to believe that this was predominantly a defensive weapon, think like troops storming a fortification or palace and inside you can’t really wield a bow & arrow and you’re trying to rush down a hallway. A 2-person team at the end of the hallway could really stop an attack, never mind the“shock & awe affect” if they had never faced firearms in battle.

When arms like this were fielded in Europe, I think the most I’ve seen offhand has been 4 barrels, but most were individual barrels so that they could be wielded and aimed better. And after being shot, you still had a defensive pike/staff to use, with some type of steel pommel or point on the other end.

Recall that even in the age of musketeers, typically there would be a few pikemen around them to protect those ranks, especially from calvary charges.

The large socket and goes on a tiller, otherwise a staff or a long pike. I bet it was real heavy to wield in use. Each chamber is fired individually, many times by a second person so that the first person could hold and aim, while the second person would ignite it.

I have to believe that this was predominantly a defensive weapon, think like troops storming a fortification or palace and inside you can’t really wield a bow & arrow and you’re trying to rush down a hallway. A 2-person team at the end of the hallway could really stop an attack, never mind the“shock & awe affect” if they had never faced firearms in battle.

When arms like this were fielded in Europe, I think the most I’ve seen offhand has been 4 barrels, but most were individual barrels so that they could be wielded and aimed better. And after being shot, you still had a defensive pike/staff to use, with some type of steel pommel or point on the other end.

Recall that even in the age of musketeers, typically there would be a few pikemen around them to protect those ranks, especially from calvary charges.
If it’s viewed as a replacement for a crossbow, it has a higher rate of fire and less unwieldy than the heaviest crossbows.

One book on Renaissance warfare I’ve read claims that siege warfare was the main force for innovating hand held fire arms, so that sounds right.

I don't think it's a hand cannon at all; some other use, perhaps? No way are you getting the charges to loop down a curved "barrel"; if anything, it's a 'one off' that never 'caught on'. I saw this someplace else, I seem to recall. :)

No way are you getting the charges to loop down a curved "barrel";
Well simple, that's because ... they don't at all. Don't let the curved design fool you, that is more of a strucural component than astestics, done so to join the large chambered 'mug' (containing multiple barrrels) to the one larger socket that's placed on a staff or remnant pike.

By design it is an 8-chamber/barrel INDIVIDUALLY fired weapon for close-quarters battle only, where each barrel had their own touch hole. These were shot by a 2-man Team.

FWIW the Europeans never fielded such arms of that many barrels due to the weight and practicality of 'aiming' at a longer distance. Aimed fire and the desire to reduce the manpower down to 1-person - just the shooter - led to the development of the 'S'-shaped serpentine.

Although the earliest documented hand gonne in use as a true firearm traces back to 1288, the serpentine wasn't added to Hakenbusche or 'Hack Butt' arquebuses until 1411, as the 1st recorded date. Prior to the adoption of the serpentine, European troops did field single-shot hand gonnes as shot by indiviuals as well as in 2-man Teams. It was significantly easier to train the conscripted peasants to hold and fire a hand gonne that is was to train them on crossbows or the longbow (by a LONG shot, no pun intended, as that took years!).

... if anything, it's a 'one off' that never 'caught on' ...
Less they made 1,000s ... LOL! Not too many extant examples exist outside of museums or private collections. Sometimes we see 2-shot gonnes added to halberds or battle axes, but those were more so the "one off" examples.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back