• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Return of Thompson-Center

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ethan @ILoveMuzzleloading interviewed the head of Thompson-Center on his podcast. Their first goal is to bring out in-line rifles in time for the hunting season, while the more traditional "Hawken" style rifles will come out later on, maybe next year. It will be interesting to see if their resurrected "Hawken" will be a more accurate copy. Because they are retooling, I hope they refine the old design to be more historically accurate. Whatever they do, this is good news.
Thanks to Ethan for keeping his finger on the pulse of the industry.

Even if they didn't bring back a more authentic Hawken, bringing back their classic line would be just as cool, especially models like the New Englander and Seneca.
yes Sir....the new englander I shoot is 28 years old. It will outlast me probably. The problem would be is them making them to the standard (barrels} as they were before. The locks were always meh so maybe they will improve to that effect.

Supposedly they bought an empty factory here in my home town of Wabash, Indiana. I'm told they got a 10 year tax embedment from the town. No word as to when they plan to start up or what they plan to make.

How many thousand dollars would a new Hawken be should they ever get that far?

Good question. It looks like most used TC Hawken rifles sell for around $500, so I would guess they will come in less than a thousand dollars.

Since new Great Plains Rifles are hovering around a grand now(if you can find one) I'm not that optimistic about a TC being under 1000 bucks in ever how many years it takes them to get up & running.

The last few years TC Hawkens were still listed in the catalogs they were around 800 bucks.

Since new Great Plains Rifles are hovering around a grand now(if you can find one) I'm not that optimistic about a TC being under 1000 bucks in ever how many years it takes them to get up & running.

The last few years TC Hawkens were still listed in the catalogs they were around 800 bucks.

You're probably correct on that, especially if they are made in America, which I hope they are. Kibler also hinted that he might be working on a Hawken kit next. It's difficult to find any decent BP rifle for under a grand. I have a Traditions flintlock Mountain Rifle that was less than a grand. It shoots great, but the fit and finish leave something to be desired. You get what you pay for, I guess.

I’m not a big inline fan. But some of the walnut stocked TC’s were nice looking guns.

One thing they must do is - have very good quality barrels. No cute stuff - just make a quality rifle that shoots well.

I have two T/C Pa. Hunters - flinty and perc. Had the flintlock re-worked by Cabin Creek. $$$. Both are going to be sold. Both near new condition.

One thing they must do is - have very good quality barrels. No cute stuff - just make a quality rifle that shoots well.

I have two T/C Pa. Hunters - flinty and perc. Had the flintlock re-worked by Cabin Creek. $$$. Both are going to be sold. Both near new condition.

And if they'd work to tighter tolerances & not rely on hot-melt glue for everything it'd be nice too. And use some screws that are harder than modeling clay.

Ethan @ILoveMuzzleloading interviewed the head of Thompson-Center on his podcast. Their first goal is to bring out in-line rifles in time for the hunting season, while the more traditional "Hawken" style rifles will come out later on, maybe next year. It will be interesting to see if their resurrected "Hawken" will be a more accurate copy. Because they are retooling, I hope they refine the old design to be more historically accurate. Whatever they do, this is good news.
Thanks to Ethan for keeping his finger on the pulse of the industry.

I have often railed at T/C for their rendering of a "Hawken" rifle. There was no resemblance to the deceptively simple architecture of the Plains rifles with their large calibers and iron hardware. After three years of participating in the Hawken Classic events in St. Charles Missouri and looking at the displays of Hawken rifles and contemporary makers, I have come to realize that the Hawken Brothers and their successors at the Hawken Shop in St. Louis made a diverse offering of rifles. In fact, many of the Hawken "squirrel" rifles have a similar look with the half stock, single barrel wedge and brass hardware to the T/C Hawken rifle. Dimmick small caliber rifles and Gemmer (sometimes marked Hawken) rifles have similar brass hardware to the T/C rifle. I am coming to speculate that the rifle that was used by T/C to design their "Hawken" rifle was one of the Hawken squirrel rifles built for economical modern manufacturing and since the metal for barrel steel was more able to support a 45 or 50 caliber bore for modern deer hunting. At the same time T/C and Lyman collaborated on the design of the Maxi-Ball (as everybody just knew that round balls weren't effective hunting bullets). The 36 and 32 caliber Hawken rifles still had large across the flats tapered barrels for target and short hunting trips. T/C used straight barrels and used 45 and 50 caliber barrels along with the 1 in 48 twist used originally by the Hawken brothers and most other rifle makers. That twist was also a reasonable twist for the Maki-Ball to engrave in the shallow button rifling. The shallow rifling didn't help round ball performance but would work at an acceptable level of performance.

I would hope that when T/C starts up the traditional line of muzzleloaders that they keep to a traditional rifle. One with iron hardware similar to the iron hardware used in the modern Hawken Shop iron hardware upgrade kit would be nice. While this still won't be a truly authentic Hawken Plains rifle, it should still be welcome.

eating popcorn.jpg

Being mad that TC didn’t produce historically accurate firearm reproductions is like being upset with Taco Bell for not making authentic Mexican food.

They were in the business of selling guns, and they sold gobs of them.
You sir are correct I have 3 T/C Hawken rifles and them will be here til I die 1 I purchased new in the early 80,s #2 was my fathers that I inherited when he passed away and #3 was my brothers that has passed away all have sentimental value to me Also housing my son's Renegade that always seem to show up here when it needs cleaning

Back