• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Think I turned another one to the DARK side..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My brother just purchased a new inline, I know we dont' mention it here.. but for descriptive purposes only..I will. Anyhow he asked me to help him sight it in. So he came over and picked me up, I loaded up my rifle, bag and horn in his car and away we went to my Dad and Moms for a day of shooting. Anyhow, I showed him how to load it and showed him how to load mine, I was able to help him out ( cleaning jags, T-handle, spit patches ect.) with virtually everything either made or purchased, in my possibles bag. We got his rifle bench sighted and it shot "OK"...then I shouldered My Jim Bridgers Hawken with a Green Mountain barrel and shot cloverleaf groups offhand at 50 yrds. Shot a pop can at 50 yards.. then shot a Milk Jug with frozen water in it at 80 yards. He was VERY impressed.I then let him have a turn with my rifle and he shot very well with it too, then wanted to buy it off me! He is already talking about selling his ( junk) and buying a Hawkens. I'm not patting myself on the back..just very proud of how my Hawken went toe to toe with a new T/C inline and made it look like a pile of manure.

Congrats! I always preffered traditionals over in^&*), but don't have a problem with them as a tool to get new shooters over to our dark side like you just did. I love outshooting in&(*)s and modern cartidge guns with my traditional guns. I get beat sometimes too, but not very often. I think you did great. :hatsoff:

Thanks man! I was a little nervous, Being brothers we are very competitive... I would have NEVER lived it down if he would have out shot me!
It was also VERY cold out with a light south westerly wind. That added a little to my concern. However all turned out well!

It seasy to forget that we all start somewhere.. I started with an inline to hunt with. inside of 3 months this forum made me purchase three sidelicks... Kilt a decent deer the first year with a TC renegade and three months later the inline was sold... Today I can almost shoot with the scoped centerfire guys at "sight in time" in the fall; its hard to keep a poker face when they come back with a 3" group that " is good enough to kill a deer" and I come back with the same 3" group using open sights and a PRB.

Good job. We need a lot of new people. My eyes are old but I still dont need a inline or a scope. When you think about hunting just look at all the years you killed deer and how far they where. Most are 30 yards. Do an avarage and you dont need a scope or inline. I love to match them shot for shot. Course I tell them we wont be sitting at a bench. Standing only. Way to manny of the modern people do all there shooting sitting down, comes time to take a shot standing and they are all over the place. Again good job.

nice job! now he can sell that new fangled POS and get himself a real gun.

onley times my longrifle has loses out to one of those things is shooting at 100+ yards. at 50-75 yards their is no comparison, my longrifle beats em 90% of the time (the 10% are people who are simpley much better shots than me).

-Matt

Great job! I too started with a 'Buck Rodgers" rifle and was turned over as well. The only one in my gun cabinet now is my sons and try as I may, I don't think he will turn. He is spoiled with the scope. But, today I carried my Perdersoli Frontier .50, and as two bucks came running in close he couldn't turn his scope down fast enough. All said and done, I have my deer and he has to keep hunting! :hatsoff:

Roguedog said:
Hey Wattsy,
What is "sight in time"?

Jeff

Its the last two weeks before genreal deer season and the ONLY time some ever shoot their rifles; three shots to make sure its "good enough to kill a deer" and back in the case the rifle goes.... :wink:

Wattsy said:
Roguedog said:
Hey Wattsy,
What is "sight in time"?

Jeff

Its the last two weeks before genreal deer season and the ONLY time some ever shoot their rifles; three shots to make sure its "good enough to kill a deer" and back in the case the rifle goes.... :wink:

this is the main reason i will not hunt durring modern season! most of the people out there have little to no idea how to use the gun they are carrying.

-matt

Thanks for clarifying Wattsy. I agree, there are plenty of folks who shoot 1-3 rounds a year to make sure the "sights are still on". Some don't even do this. With hunting lands becoming more crowded, I am definitely a lot more skittish in the woods when I'm up moving around and have all but quit hunting public lands during rifle season. Too many inexperienced hunters out there with major centerfire cannons that have greater killing ability than the shooters do judgement. I don't cotton to the idea of getting shot or shot at! Anyway, glad another was turned on to traditional shooting. I do what I can to keep the traditon alive.

Jeff

I had a spot at the local municipal range next to a group of three "sportsmen" this last fall. All three equipped with some kind of thirty caliber, scope equipped, black plastic and stainless steel centerfire boomers. I use tactical ear muffs, works better with my hearing aids, and could listen in on their conversation. They took turns shooting one shot at the same target at 200 yards. Surprisingly, after five rounds each they could not figure out who shot where. They finally decided that since they were on paper it was good enough and once they got in camp they could shoot at a rock to see where they were hitting. The funny part is that they were flying out on a guided hunt that afternoon at five o'clock. :idunno:

Roguedog said:
Thanks for clarifying Wattsy. I agree, there are plenty of folks who shoot 1-3 rounds a year to make sure the "sights are still on". Some don't even do this. With hunting lands becoming more crowded, I am definitely a lot more skittish in the woods when I'm up moving around and have all but quit hunting public lands during rifle season. Too many inexperienced hunters out there with major centerfire cannons that have greater killing ability than the shooters do judgement. I don't cotton to the idea of getting shot or shot at! Anyway, glad another was turned on to traditional shooting. I do what I can to keep the traditon alive.

Jeff
TOTALLY AGREE! The same people who do the 3 shots to simply make sure there guns or rifles are sighted in are normally the ones that do other unsafe practices. For that reason I normally shy away from public land while the " Orange Army" is marching.

Yep, you don't get too many second chances when your hit with a round from a high powered centerfire rifle, or any other rifle for that matter. We have to do what we can to stay safe.

Jeff

Glad you "turned" your brother. :thumbsup:

The sad thing is, the money he wasted on the in*^@# could have been better spent on a real rifle or shooting supplies...if only he'd known.

(Sigh) Some of the lessons in life cost a bit more to learn than others.:rotf:

Back