• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103
Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is this a third pattern brown Bess (India Pattern) or a Tower 1839 musket? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1334.jpeg
    IMG_1334.jpeg
    605.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1335.jpeg
    IMG_1335.jpeg
    723.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1336.jpeg
    IMG_1336.jpeg
    591.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1337.jpeg
    IMG_1337.jpeg
    662.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1338.jpeg
    IMG_1338.jpeg
    658.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1339.jpeg
    IMG_1339.jpeg
    742.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1340.jpeg
    IMG_1340.jpeg
    583.4 KB · Views: 0
The lock plate appears a little bit smaller than the mortise (looking at the gap at the tail), so it originally had a longer lock I think. Also, I am not sure of the actual Bess pattern but that long return on the butt plate looks like an early model Brown Bess. What is the barrel length?

It's not a Pattern 1839.
It appears to be an India Pattern Bess converted to percussion but difficult to say for sure from your photos. Please post photos of: the full gun from the sides (not from one end or the other), the butt plate tang, the trigger guard, the side plate, the barrel breech and a close-up of the entire lock plate. Also any markings at all.
PathfinderNC is correct that the barrel length is important.
From the marking I see on the butt stock, I believe it will be an East India Company model.

Is this a third pattern brown Bess (India Pattern) or a Tower 1839 musket? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It’s a third model brown Bess for sure, the barrel length, three rammer pipes, stock shape and triggerguard are all third model. East India Stamps too.

The buttplate tang is longer, more similar to an early long land however the overall size of the plate is much smaller, long lands were around 7/8 bigger in all directions.

It could be a very early third model, and surplus parts were being used up, but the East India Company wasn’t making long lands so its a bit of a mystery, I’m going to go with a the theory that the butt plate is a private upgrade or some sort, or perhaps added later on to correct some damage to the comb.

Last edited:
The lock plate appears a little bit smaller than the mortise (looking at the gap at the tail), so it originally had a longer lock I think. Also, I am not sure of the actual Bess pattern but that long return on the butt plate looks like an early model Brown Bess. What is the barrel length?
It’s 39 inches, which is consistent with a third model

Latest posts

Back