• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson/Center Maxiball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imfrank

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was told that you can not shoot the t/c maxiball with the new muzzleloaders with a faster twist, and use only powerbelt bullets for better accuracy. Is this true? Thanks for your help! :v

Thompson Center designed the Maxi-Ball to perform in their rifles with 1:48 twist.

They are made to work with rifles with deeper rifling than what you see in new, modern rifles.

Since we do not discus those abominations here I hope this is enough information for you.

HD

I'd guess you could shoot Maxi balls in a faster twist than the 1-48. Might even shoot better than the old 1-48 twist. If you already have a rifle with a faster twist, give 'em a try. I wouldn't recommend heavy charges like 150 grains with maxi balls as they would most likely fill the groves with lead and be a mess to clean. Try 90 grains in a 50 cal and work from there.

Start with 50 grains of FFg powder under that Maxiball, and go up from there, is more like it. That heavy slug is going to talk back at you by the time you get to 70 grains. At 90 grains, its going to be trying to reshape your body parts. Above that, you have to be a masochist! :blah: :thumbsup:

Powerbelts are my go to bullet when i need a conical. Patched round ball should do really good with the 1:48 twist but you need to find a starting point and work with it.

If you have to use something other than prb, I would use and I do use the cheap shot sabot. All lead bullet and plastic patch. From T/C it shoots great out of a 1-48 and faster twist.

paulvallandigham said:
Start with 50 grains of FFg powder under that Maxiball, and go up from there, is more like it. That heavy slug is going to talk back at you by the time you get to 70 grains. At 90 grains, its going to be trying to reshape your body parts. Above that, you have to be a masochist! :blah: :thumbsup:

Amen to that. I could not beleive how much my Hawken(50 cal) kicked using 90gr.ff with a maxi-ball compared to my 54 cal gpr using 90fff and a prb! The 54 is fun to shoot,while the 50 is brutal!

I have a TC White Mountain Carbine with a 1 in 20 twist barrel and about the only thing it will shoot is a 370 gr maxi-ball with 70 gr. of fffg and a bore button. Short barrel this load has a lot of muzzle jump.

I got a GM barrel w/ a 1 in 28 twist for my renegade....It shoot shoots most connicals well enough at 90 - 100 grains of Pyro Rs BUT an OP wad was THE necessary ingredient to stop "gas blow by" and killing accuracy.

mtjsw said:
I have a TC White Mountain Carbine with a 1 in 20 twist barrel and about the only thing it will shoot is a 370 gr maxi-ball with 70 gr. of fffg and a bore button. Short barrel this load has a lot of muzzle jump.

I used a heavier charge in my WMC with that same maxi-ball and put a few deer in the freezer with it. I also had no problem with the 370 maxi-ball in both 1-28 and 1-38 twist barrels. But...it's roundballs for me now. :v

Back