• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Thousands of missing fingers" ?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do we all get to guess who it was, or are you going to PM all of us with that info. ::

I'll tell'ya fer'a "dime"!! :crackup: :crackup:

Normally I'd only charge a nickle,.... but, I gotta split with tha feller what told "me" who it was!! :cry: :cry:

YMHS
rollingb

Just another bunch of BS from some activist or no-nothing "expert". Where's the documentation. If this were even a minor consideration, wouldn't every manufacturer of muzzleloading firearms provide a caution in their manual? Wouldn't the NMLRA at least refer to it in their safety rules for black powder shooting? Wouldn't it at least once appear in the myriad safety rules for muzzleloaders available from any number of organizations? Wouldn't at least one of us with our collective years of shooting muzzleloaders hav witnessed such an ocurrence? Over the years I've learned to say "never say never", but, this is so remote as to be rediculous.

" I keep my gun pointed towards the sky"
Now, Zonie, what if that was to act like a lightning rod and zap you. :: :crackup:
Thousands of golfers .......... :crackup:

Damn! I didn't realize how dangerous these things can be :shocking: :bull: At my age I've had enough been there-done thats to continue putting myself in harms way :rolleyes: Maybe I should just dump them in the Chappaquiddick, where I know nobody will look for them and they won't hurt nobody :cry: :blah:

Maybe I should just dump them in the Chappaquiddick, where I know nobody will look for them and they won't hurt nobody :cry: :blah:

Chappaquiddick?

Isn't that an Indian name for Bad Senator???

Let's see!! :hmm:,.... right off tha top'a my hed,.... I know "No Flints" is miss'n his right thumb,.... and "Three Fingers" is miss'n his "pinky and the finger next to it" on his right hand,...... BUT, neither of those two "dedicated" muzzleloader shooters lost ther fingers due to muzzleloaders.

Makes me wonder tho, if they are part of "Tri.. 'er, uh", (boy thet 'bout slipped out) "Mr. Annonymus's" statistics??

YMHS
rollingb

5352.jpg

Sorry, posted picture in the wrong place... :winking:

I don't believe thousands of m/l shooters have lost fingers. I don't disagree with the blowing down the barrel for safety reasons. If you dislike the practice for the appearance or whatever, I can't argue with that.
I have met a guy who had lost a finger with a m/l. He was ramming the ball down when it went off. Boom, lost his finger. I wasn't there I can't vouch for his story. I can't even figure out how it happened. All I can say is he has a missing digit, and that is what he told me.

If this "statistic" (and I use the term loosely) is refering to the # of accidents in the history of mankind, I would like to see the documentation, which I doubt exists. If this "statistic is refering to the last 50 years when muzzleloading came back into favor and became widely used, I call :bull:. I come from a ML family and in 35 years do not know anyone that has lost a finger. Many members of this list who have also been MLing for many years have also indicated that they don't know of anyone. Keith knows one, and Randy Hedden knows one that shot the RR thu his hand (no lost fingers tho) so that's two accident out of the THOUSANDS of ML aquantances of the members of this list. I'm sure there are others but I believe it to be RARE. I follow a few ML forums and every once in awhile the issue of blowing down the barrel comes up. Of all the members of all the lists, the two previously mentioned accidents are the only ones I recall hearing about. "Thousands of lost fingers"????? sorry, I don't buy it. However, if more ranges and clubs adopt the NMLRA's "no blowing" policy, we could start to see a few fingers end up downrange, but it still won't reach into the "thousands" :imo:

I can't think of a single first or second hand case of a muzzleloader costing anyone a digit. Or even a flash or firing at the muzzle while loading.

I've met a couple folks my age who wished they hadn't toyed with M-80's as teenagers. :shocking:

Around here, snowblowers seem to claim a few piddies every winter. Ouch. Something like a rock or stick gets stuck and the operator reaches in to free it. Ouch, ouch.

I know someone who's hammer was blown in his face while loading. He was lucky, still has both of his eyes, but there're still some holes in the ceiling.
Heard of another shooter who's ramrod went into the ceiling, that's why you shouldn't grab it from the top :)

I know someone who's hammer was blown in his face while loading.

Just wildly curious...how could a hammer hit a person in the face WHILE he is loading?????? :: Seems like it would take a feat of gymnastics to be in the position. :hmm:

not doubting you...just don't want to contort myself for it to happen to me!

If someone thinks he needs a "hammer" to load a muzzleloader, maybe he'd be better served shoot'n a centerfire rifle.

YMHS
rollingb

I know someone who's hammer was blown in his face while loading. He was lucky, still has both of his eyes, but there're still some holes in the ceiling.
Heard of another shooter who's ramrod went into the ceiling, that's why you shouldn't grab it from the top :)

He was loading it in the house?

I think he means a hammer to pound a ball in. Not the hammer on the lock. If that isn't what he means I'm confused too. I can see where vigorously hammering a ball down could cause a detonation easier than an ember remaining alive for several minutes.

I did meet one guy that flicked cigarette ashes into the glass jar he was using to hold his powder. Absent minded thing you know.

It cost him two fingers and the sight in his right eye, scarred him badly up and down his right side.

He never recognized it as a result of his own stupidity but "blamed" it on the evil nature of black powder, which he feels should be outlawed before it attacks any other inocent parties!

:hmm: :hmm:

Back