• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Thousands of missing fingers" ?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't he know smoken is bad for ya!! They even say so on the pack :nono: He should be preechin about the hazzards of smokin :rolleyes: GLASS JAR?? NO COMENT on that one ::

:agree:
Lately I hear about somebody who saw somebody shoot half their face off while blowing down their barrel. I gotta ask 'em next time how many fingers the guy had! :crackup:
Bill
:thumbsup:

I did see one ignerant nabob manage to set off his rifle while loading. While he didn't lose a finger, he did lose a nice half moon shaped piece of meat off of forefinger and thumb. Apparently, this fellow had been counseled earlier about the stupidity of (you ain't gonna believe this) priming and closing the pan before loading. I do believe this bright light had also done his own lock slick-up job, and had significantly reduced the size of the full cock notch. :youcrazy:

Lately I hear about somebody who saw somebody shoot half their face off while blowing down their barrel.

I heard about this as well. I've heard alot about bigfoot, yeti, and the lock ness monster as well. perhaps this unlucky shooter is actually one of them :hmm: :: ::

I believe people that do not understand the basic operation, proper handling, and care of a muzzleloader, or any firearm for that matter, seem to make things up to justify their own inability to learn and handle firearms.

This is their out. "I could blow my fingers off! I could blow my head off!"

We are better off not having these people within ten miles of a firearm.

Caution is fine, safety is fine, knowing what the h-ll your doing is best! :imo:

I believe people that do not understand the basic operation, proper handling, and care of a muzzleloader, or any firearm for that matter, seem to make things up to justify their own inability to learn and handle firearms.

Caution is fine, safety is fine, knowing what the h-ll your doing is best! :imo:

You forgot to add "You could shoot your eye out!" Just like in the movie "A Christmas story"

BLAHMAN....You could have gone all day without saying "You forgot to add "You could shoot your eye out!" ......

I grew up in total parnoia fearing that something I did, or was going to do, was going to "put my eye out".

Mom would have been proud of you thinking like that. :redthumb:

As a youngster, my dear old mother drove me crazy with comments like;

Don't climb that tree...you will fall, and put your eye out!
Don't run in that corn field...you will fall, and put your eye out!
Don't ride that bicycle in loose gravel...you will wreck, and put your eye out!
Don't shoot that BB Rifle at those birds...it will ricochet and come back, and put your eye out!
Don't shoot that Bow...that arrow will bounce back, and put your eye out!
Don't catch that squirrel...he will scratch you, and put your eye out!

Fortunately, I have reached the age of 65 and still have both of my eyes.......Amazing!

And, while spending many of these years on the range, I have never seen anyone hurt with a muzzleloader...nor have I heard of anyone getting hurt with a muzzleloader. Not to say they don't.
I'm sure the guys in the NSSA probably know more about this.

Russ

:agree:
Lately I hear about somebody who saw somebody shoot half their face off while blowing down their barrel.

So, who IS that "half faced person"??!! Should be easy to spot! I am still skeptical, per my first post on this. I just don't think there is documented evidence. Now, those who have experienced situations while ramming a ball down....yes.........I personally know of one in our own club. No one knows why the gun went off. He is a safe shooter but that particular incident continues to baffle us. Unlike those who remain nameless, he sent a letter to Muzzle Blasts and provided details AND his name.

Would like to hear more detail on how the gun went off while blowing down the barrel.....

TexiKan
---------------
A man cannot build a reputation on what he is going to do!

Blahman,
I personally haven't heard or seen of anybody who's ever shot their fingers off, but I have seen my share of them who have shot their mouths off on many occasions.
Smokeydays

Now, I did make a BB trap for use in my cellar as a teenager and a BB from my Crosman 760 caught the plywood edge of the box squarely and came back on me. Put a nice, little circular chip in the lens EXACTLY where my pupil ended up looking through when aiming.

Sure was a blessing to have been wearing glasses that day.

I have an uncle thet had his left eye put out with a dart when he was a kid, and this didn't happen while blow'n down the barrel of a "blow gun",.... anuther kid threw the dart at him.

I also had anuther uncle (older then the one with the "glass eye") thet had his left-leg cut off by some farm machcinery as a youngster.

Accidents "DO" happen, but I still don't know of anyone thet "shot his finger off" with a muzzleloader,.... and, I know far more muzzleloader-shooters, then I have uncles!!

YMHS
rollingb

RussB: I bet she said "...and don't play with that! you'll go blind! In fact..playing with That will put your eye out too!" :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
Now me, I didn't believe my mom and I played with it, so I ended up with cataracts. (Fortunatly lens replacements fixed that).

"...So, who IS that "half faced person"??!! Should be easy to spot!..."

He probably wears a mask. A straw mask??? Hummmm.
Hay Mooskeetman, are you listening?? :: :: :: :crackup: :crackup:

"thousands of muzzleloaders who have missing fingers"

I'm missing two fingers!!!! Maybe it's just a coincidence... people with missing fingers like to shoot muzzleloaders! Oh, but I didn't shoot mine off! Maybe we could have a new forum for us folks missin' digits... "Muzzleloading for Shooters Missing Fingers" - hey, there's thousands of us! (And I thought I was one in a million!)
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Now, I did make a BB trap for use in my cellar as a teenager and a BB from my Crosman 760 caught the plywood edge of the box squarely and came back on me. Put a nice, little circular chip in the lens EXACTLY where my pupil ended up looking through when aiming.
Sure was a blessing to have been wearing glasses that day.

I thought you kind of resembled that kid in Christmas Story Stumpy! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
YMH&OS, :redthumb: :blah:
Chuck

RussB: I bet she said "...and don't play with that! you'll go blind! In fact..playing with That will put your eye out too!" :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
Now me, I didn't believe my mom and I played with it, so I ended up with cataracts. (Fortunatly lens replacements fixed that).

Blame'n inlines fer my "blindness" works fer me!! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :thumbsup:

YMHS
rollingb

The sick part about this is that "IF" they live through it, they could sue the manufacturer and win...

Actually that was my Dad's job. He always said "if you play with that, you'll end up blinder than a bat!"
When I reminded him that bats were not blind at all, and actually see quite well...even in the dark, he said, "Sssshh!...Mom don't know that"!

A real short story;
I have a friend who lost a finger tip back in the late 1940's while we were playing with blasting caps we had found in an old abandoned mine.

We found the "Powder Box" that had been burried, and was still locked tighter than a drum. Thinking this was where the Gold would be hidden, we wasted no time in getting that lock off. All that was in there was a few sticks of Dynamite, several roll's of fuse....the old 1-1 stuff, (1ft. 1min.)and about 4 or 5 boxes of caps with 50 to the box. :nono:

We were luck enough to have "played" with that dynamite for a year or so, before Ray had his accident with the dynamite cap, we were serious 9 and 10 year old Gold Minners!.....it took the first knuckle of his "pointer finger" off, and his thumb has been numb for going on 60 years. :youcrazy:

There has never been a get-together in the last fifty or so years that we have not "toasted" our luck.

There was an Angel somewhere back then, and you can take that to the bank! :peace:

Still, I still have never seen, or heard of a muzzleloading accident. Either all the warnings are really working, and have been working quite well for some time, or something is getting overstated.

Russ

I personaly know of more people thet got hurt smack'n a .22 cartridge lay'n on the sidewalk with'a hammer :youcrazy:,.... then what shot ther finger off with a muzzleloader!!

YMHS
rollingb

Missing fingers :huh: :what:

Now that explains all the typos we have here on the forum! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Woody

Back