• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Thousands of missing fingers" ?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard about this as well. I've heard alot about bigfoot, yeti, and the lock ness monster as well. perhaps this unlucky shooter is actually one of them :hmm: :: ::

Hey,

weren't me!!

Missing fingers :huh: :what:

Now that explains all the typos we have here on the forum! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Woody
That pruves ti teh striee is tru!

smack'n a .22 cartridge lay'n on the sidewalk with'a hammer

I'll hafta try that. :: ::

Regards, sse

I wouldn't if I were you.... I seen a kid when i was younger hit a primer in a shotgun shell brass with a ballpeen hammer and it damn near took 2 fingers off. Blew the head off the hammer and the head went through the front door of his parents house. This was just the brass and primer with the rest of the shell and shot removed . :shake: :shake:

Woody

smack'n a .22 cartridge lay'n on the sidewalk with'a hammer

I'll hafta try that. :: ::

regards, sse

Jest in case all hammers "group" tha same,.... ya might wanna slip a piece'a big ol'heavy iron pipe ('er sumpthin) over yore left arm , when'ya start smack'n thet cartridge!! :thumbsup:

YMHS
rollingb

My Dad told me once, there was a bridge over the railroad that him and his little brother used to take 16 ga. shotshells and stick them in the drain holes and smack the primer with a hammer. He said it made a hellofa noise. :shocking:
Of course, then he told me that they tore that bridge out and rebuilt it some 20 years before he told me that story.
Think he didn't want me to do something stupid, too? :shake:

I shoot a flinter and after firing, I wait a second and then blow down the barrel before reloading.
Howdy,
I was told one reason for not blowing into the barrel was that a persons breath has water droplets in it and it would cause some oxidation (rust) in the barrel. I've been sootin BP for a long while now and can not think of a time on the range or on the trail when powder has been set off with a lingering spark. I have to agree with the others that say the powder would more than likely go off without a compression load on it and just blacken some fingers. :m2c:

I shoot a flinter and after firing, I wait a second and then blow down the barrel before reloading.
Howdy,
I was told one reason for not blowing into the barrel was that a persons breath has water droplets in it and it would cause some oxidation (rust) in the barrel.

..... and some will say, the moisture from a person's "breath" will soft'n foul'n. (personaly I agree with these folks)

......... I never blow down a clean dry bore!!

YMHS
rollingb

DCP_3375.jpg
DCP_3374.jpg
I have all 10. And I still can't type :crackup:
Lehigh...

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, and I don't have the exact figures, but it takes somewhere around 400 degrees to set off black powder. A lit cigarete won't set of the powder

Heh heh. 2 stories. While in the Army in Germany, I volunteered in a community theater running a spotlight. The guy in the light booth would always be bragging to us about smoking during the performance. One night I slipped some BP into his ashtray, along with some stage flash powder. Man, when he stubbed his butt out the whole theater lit up!

I learned that trick from my Dad. He worked at an oil refinery. Somebody there had rigged up a gizmo that could refill butane lighters with straight propane. You would then leave them casually laying in the designated smoking areas. All veteran employees lit their lighters by pointing them away from the face.

And yes, I will not pass these nuggets on to my son until he is 18 and in the Army also.

P.S. I just remembered this one: My buddies and I used to make fun by loading BP into a film cannister and using cannon fuse to light it. What I never realized at the time was that my Dad was good friends with the gun store owner who sold me the cannon fuse (and knew we didn't have a cannon). I was a lot less tricky than I thought.

251446.jpg

:shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

Here are two of the "thousands"!

I learned to play all the instruments of the orchestra... they call me "Stump The Band"! :shake:

I said to the doctor, "Will I be able to play the piano when the bandages are off?" "Sure", he said. "Oh that's great", I replied... "I never could before!"

:crackup: :youcrazy: :sorry:

Back