• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tip Curtis Lancaster Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's looking good! what does the check piece side look like? Have you done any work on there?.

Is that tang got a hump?...or is it the picture angle...?
Just a thought, start your tang curve at the breach/barrel joint, undercut the tang if needed to get the curve started....

Just a thought.....
BP looks really tight and good!

Marc

I think it's the picture that may show a bump. I'll take a profile pic later with the tang bolt set in and all.

Thanks!

Hi Stuart,
Looking good. You still can take quite a bit of wood off the forestock. On my rifles, if you look down on the barrel, you will usually see no more than 1/16"-3/32" of maximum wood thickness on either side of the barrel. That is the maximum thickness at the apex of the radius of the stock, not the edge along the barrel. I have an original 18th century English fowler on which, if you look down on the barrel, you can barely see any wood at all, but that is facilitated by the round barrel (essentially no vertical sidewalls).

dave

Thanks for the feedback, Dave! With this being my first one, it definitely helps to get specific measurements on part of the wood. I have the RCA volume 1 and try to transfer the measurements the best I can, but this gives me a good idea.

One question: in the pics that I've shown, I've not even hit it with sandpaper yet, just rasps and finer files. How far do you guys do down before sanding? Thanks!

You've made good progress. Remember, from here on out is what shows. Some areas to watch for:

1. Front forestock to a thickness of about 1/16" final thickness.
2. Rear forestock about 1/8" final.
3. Lock panels above and below lock, about 1/8".
4. Cheekpiece about 4" long max.

Looks like you can remove a little more wood from behind the barrel at the breech also.

These areas can make or break an otherwise fine rifle.

Hi Stuart,
I try to get everything down with rasps,files,and then scrapers until it is virtually finished. Then I often use just 220 or 240 grit paper to finish it up. I try to avoid using paper near carving, moldings, and other edges to keep things crisp. Those areas are finished with scrapers.

dave

Would any of you guys mind taking a picture down the barrel to show how much wood should be left on each side of the barrel down the forearm? I know I've got more to go, I just don't want to take too much off. Thanks!

Slightly more than 1/2 of the barrel flat should show. And about two thirds of the ramrod should show. BJH

Thanks for those dimensions, but I meant more of the dimensions related to my lasted posted picture. For example, if I look down the top of the barrel, how much wood should show on each side of the barrel? More of the width, not height of the forearm.

Latest posts

Back