• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Toting a long flinter on a kayak

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to be paddling out to an island in a 16' kayak, in order to do some shooting / hunting. My gun is well over 5', so there's no way I can carry it inside. (I'm not sure I could tote any of my long guns inside, maybe not even a carbine.)

Has anyone here transported a long gun in a kayak? Canoe isn't a problem for these guns, but this isn't an appropriate paddle for a canoe. I guess I'm gonna have to lash it to the deck, with a water resistant cover. (What, I'm not sure.) I'd love to read how any of y'all have tackled this sort of thing.

Thanks.

I know Osprey uses kayaks when chasing Sika's. Just checked though and he hasn't logged in since last October. :hmm:

Not sure how ya would attach it to the outside of a kayak but I would think a water proof canvas could be used to wrap the gun in to keep the water off of it while en route. :hmm:

If it was me...knowing that Murphy's Law is my first cousin, I'd PLAN on the fact that the ML would end up submerged.

Therefore, I'd heavily double-wrap and double-tape seal that thing in heavy duty construction grade plastic so it was 100% waterproof and durable enough to stay that way. And I'd ensure I had with me whatever I'd need to reseal it for the return trip.

Talk to the people at your local Fed Ex, and UPS delivery services about packing. They may have long " Bags" made of plastic that you can buy to cover the gun.

I would assume for the trip that the gun is going to get wet, or at least dunked. "Murphy" has a permanent seat in my back pocket, so I never expect better! :rotf: :grin: Put a good Grease( water pump, or any of the soft wax/vegetable oil formulas discussed here) in the barrel mortise before putting the barrel back in the stock, to protect the underside of the barrel from corrosion from the harsh Salt water, AND AIR. A liberal oiling of the metal parts of the gun before you take it on the ocean is also in order. Then take a bottle of alcohol with you to help you clean the gun thoroughly when you get to the island to be sure it will function properly.

If you can't find or make a thick gauged plastic case for the gun, then use several layers of plastic wrap to seal the gun, and use duct tape to close the package. Then put the package in a gun case, as it will shed a certain amount of water. There are silicon sprays available to treat fabrics and leather to " water proof" proof them. As long as the case is not held under water for too long, they tend to work pretty well. I would give any fabric lined gun case a coating or 3 of the spray, then test the case, by throwing a palm full of water on the case to see if the water beads and runs off.

The nature of the kayak is to cut through wave " chop", and only keep YOU dry because of the waist cover that seals the kayak and you from water. If you could find a kayak big enough to let you put something as long as your rifle INSIDE, it would be worth while doing so. But, Most kayaks are just NOT built with that kind of cargo in mind.

Don't hesitate to cover the muzzle, and the vent hole or nipple to protect the bore of the barrel. Oh, if you can find a gun case that will be long enough for your rifle, AND is designed to float, buy it. If not, don't hesitate to use an extra rope or strap to attach the gun to your Kayak, so that the rifle will not be lost to deep water, if you overturn. I am talking about a loop around the wrist, or even through the triggerguard that is attached to the boat, IN ADDITION to whatever keeper straps you use to tie the gun to the kayak.

I've done a fair bit of it, but with conventional rifles or shotguns rather than MLs. Easiest and most secure is a "canoe bag" or dry bag built for guns. I've got a couple of them, and either would be plenty long for you when fully extended. One is an older one with tiedown rings and the newer one has a handle on it like a hard gun case. I prefer the former for shotguns and duck hunting because it acutally allows me to slide the gun out for a shot, then in again followed by easy reseal. The one with the single handle is not as well suited because the barrel and case have to go under one of the bunjis for security, making it difficult to extract and insert the rifle.

The older one I've got is something like 20 years old, and I haven't seen any like it for sale in years. I bought the second with the single handle recently from a local store, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding one.

Whoops. I just rechecked and my newer bag is just under 6', so by the time you roll over the end for watertight security it might be too short for you. The older one is 6.5', but no, it's not for sale. :wink:

How about a floating gun case,I use them in the duck marsh with the duck skiffs?

Thanks for the suggestions and tips, everyone. I went out for a sort of "shakedown" paddle yesterday using a length of PVC pipe that matches the length of my gun. The weight and balance are different, of course, but I figured it'd be a start. Man, I've got some work ahead of me! Unless I cut a hole in the forward bulkhead I've got to lash to the deck, and it will definitely take a lot of water. The force of the waves at the bow knocked it around enough that it spooked me a bit. It'll be awash most of the trip.

I do a lot of paddling, but I'm not a fan of carrying much on deck. Don't like the way it changes balance trim and wind characteristics. This will be an interesting paddle, that's for sure!

With the deck awash? sounds like its time for a different kayak. If the gun will affect the balance of the boat, how will an animal you harvest affect it? Just some food for thought.Sounds like a fun adventure.

Hey there Makeumsmoke;

I've actually got a pretty nice 16' sea-touring kayak that handles relatively high seas very well. The nature of the boat is that water usually washes over the deck, unless you're on flat water. One hopes it isn't green water, but it's water nonetheless. (That's why we wear those "skirts" when we're out. Don't want to get swamped.)

If I were to bag something and bring it back (academic, probably), I could quarter and pack it in my front & rear hatches,and keep the weight low and center. I doubt I'll get anything large enough for that to be an issue, though.

I figure the suggestions about making sure it's in an utterly waterproof container are right on the money. That'll be tough because of the length. We're talking about a gun that's well over 5' in length. Hell, it'll be tough enough to make it fast (secure) on deck.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate it. If anyone's interested I'll let you know how it turns out.

Well, we have " canoe" guns. This sounds like a practical application of a "kayak" gun. You may want to look at a short barreled rifle of some type for this island hunting endeavor.

Now that sounds like a really fun way to hunt. Out of curiosity, what state and what do you plan to hunt for?

I'm in South Carolina, BigBore. I'd dearly love to try for 'gator, but that's a newly legal thing here and there's just not a chance in Hades I could get a ticket for one. My buddy's talking about boar. I've never taken one, and I love the idea of harvesting one with my big ole smoothie. (I will also have a hefty side arm, just in case.)

This is all in the talking stage, so it could come to nothing. Planning and logistics seem like a big part of the fun, though, so I thought I'd include all my MLForum pals in it! :thumbsup:

What about said piece of PVC pipe??Get a piece large enough 4in-6in depends on gun, glue solid cap on one end, threaded cap on other, wrap gun in towels,sheets or something, lash it down and go hunting. Be safe and good luck. :v

Homesteader said:
I've actually got a pretty nice 16' sea-touring kayak that handles relatively high seas very well. The nature of the boat is that water usually washes over the deck, unless you're on flat water. One hopes it isn't green water, but it's water nonetheless. (That's why we wear those "skirts" when we're out. Don't want to get swamped.)

If I were to bag something and bring it back (academic, probably), I could quarter and pack it in my front & rear hatches,and keep the weight low and center. I doubt I'll get anything large enough for that to be an issue, though.

I figure the suggestions about making sure it's in an utterly waterproof container are right on the money. That'll be tough because of the length. We're talking about a gun that's well over 5' in length. Hell, it'll be tough enough to make it fast (secure) on deck.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate it. If anyone's interested I'll let you know how it turns out.

Here's an oddball suggestion from left-field. How about two PVC tubes - one tightly sealed on the bottom and the second with a watertight cap to store your flinter? Rig them as an ama to one side of the kayak. The bouyancy of the lower sealed tube helps support the weight of the flinter.

KayakAma.jpg

Just a wild thought. You'd have to set them out far enough to give paddle clearance inside the opening. Probably impractical.

We've got a pair of 14 footers and in poking around it seems to me an inside carry would be the way I'd do it, but ours are fairly wide (old fart Perception Sundance models) and the openings and internal floatation blocks allow my flinter (59" O.A.L.) to fit beside the seat and up under the coaming.

I love it! If I did it the second way, I'm pretty sure I'd lead the pack and have right of way whether I deserve it or not! :rotf: (Sort of what I always wanted when I rode a motorcycle: twin .50's.)

Y'know, that first idea might just have some merit. If I rigged it up similar to a paddle / float it could work like an outrigger. Sort of a South Pacific thing. I may just play around with that... :hmm:

I want PICS! :haha: Of everything.. :thumbsup:

I would be darn sure to plan for the worst, and take everything that would be needed to pull a ball.. and clean the gun. Before I would bag it up I would consider giving it a good waxing too.. I think Stumpy has the best idea so far. Finding the tubing to hold it will be the trick.. Maybe just some thin wall pvc would work? 6" id pvc will not work.. You would need more like 10" due to the stock profile your gun has and not to forget the hammer and frizzen that sticks above the stock... and what ever you use to wrap it up will and padding. :v

I like the idea of an outrigger for a sea kayak. And your design, with a large float underneath, and the other tube on top makes a lot of sense, too. There is no reason that the tube has to be way out there with the float, however. It could be strapped to the outrigger beams closer to the gunwales, so that the paddler simply reaches over it to put his paddle in the water.

I have never seen any value in capsizing a kayak in the sea, for any reason. I might be inclined to put outriggers on both sides of a kayak to give even greater stability.

Just some thoughts. Paul :hatsoff:

Back