• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Touch hole diameter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a couple rifles that spark well but don't always fire on the first go around. I use 4f as a priming powder, 3f for the main charge, and always pick the touch hole opening.
My touch holes are all 1/16th". I see comments here about going as large as 7/64ths, others who caution not going all the way up to 5/64ths. Assuming a person doesn't have a fellow shooter immediately to their right, what are the pros and cons and your recommendations? Thanks for your help.

The difference between the area of 1/16" hole and 5/64" is much bigger than one thinks. The area of a 5/64" hole is 56% larger than 1/16". If you decide to drill larger there are 5 different numbered bits between these 2 sizes:

1/16" 0.0625
52 0.064
51 0.067
50 0.070
49 0.073
48 0.076
5/64" 0.078

Your local Ace hardware has these. I'd start with a #52 and go progressive larger until you get the reliability you want. Don't go larger than necessary.

From timing tests I've done, I have a few opinions that will buy a Coke if you include 50c.

1. A 1/16" vent works well if properly located, kept clean, and properly maintained.
2. A clean vent is more important than a large vent.
3. I like #51 bit hole not because it fires better, but because a pipe cleaner fits - (remember "clean in #1.)
4. A dirty large vent does work better than a dirty small vent.

Regards,
Pletch

It is hard to diagnose without seeing how you prime, what the breech in the rifle is like and other factors. I am assuming you are getting flash in the pan but erratic ignition of the main charge.

1/16" should be enough on most rifles but sometimes you need to go a little bigger. I would first try a #51 or #50 wire gauge drill before going all the way up to 5/64".

Pletch, here on this site, did a study on prime placement in the pan. He found that the prime right under the touch hole but not covering gave the most flash into the main charge.

Try some of this stuff out and see if it helps.

I see I got caught in the web delay. It looks like Larry answered your question in a little more depth.

cowrustler said:
what are...your recommendations?

I use Goe 4F prime, with factory vent liners in several Flintlock rifles and smoothbores...all the vent liners have .070-.073" holes (#50/#49 drill bits).

Setting aside high speed photography and electronic timing equipment, ignition in all of them is as instantaneous and 100% reliable as I could possibly want it to be.

I drill all my touch holes with a #50 drill. I also cone both sides. I can't remember a FTF since I started this procedure.

This is an example:

IMG_3889.jpg

I also use GOEX 4f prime, level in the pan or slightly against the touch hole, never banked away from the touch hole.

My touchholes are also 1/16" and I have had little to no problems with that size if I do my part. I don't use vent hole liners either. (If I told you why I don't it would upset a lot of people.)

Great info. Did not know there were bits inbetween 1/16th and 54. Must go to my local Lowes and try to find some.

Yep, Lowe's and Home Depot don't have the low turn over products that a good local hardware store stock. Which is why I do most of my shopping at the local hardware store even if they sometimes cost a little more. When the local true hardware stores go out of business we then have to pay shipping charges that often cost far more than the item we need that the "big box" stores don't carry. :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

" (If I told you why I don't it would upset a lot of people.) "

I wouldn't get upset. I don't care what anyone uses/does if they got it to work, more power to'em. Still curious to your method, however.

cowrustler said:
I've got a couple rifles that spark well but don't always fire on the first go around. I use 4f as a priming powder, 3f for the main charge, and always pick the touch hole opening.
My touch holes are all 1/16th". I see comments here about going as large as 7/64ths, others who caution not going all the way up to 5/64ths. Assuming a person doesn't have a fellow shooter immediately to their right, what are the pros and cons and your recommendations? Thanks for your help.

Is this a vent liner of a simple drilled hole in the barrel?
Plain drilled liners need to be a lot bigger in my experience.
If you have a good vent liner there is no reason to exceed .070"
Dan

FWIW, I drill all mine to 1/16". Never had any reason to go larger. You don't want to go smaller. Some like it bigger but it can also depend on the gun.

Its just a hole. A 1/16" hole. No liner. Never tried a liner. Don't see a need to. Wrestled with a few folks back on another post on the period correctness of a stainless steel touch hole liner. To each his own. I don't mind the millisecond longer delay by not using a liner. :wink:

I agree that a White Lightning TH liner takes out some of the fun of shooting a flintlock...much shorter ignition delay and the powder charge goes off every time... no fiddling. But just for the heck of it, I install a WL on all my flintlocks but do open the TH w/ a #51 {.067} drill which further detracts from the joys of shooting a "cranky" flintlock. But in the final analysis, everyone should shoot what suits 'em....Fred

Back