• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Elk Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Cigallio

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Any suggestions on outfitters in New Mexico, Colorado, or Idaho for a period elk hunt?
Thanks in advance.
Ed

If you're referring to muzzleloading elk hunts, contact the respective game agencies for particulars. If you just want to use a MLer for elk in a regular rifle season, the same agencies should be contacted.

Your personal info is skimpy, but if you're not a resident of the states you mentioned, it can be complicated.

I've hunted MLer only elk in Colorado for many years and lately for a non-resident to be successful in the drawing, it requires a few preference points....some areas require quite a few PPs.

Write to the game management agencies of the states you listed and request info....these are the places to start.

Armed w/ the necessary info for each state, you can then narrow your choice and then research for outfitters......Fred

Ed; I've hunted Colorado for 19 years now. Half trad. bow; half early MZ season. All DIY hunts. Talked to alot of hunters there. Your chance of finding a Primitive friendly outfitter is about zilch. Our DIY hunts are not high percentage, but they're always a blast. Your best bet might be to contact other forum members, living in the areas your interested in, and seek their advice. As for tags, each state is different, as is availability within unit/areas. Colorado unit 28 for example is (almost) a shoe-in for a cow tag, only 1-2yr wait for bulls. Their trophy units however, may take as much as 15yrs. to draw. Seems like alot of work, i know, but well worth the effort. Good luck!

Thanks guys,
Fred, I am a resident of the states, if Georgia is still in the Union, I havent checked lately.
I appreciate your input on the topic. I know a DIY elk hunt is a tough gig out of state, a primitive hunt adds another degree of challenge. Unless you have a pal there to give a little geographical guidance, it can be very difficult to find elk.
I spent 5 days on the back of a horse in the Frank Church and saw only 2 elk in timber. Of course some of that can be blamed on the wolves. We didnt kill anything but it was great just the same. I cheated on that hunt and carried the 74 Sharps.
Thanks again guys.
Ed

Thanks guys,
Fred, I am a resident of the states, if Georgia is still in the Union, I havent checked lately.
I appreciate your input on the topic. I know a DIY elk hunt is a tough gig out of state, a primitive hunt adds another degree of challenge. Unless you have a pal there to give a little geographical guidance, it can be very difficult to find elk.
I spent 5 days on the back of a horse in the Frank Church and saw only 2 elk in timber. Of course some of that can be blamed on the wolves. We didnt kill anything but it was great just the same. I cheated on that hunt and carried the 74 Sharps.
Thanks again guys.
Ed

I spent 5 days on the back of a horse in the Frank Church and saw only 2 elk in timber.

Time for some expectation management. If you are actually hunting elk seeing two in 5 days is pretty good reward for unit of effort. (especially in timber)

It is not difficult to go 5 days in great elk country, hunting hard and perfect, hearing elk, smelling elk and never laying eyeballs to one.

If I saw 2 elk each 5 days I would hunt that spot for months and never feel I was wasting time.

If you got the dough hunt the Tuchodi Herd of Elk in N/E B.C with an outfitter. That is the most primitive ground in North America with elk on it. You wont hear any quads in the distance :wink:

My 2013 hunt I never saw a fresh elk track in :hmm: 4 days, then with my cousin while he was making a failed try at a mule deer. We looked down & there 1/2 a mile away, were the only 8 elk we saw all hunt.

I like preseason scouting, if you have 10 days I would think about 4-5 preseason. Here is why; In season it is to easy to convince yourself that you should stay at this spot or that. You can spend a day at a spot because it "should" have Elk.

Elk are where elk are, almost never where elk should be :idunno: preseason scouting You can't shoot, so you are more driven to find where they are :2 If a spot seems good you mark it & go on, rather then spend a day waiting ....

One last thing....those 8 elk.... Just before I saw them, I would have bet $100 that no elk was within 10 miles of me.

Have hunted Colorado MLer elk for a number of years and it always was DIY. Hired an ourfitter in Montana and it was a Hollywood production....very disappointing.

When we first started hunting MLer elk in 1986 in Colorado from the same campsite used throughout the years, the "bugle" worked great, but when it failed to work, went to 3 different cow calls and have killed many elk using these.

The camp is at 10,200 feet and we hunt up to 11,200. It's in a nat'l forest and off an old logging road. It's Utopia for sure.

In 1986 to find a good area, we read up on the different elk areas of Colorado and spent 3 wks scouting including the 10 day MLer season.....Fred

Latest posts

Back