• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Traditional" hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riley/MN

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just been wondering how traditional any of you get in your hunting. Here in MN we have to wear the blaze orange even during the ml-only season. How "traditional" do any of you get while hunting? Do you combine "trekking" with your seasons?

-Riley

Every April I plan a week long spring turkey hunt. I usually camp on some private land about 3-4 miles back on the Saluda River. I drive my ATV back with water jugs and leave them. Then I walk in... the hard way. I spend the week chasing pigs and turkey and the evening are spent by the fire reading and writing in my journal. It's really fun! 2 years ago I had a skunk invade my camp at night. It was trying into my supplies, I heard it, rolled over, and got blasted. I couldn't prime my 20g fast enough to let him hear Jordan's roll....

SP

I'm afraid my "traditionality" is limited to my firearm and accoutrements. I wear head-to-ankle blaze orange anytime I'm in the woods during open deer season for any kind of firearm. Even then I've had a couple near misses! Nothing like cutting through a cornfield and hearing a slug pass by. "Tif-tif-tif-fit-fit-fit." :eek: Or, being half asleep and having a slug slap the tree trunk above your head just before you hear the "Boom"! I've had both of these happen to me.

I hope to add a bit each year and eventually come up with a suitable outfit for hunting, even if I will definately still wear a blaze vest or cape over the top, for deer season at least.

Our M/L season opens tomorrow and it was 15

Here in Nebraska we are required to wear 400 sq inches of hunter orange on head and upper body... I wear the orange because it's required.

I try to keep the rest of my equipment as traditional as possible, but that doesn't always work out in December.

My rifle will always be a traditional rifle shooting the patched round ball with sidelock ignition of flint or percussion. No modern inline stuff in this family of hunter's! :thumbsup:

What Stumpkiller said!

After having a few slugs, bullets, and shotgun pellets head my way over the years, I don't think you can have too much orange on. I'd be hard pressed to give up my gor-tex, rubber boots, and polypropelene long johns, although I do love my wool pants.

PA here. We have a flintlock season that also includes archery and xbows (in most of the state). Typically you are hard pressed to find another hunter while flintlock hunting the late season.

No orange here during the flintlock season. Big ole parka and insulated pants when the temps require it or I am planning on being out all day on stand. Traditional shooting equipment, modern clothing. ::

Same here...not only do we HAVE to wear hunter orange, I don't feel safe without it...to many "suedo-hunters" around.

HO doesn't bother deer...I've had a number of occasions now where deer have come along, paused to look at the blob sitting on the ground leaning against the tree 20yds away, in a full size orange hunting coat, then resume and go on about their business...wind direction & movement is everything.

I do keep hoping I'll find a place that makes a full set of 2XLTall fleece lined, goretex covered, simulated buckskins!

:: ::

Just got back from a 4 day mostly primitive hunt, meaning that we had a propane heater in the tent. Had a tent mainly because the guy I hunted with didn't do a lot of trekking, otherwise I would have camped under the old lean-to diamond.

As far as orange goes, I always wear some and try to incorporate as much as possible into traditional garb. During warmer months I wear an orange bandana and kerchief, and usually will tie strips of blaze orange cloth to my arms and around my knees. Often I will tie a band around a tree. In the winter time, I wear orange wool mittens, an orange wool toque and tie strips usually, and tie my kerchief so that it is visible over my capote hood. My capote is of a Whitney horse blanket, and I'm 6'4", so it, too, sticks out.

I find, however, that no matter how much orange I wear, if someone is going to shoot at me, it's out of stupidity and not a lack of recognition. I had a bullet pass close enough to my orange hat once that I swatted at it thinking it was a horse fly. I have been pelted by more shot pellets than I care to remember and still carry one in my leg from someone who thought that I was a dove, apparently.

Anyone who has seen me will surely understand this hunter's confusion....

Anyway, I believe in orange, if for no other reason than to take the "I thought he was a (enter animal here)" excuse away from whatever dingus finally shoots me out there.

:results:

Anyway, I believe in orange, if for no other reason than to take the "I thought he was a (enter animal here)" excuse away from whatever dingus finally shoots me out there.

It also gives you a good reason to shoot back at said idiot. Then you can say he must have been trying to shoot me on purpose, nobody could mistake me for any kind of animal with all this blaze orange on.

I'd love to have a buckskin outfit but passed straight away, when I saw how much they are! :: I love to stillhunt with the flinter, that is my favorite. But, I hunt in modern clothes.

Good luck
Wess

That's full camoflague on private land, full blaze orange, red, yellow anything visible on public land. Twice I heard I saw some red and thought it was a turkey head. Just hate the sound of bullets passing by within inches. Guess it's better to hear then than feel'em. Just can't be tranitional here besides it's illegal to hunt with furr or feathers. Just use PRB bring the venison home. Makes those centerfires jealous.
Merry Christmas Fox

I am slowly "gravitating" to more and more traditional. Hunting in hardwoods and river swamp of N. Fla and on private land with a few family members only, no blaze orange. Although in camouflage, I where an "original" 1967 pair of elk hide Gokey snake boots and a Dixie Gun Works "possibles" bag customized with antler button and antler beam-handled knife made by John Durhan (no thumb guard, no stainless - its period correct!) The dark brown boots, bag, and stock of the GPR or Pedersoli 10 ga. "feel right" in the woods. Haven't carried modern firearm hunting for 4 or 5 years except for maybe once. :imo:

In Oregon there is no law requiring wearing hunter orange or anything else as far as that goes. Every year two or three people get killed, usually by themselves in or around a car. Pulling the rifle or shotgun toward you by the barrel is one type of fatal mistake. Over the past 30 years I can think of three or four people shot for game, but again it was stupidity on the shooters part more than the lack of loud colors. Actually hunting in Oregon is safer than going to church as far as fatalities go. So I'm not sold on hunter orange, in fact I've heard it argued that it might be best to wear cammies, then it's harder for someone to see you and get a clear shot. All that said, I did own enough land at one time that we were able to hunt deer wearing traditional outfits. But we didn't do it all that often, and we were in a place that was realitively safe from unexpected hunters. I don't own that property any more, and I sure don't hunt in buckskins on public land. I use traditional equipment, not clothing. Let me tell you a story of a fella hunting coyotes wearing a coyote skin hat. You are probably getting the drift already, but here goes. Three guys decided to take their muzzle loaders and go out into the desert of eastern Oregon and call coyotes. They got to where they wanted to hunt, and split up, our hero (Hal) going up one side of the canyon, while the other two split up and went up the other side, fixing to set up and cover all approaches. They lost track of each other. Hal took a position in a pile of rocks that offered comfort and cover and started calling. He had his head down kind of calling into his capote to muffle it a bit. First he'd call up the canyon, then across the canyon, then down the canyon, squeeking like a hurt rabbit. Then he'd repeat. Unknown to both of them, one of his partners was seated directly across the canyon from him. As Hal turned his head to call, the guy across the way saw the movement and thought he could see a coyote digging in the rocks for a mouse. Nobody had thought to bring along binoculars, so he didn't know for sure, but the longer he watched the more convince he was that the coyote was digging out a mouse. So he set the trigger, took a rest, guessed at the elevation and touched her off. At that moment Hal was calling across the canyon. He was sitting on the rock just like you would sit in a chair -- knees bent, but leaning forward calling into his coat. The first thing he noticed was just behind his knee all of a sudden there was a .54 caliber hole with steam coming out of it. The windage was right on, but the elevation was off about a foot. He had been aiming at Hal's head. The ball ranged up his leg, lodging in his pelvis in a spot the doctors deemed too dangerous to go after. For ever after Hal's buckskinning name was "Three Balls". You will be pleased to know that this story ended happy. They had a long walk and Three Balls bled a lot, but they got him to a doctor and everything turned out fine. One interesting bit of info though, he was wearing blue jeans, and the ball repatched it's self with dennim, so he actually had a patched ball in his pelvis. This caused the doc some concern, but I guess they have medicine that kept it from getting infected. I used to have a picture of the Xray showing the ball in the pelvis, but I can't find it now. Years ago I wrote a story about it in I think "Buckskin Report" that some of you guys out there might remember. One of the non traditional things I do carry when hunting is a good pair of binoculars, because target indentification is really really important. I use binoculars a lot, even up close and it has paid off for me a number of times by finding deer that I couldn't see before, and at least once identifying another hunter when I saw movement but couldn't make out what it was.

That's a beneficial story as a reminder to all of us about the value of hunter orange...if he'd been wearing it that wouldn't have happened.

I know I've snapped to attention more than once when I saw the "head & ears of a deer"...only to finally figure out that it was just the accidental alignment of two or three pieces of foliage at a long distance that just happened to come into alignment at that particular angle...and looked real

The way some of them centerfire hunters shoot, I'm more worried 'bout git'n hit by a "stray bullet" when lead'n my pack-critters, the stories of pack animals git'n shot ain't a real "confidence builder" so,.... thet's why I have HO on them and me both. :shocking: :eek: :m2c:

Unner neith my HO, I wear PC cloths,.... 'cause they jest "feel right" fer hunt'n with a traditional muzzleloader!! :thumbsup: :results:

YMHS
rollingb

By the way, I have bought a capote from each of these lady's and they do a really nice job. The first link is a capote made by a lady in California and the second link is made by a lady in toronto canada. Highly recommend both if anyone is interested.

Hunter orange is so the game law guys can see you! Has nothing to do with safty! Just one more big brother thing from your GOV.

I usually hunt in full period dress, Mocs,Linen shirt, Wool maybe leather leggings, wool or linen weskit and a wrap over shirt in colder weather,those I hunt with say I show up real well, I do not have to, nor will I wear Orange...If it is my fate to die in the woods while doing what I love to do in full period dress, I cannot think of a better way to go. I rarely have much in the way of unwanted company in the areas I hunt so the risk is small.

Back