• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kept looking for the collar! :shocked2:

Bald Mtn Man. Hold your fire! :shocked2: Just kidding dude! I don't want to end up in one of your pictures. Taking a bobcat with any weapon is an accomplishment.

Hey BMM, What kind of rifle is that? You could put that to good use here in TN. We have a 2 week black powder season that runs BEFORE the rifle season, and DURING the rut. I hunted NY for years with shotgun, but didn't pick up the ML until moving here. I heard they were considering an early ML season for the southern zone. That ever happen?

My goal is to do all of my hunting in a traditional early colonial fashion. However we do have orange requirements. So I plan on making (or have the wife make) an orange waistcoat or short jacket, and I have been looking for white felt hat blanks to dye orange. Other than that all of my gear is as accurate as I can make it.

ronblack said:
... and I have been looking for white felt hat blanks to dye orange.
How about just pulling an orange tuque over the crown of your felt hat for the duration? Or would that not meet your state's requirements? I've done this with non-period hats.

Regards,
Joel

Greenmtboy,
I know you live out west, can you or anyone else tell me if the mountainmen of yesterdays wore all leather? Or is that just tv? Maybe it was only during winter months. I know they traded a lot during the vous, but I can just see the leather holding up better, maybe I am wrong.

Thanks

Custom Smokepole said:
Greenmtboy,
I know you live out west, can you or anyone else tell me if the mountainmen of yesterdays wore all leather? Or is that just tv? Maybe it was only during winter months. I know they traded a lot during the vous, but I can just see the leather holding up better, maybe I am wrong.

Thanks
I pritty much live in braintan leggings but my shirts westkits and Jackets are made of wool,canvas,linnin and oilskin, here is a pic of me setting up this years huntin camp
:thumbsup:

DSCF4855.jpg

Great stuff, reminds me of when I lived in Montana. Do you make everything yourself? Take care and thank you very much for all your pictures, they were great. Maybe someday we could burn some powder.

Bald Mtn Man said:
No orange requirement in NY, so I often hunt dressed like this:
2rfvxc5.jpg

BMM, I hunt in Cattaraugus County and dress much the same, except I wear the blaze orange tuque. Good hunting this season.

Kapellmeister said:
Vern... I'll answer for Ron... I believe he got the same one I had... it's from Michael Pullins at Ohio Valley Peddler and in 2005 it was $125. Last I knew, he had no web site but you can email him at ovpmp(at)bright.net or call (419)946-6174.

He has a website now http://www.ohiovalleypeddler.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much, my friend, for remembering me in my "time of need". :hatsoff: I'll give them a try to see if he still carries/makes the item that I'm interested in.
Again, I thank you.

Vern

Vern,

I just received one of OVP's reversible wool weskits (blaze / forest green) and it was $145.
It's warm and well made, pockets on each side, full length buttons and a couple extras.
Ask some questions about sizing because I had to send my first one back. I'm 6'3"/250lbs and Michael suggested a 3X for me........it was gigantic all around even over a thick blanket wool outershirt.

Sent it back at my expense and another $10 for return shipping of the new one. The length is now good but it's still really big around the waist.
The model I got has no taper from shoulders to bottom so it fits well across my shoulders and chest but there is a lot of material around the middle.
I know a seamstress who is going to take the back in a bit for me and give it some taper around the waist for a better fit.
This is one of those times where I wish I could have tried it on first because it wound up costing me around $165 until it was all said and done, and I still need to alter it a bit.......

Nice garment, but sizing sight unseen on it might be an adventure......

Matt; Thank you for the "heads up" on sizing. A whole lot of stuff that I hadn't considered. I can see where having to have it "remade" may well run the final cost up more than anticipated. Maybe a more in-depth discussion with the maker is in order?? One question though, is the person that you're dealing with co-operative (not giving you a hard time)?? Thanks again.

Vern

Back