• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Tennesee rifle for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLanoy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone use the Tennessee rifle by Traditions for hunting? If so, what is your max distance for such a short rifle?

Post kill pics if you have any! :grin:

50 cal, round ball, 1 in 66 twist. I don't have one but suspect the effective range would be be determined by what you feed it and can still shoot it accurately.

I have a friend that has a short Traditions flintlock that is surprisingly accurate.

Thanks for the response Erik. I was mostly wondering if it would have enough punch at 100yds with such a short barrel, to successfully take down a deer. I most likely won't shoot that far but, one never knows.

A close look at some ballistics's tables will show that a barrel over about 26" is just for a long site picture. Velocity drops in a shorty--but not enough to worry about at ML ranges 0 to 100 yd. German Jeager's have short tubes, and are well known as hunting rifles. Tom

Thank you Tom, I was hoping it would be that way. Looks like I might hunt with mine this coming season then if all works out. :thumbsup:

ballistics test' 42 inch barrel cut back one inch at a time. for ea. inch of barrel cut 10 fps where lost down to 24 inches. for every inch from 24 inches down 100 fps lost. this was the same barrel being cut down. 5 shots where down for ea. inch cut off. off. from Dixie gun works cat.

Thanks again! Getting her ready to go out and do some practicing from 75-100yds. Got to find that perfect load!

One more point that should make you feel better is that there is a huge delta in the "hunting loads" that are used. Some are pretty darned light but they seem to get the job done. I think I probably load heavy for hunting. My Investarms barrel is short but does well with heavy charges.

Geo. T.

I have a CVA Flintlock that only has a 24" barrel. I've had no trouble killing deer with it out to 75 yards or so. The longer sight radius is the main advantage of a long barrel IMO.

Latest posts

Back