• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

traditionsfoxriverfifty 54 cl

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypodog99

32 Cal.
Reaction score
is my foxriverfifty big ennoghf for elk 24 in bl it kicks like a mule with430gr maxiballs i have hornaday410greatplains conicals to tight i cant get them to load i see rb s just wont get it done

Welcome to the forum, gypodog99. I've never shot an elk but there are many who have using a .50 prb. I'd vote that you are well set up.

You would be better off to make a double lung shot with a patched ball than a bad shot with a maxiball because of flinching from recoil.
The mountain men killed plenty of elk, they did not have conicals.80-90 grains of powder will take down an elk.
Nit Wit

Welcome to the forum. :)

I'm not sure why you think a .54 caliber patched roundball won't kill an elk.
A lot of our members have used that to kill elk.

Yes, it is best to keep the shooting range to under 100 yards but that is true with any bullet when its being shot from a gun with iron sights.

IMO, it's the iron sights that are the real limiting factor when someone is talking about accuracy and accuracy is the name of the game with all hunting.

As for the patched .530 diameter roundball, it's 223 grain weight can't be a problem. It outweighs a lot of the modern projectiles and its .530 diameter pokes a big hole just going in and they usually expand to something even bigger as they plow thru the critters vitals.

i just seen were someone was saying that 50 rb wont get it don iirether shoot somthng that dont hurt so much i was loading 100gr goex&maxi balls and it kicks to hard

You could get a .54. It is plenty of gun to take an elk with a patched round ball. Don't underestimate the power of a patched round ball. A .54 cal. round ball with 80 grains of 3f behind it will do the job on an elk and not have too heavy of a recoil.

thanks iwent out and bought power belts& maxi ballsin 365grs and 430grs & roundballs but never realy got it sighted in good

somebody was saying that you need councals to drop a elk but like you said all fur trappers was rbs in ther day

You are right on about that. What ever you use you need to shoot it enough at different ranges to know just where to hold. Geo. T.

better to hit dead center with prb than wound with a bullet. sight in with prb and load u will hunt with. I lived 9 yrs in co. 50s where the most used and they only allowed prb back then.

Back