• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trouble with GPR sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ive got a Lyman GPR, and wanted to install the primitive sight. So I got the adjustable sight off, and ofcoarse the primitive sight slides right thru the slot. The diffrence in the size is only 7000's of an inch, and Lyman says I will have to "pin" the sight on the barrel.
So the question is how do I do that, and will it be on tight enough so when I fall and bang the gun against a tree my sight wont slip?

Lyman is dead wrong. I wouldn't even think of "pinning" it on the barrel. If a call to them won't get you the right sight, check out the rear sights at TOW. They're great and cheap, but it's still an extra step you shouldn't have to take.

BTW- Have you measured and compared the bases of both the adjustable and primitive. That should be the foundation of your call to them.

Yep, I went down the street to a machinist, and he took his digital calipers to both. Primitive sight at the base is 343, adjustable at the base is 350.
They told me with that little of a deviation there is nothing they can do.

Ha! I love the GPR, but Lyman is smoking wackytabacky if they think that kind of variation isn't something they can control. It would put all the sight manufacturers right out of business.

I suspect Lyman got a whole bunch of undersized sights and just doesn't want to eat them. I'm yet to see one of their primitives that didn't slide right through the dovetail on the barrel.

Go to TOW and get the style you like best. I doubt you'll spend $10 if it's a primitive version.

clean the base of the sight and put a drop of solder on it , that should tighten it up a good bit.only .007 difference and that ain't much, about the thickness of a frog hair.

TTC

froggy said:
Lyman says I will have to "pin" the sight on the barrel.

Are you sure they didn't say peen ?

You can Peen the edges of the barrel dovetail down a bit so it grabs the undersize sight.

BrownBear said:
I'm yet to see one of their primitives that didn't slide right through the dovetail on the barrel.

Me too!

I have four GPR barrels and the fixed sights slip right through them all.

HD

When I bought my first GPR about 27 years ago, I had the same problem, so I just kept the adjustable sight in. When I built my GPR flint kit last year the problem was still there. This time I stuck the sight upside down in a vise and peened the bottom edge of the sight. It fits nice and tight in the barrel's dove tail slot, like Dawg said. I like this primitive sight and the little work I did was well worth it :thumbsup: .

Twotoes and Froggy, you can also take a center punch and stipple the dovetail a few times and raise the base enough to grab the sight base tightly.

To peen your dovetail, take a hammer and tap one edge lightly just so it is bent down a bit. Try the sight in the slot repeatedly so as not to overdo it.It should be a snug fit. Put the sight in from the same side each time; I tap my sights out from left to right and install from right to left, facing the muzzle end. If one peened edge won't hold the sight tight enough, then do the other edge.

I am pretty new and ignorant to this all. Do I peen the sight, or the grove on the barrel?

Peen the bottom of the sight. I put it in a vise upside down and peened along the edge that fits into the dove tail cut of the barrel. I used a hammer and a punch. Peen then try. It might take several times before getting it snug. But peen the sight, not the barrel. If you screw up the sight you can replace it cheaply. If you screw up your barrel, well that's a different story.

You're on top of this Dave!
going to see you nextmonth at the shoot??? :wink:

Glad you got your sight figured out. Lots of help here!

Should see me, and hopefully I will see where my ball hits! Just got it dialed in and decided to change everything up.

Back