• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey calls?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also... I know they had the materials... but is there any documentation of an early use of a piece of slate mounted in a turtle shell that anyone knows of? (That's something I was either looking to make or buy for this spring.)

f533f72c.jpg

Not sure of when but my buddies dad made me this one above...notice the holes, so the sound can get out. It is one of my favorite calls!

GOOD LUCK!
Wess

Not sure why you can't see it, here it is again:

wessShellCall2.jpg

I does sound pretty sweeeeet. I just wish I had made it [wink], but I didn't.

Good luck :D

Looks like it would be PC to me! Very nice - thanks for sharing. :applause: I have a nice sounding slate on a wood pot but that turtle shell is real primitive looking. Something like that would look real nice in the haversack. Anyone know of any documented 18th c. turkey calls?

I've made one from raw slate and an antler about 7" long. Another one I've made was from a turtle shell. I drilled a hole in the top and inserted a 3-4" piece of hickory, then used a piece of chert to scratch the the piece of hickory. The shell serves as a sound box, and by raising or lowering the hickory stick, you can get different pitches from it. Bulky, but its neat. I prefer the slat and antler though.

Pare-

1st one I have ever seen in a freshwater clam shell, very cool. You should send a pic to the NWTF. Add a purple heart striker & a carbon striker & you will have a call that will sound like 3 different birds. A tactic that is killer on call shy Toms.
Thanks for the pic

i used to raise eastern and rio grand turkeys and learned to imitate their calls by mouth,it amazing what you an learn from a turkey by just listnin :: :crackup: :crackup:

Hey brushbuster
I used to hunt the Merrett Ranch just east of Utopia, west of Tarpley & just north of the Seco Valley Ranch. Used to lease from Bill Coffee. He & his wife Edna used to live there. Had a lot of Turkey there. Always got exited come spring turkey season. Double calling w/ a slate & mouth call was always a killer on those birds.

Neat looking turkey call, KyFlintlock! I'm a big fan of slate calls, so that one interests me. Have you had a chance to "fool" any toms with it yet?

THanks. I really do love that call, soft and sweet. I have called up 3 birds with it in the last few years and my buddy has also called up 3 as well. Not all of them went home with me though!! :curse: :eek:

Headed to Nashville to the NWTF convention on Friday. GOBBBBBBBBLE!!!!!!
:RO:

hold the box upside down and shake it from side to side.
or you can hold it backwards and shake it side to side in the same manner Main thing is to hold it by the bottom in both ways

Woody

Latest posts

Back