• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two-fer ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeyref

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Since it came up in the Power and the .54 Hawken thread...I've been pondering this one since I had to pass up on a shot in Archery season because the deer never separated enough to present a clean shot. My bow would most likely have been up to the task but, IMHO, that's way too risky of a shot for a bow even at 15 yards.....

So.... the question is - If you have the tags for them and you have two deer lined up broadside inside of 35 yards and you have a patched RB .54 in front of 90gr of powder would you intentionally try for the two-fer?

Let's have some good discussion here and refrain from P'n on each others moccasins....

Myself....NEVER. They aren't mine until the tag is attached to the deer. I always hope that I don't have a wounding shot, but it has happened. All I need is to have two wounded deer to track. Besides, in Ohio, you are legally not supposed to take your second deer until the first on is tagged. Check your state laws. One other thing, at least for me. I really enjoy hunting. I would hate to miss the chance to keep going out in the field.

I wouldn't...if they had perfect broadside soft tissue heart / lung alignment and I was using my .58 or .62cal I'd kill them together, but not with anything smaller.

Dave,
Same deal in PA... can't even attempt to take another until you've dealt with the first one. Just wanted to put it out there for discussion after seeing the other thread and having passed on a shot recently because of it...

Nope never. If it went wrong how could you justify it to the guy in the mirror.

I made that deer suffer because I was trying a trick shot?

Nope

Have to agree with everyone else that's posted so far. Would not shoot since one has no way of knowing where that projectile is going to go after it enters the first animal or what power might be remaining when and if it comes out. Too much reliance on pure luck vs a skillful shot.

Nope never. If it went wrong how could you justify it to the guy in the mirror.

I made that deer suffer because I was trying a trick shot?

Nope

X2!

Nope, not with my muzzleloaders or centerfire rifles...You don't know that the bullet is going straight through, nor the energy level left...

Two years ago in Virginia had a friend that shot a buck at 30 yards. Bullet traveled thru both rib cages and ended up hitting another deer about 65 yards away ( at a 30 degree angle ) right in the head. Lucky for him you are allowed two deer a day. He walked up to his buck and happened to see the white belly of another deer laying on the ground. Walked over and the deer was warm. Private property and no one else shooting. Strange things happen. Me, I would never take a shot that might hit another deer no matter how big the rack. Left many go just for that reason. Always another day.

Interesting that the same sentiment didn't arise in the other thread....

Just to stir the pot a bit, is it because we respect the deer more than the hogs or is it that just happened vs trying to kill two with one shot?

Just to stir the pot a bit, is it because we respect the deer more than the hogs or is it that just happened vs trying to kill two with one shot?

I have the same respect for any animal that I hunt. :thumbsup:

Hockeyref said:
Interesting that the same sentiment didn't arise in the other thread....

I went back and read the 54 power post,
The post plainly speaks of an accidental 2 for one shot.
"The PRB has passed through both lungs and went into the spine of another/smaller hog that she couldn't even see."

I think the :thumbsup: were for the luck of the accidental double kill. IMO, No one made comment on her decision to shoot two pigs with one shot because that decision plainly was not made.

Usually just for the education, when I butcher the deer, I like to study the wound channel. It is amazing what a bullet(even CF's) can do. Some will pass through in a straight line. Some will take as much as a 90º turn.Just depends on what bone the bullet can be deflected by. It is a real manure shoot, what can happen when the ball or bullet leaves the animal.

I have done that successfully on hogs here in Texas with modern rifles but I have had very few round balls exit deer. And our deer are small weighing 100 pounds or less. I would NEVER try this with a MLR!

Geo. T.

Latest posts

Back