• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Under hammer again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Taylor

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Started a new under hammer from some parts that Fred sent my way. I was wondering if I could bend a piece of 1.250" cold rolled with a HF 12 ton press and I figured a way to do it without going to the big 50 ton jack and building a new press. I will need to get some more tooling if I build more of these frames.
UHactionHAtype.jpg

looks like a heck of a good start! if you can make them you will be filling a large void left by the demise of deer creek and blue grouse. the underhammer world will beat a path to your door. i could always use another.... :hmm:

BS, I checked it today and it looks like 15 degrees. I have been working full time on barrels this week and havn't had a chance to get any more done on it. I set the wood into the metal about 1/8" just like the old H&A. Have not decided how I am going to hold the barrel in, the three set screws seem to easy. I do have the taper pin reamer but no taper pins to go with it.
Got the hammer back from the engraver for the other one I'm working on. Looks like a dogs head.

Happy to see ya got some time to use those parts, Im down to 4 DC frames when they are gone we may have to go with yours , did the drawing on the stock work out? Fred :hatsoff:

I installed the stock like the one on my old rifle, inleted the back of the action to help keep the stock from splitting. There is a lot of wood to be shaved off so it will look a little closer to the frame. The stock bolt you sent was a little short so I made one out aof a carrage bolt just to see what it would look like. I will make a new bolt when I get time. The barrel is a 50 cal. that someone put on a Martini action and sold as a 50-70. A customer brought it in and said it would not shoot. It only to a little bit to look down the bore and see it was a round ball twist. I put a new barrel on the Martini and he gave me the old one. Looks like one from gun parts and it has great rifling so it should work.

bruce and blue grouse are indeed still around. what i should have said was that he does not have any more kits for underhammers.

Ya but I do , the last 3 made. pt me if ya need more info Fred :hatsoff:

Bruce at Blue Grouse must have emptied his supply that was being drop shipped from a warehouse in the midwest. He treated me worse than an egg sucking dog in my dealings with him. I like my underhammer and I am glad I don't have to depend on Bruce to keep it shooting.

Good luck in your endeavor. I hope you put Blue Grouse in the crapper! He is not a man of his word. He claims to put customer satisfaction first, but you wouldn't know it from my experience with him a year ago!

Way to go John. Keep it up and I'll just have to make the trip down to pick me up an action. Will you set them up to fit the DC barrels?

:thumbsup:

I need more hours in a day to get all this stuf done. Would like to finish this rifle and another then find some time to try them out. Just got 14 barrel blanks in and customers wanting them yesterday. One lathe went down and took 2 days to get it up and running again. Another machine needs new bearings and I haven't had a chance to get to town to get them.

Back