• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

UPS has outdone itself. I'm actually impressed by how massive of a failure this is, even Kiblers famous crates are no match! INSURE YOUR STUFF FOLKS!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a folding ladder delivered. The card board box was all tore up. Tire marks the full length on both sides. I think some idiot thought their was a gun inside. Even though the picture of the ladder was marked on the outside. Luckily the UPS store care of it. I swear if they think theirs a chance of a gun in the box. They purposely try to destroy it...!

Obviously somebody in the delivery chain was anti gun.
I was going to say the same thing. How could anyone claim that was some sort of accident? That was deliberate as the day is long. Most likely an anti-gun whack job used a forklift or could have been a kid that was hating on the world but whatever, it dang sure was no accident.

Is there a way to insure for double the actual cost and maybe print a sales receipt showing a doubled price for proof?

Something needs to be done about this type of thing.

I was going to say the same thing. How could anyone claim that was some sort of accident? That was deliberate as the day is long. Most likely an anti-gun whack job used a forklift or could have been a kid that was hating on the world but whatever, it dang sure was no accident.

Is there a way to insure for double the actual cost and maybe print a sales receipt showing a doubled price for proof?

Something needs to be done about this type of thing.
they call that insurance fraud not that I disagree with you

I just sent a long rifle I built to Montana. I built the crate myself and package it so it would not move in the box. I also sent it UPS and insured it for $3500 but if it had gotten damaged there is no way I could replace it without hours of work and searching for wood and parts. Lucky though, it got there all in one piece and my customer was pleased.

Had one a while back from the USPS with parts for an unmentionable. The box had been ripped open and then half assed taped back up. All the empty packaging for the individual parts was in the box but the actual parts were missing.

Someone please explain what I am looking at. Is that two separate Kibler-style boxes that have somehow been joined? Or extended, to ship a longrifle without pulling the pins?

I understand the frustration. The anger. I have said it in several threads here. All our package services throw packages. All our package services do, at times, walk on packages. They get handled by automated equipment and typically college age workers loading trucks, cages, baskets.

The more odd shaped a package is, the more heavy it is, the more likely some event will happen. If it's not a single enclosed package, box, or crate, but actually two. Then that increases the odds of some event happening.

And worst yet. Murphy's Law means that if something bad happened to the first package, it increases the odds of a second "event". I spent a career shipping, or around shipping. There were times I just shook my head at the massive amounts of stupidity that I saw the results of.

Those sorting centers have cameras everywhere! They should find the culprit and fire that scoundrel! I am waiting on a Fowler from Kibler and this thread nauseates me!
It seems to me, if you really want your purchases to be safe, you would have to make the journey and pick them up yourself these days. You should hear the horror stories coming out of the fed-ex warehouses in southern California.

Those sorting centers have cameras everywhere! They should find the culprit and fire that scoundrel! I am waiting on a Fowler from Kibler and this thread nauseates me!
All of shipping industry copes with this problem by accepting damage claims on a certain percentage of their volume and spreading the cost to everyone else, much like retailers tolerating shrinkage (shoplifting). Cheaper than correcting operations. All institutions enjoy immunity from accountability. Sad.

Ive seen barrels bent. I couldn't bend one if I tried. Without heat anyway.
I'm hopeful it isn't bent, we shall see. If it's just the stock that's ruined I may be able to salvage everything else and use it elsewhere. Shipping companies are such a hassle I don't know that I'll ever ship anything fragile and valuable again. I'll make a significant drive to do it my damn self.

Someone please explain what I am looking at. Is that two separate Kibler-style boxes that have somehow been joined? Or extended, to ship a longrifle without pulling the pins?
pulling the pins on a long rifle just makes it more vulnerable. the length is still there unless you are talking a half stock.
I am extremely hesitant to ship anything anymore. that said I have to figure out how to get the latest build to Ohio. maybe one last road trip?

I understand the frustration. The anger. I have said it in several threads here. All our package services throw packages. All our package services do, at times, walk on packages. They get handled by automated equipment and typically college age workers loading trucks, cages, baskets.

The more odd shaped a package is, the more heavy it is, the more likely some event will happen. If it's not a single enclosed package, box, or crate, but actually two. Then that increases the odds of some event happening.

And worst yet. Murphy's Law means that if something bad happened to the first package, it increases the odds of a second "event". I spent a career shipping, or around shipping. There were times I just shook my head at the massive amounts of stupidity that I saw the results of.
That is a standard kibler box, pins pulled, and components packed in exactly the same manner they are shipped from Jim. All screws in the lid. The only alteration is the additional plastic wrap I put around it to hold the lid on in the event that all of the screwed somehow failed.

I'm completely at a loss as to how the shear force was applied causing such a clean break.

I'm hopeful it isn't bent, we shall see. If it's just the stock that's ruined I may be able to salvage everything else and use it elsewhere. Shipping companies are such a hassle I don't know that I'll ever ship anything fragile and valuable again. I'll make a significant drive to do it my damn self.

You can't have it both ways.

I don't quite understand this statement. If you file a claim on the damaged item you don't get to keep it as now belongs to the shipping company or insurance writer.

If you waive the insurance you or the buyer keep it. Someone will then have to pay for the replacement parts and labor and it won't be the shipper.
On another note the crate looks sketchy at best. The break is too clean and square. Plywood doesn't shear straight like that. Heck even a piece of maple, oak or cherry doesn't break lie that.

I don't think it's someone who hates guns, I think it's just someone who hates their job, and just doesn't give a rats ass!

I worked for DHL for a year back in 02 after I got laid off from my regular job. Did so just until I got recalled back. While I was there I witnessed several instances where other workers, young kids mostly, would toss packages, step on them, put heavy packages onto smaller lighter ones, you name it. I wasn't one to rat people out, and being new there, I kept my mouth shut. However, with my stuff, I went out of my way to ensure the packages arrived as safe as possible. Even then it sometimes wasn't enough. We'd get containers of packages right off the plane (a 737 would deliver them every night from Chicago, and our truck would pick two containers up a day from the airport), and packages would arrive damaged, leaking, crushed, etc. The doctrine was always, deliver it anyway, and it was up to the customer to file a complaint.

Fortunately these instances were few and far between. I'd say 98% of the time there was no issues.

Usually, you had no idea what was inside the package. We'd look at the address and that was it., at least in my case, that's what I did. You'd have so many deliveries, you didn't have time to know what was inside. I had more than one package that was shaped like it may have had a firearm inside but unless it was so marked with big red labels, it could've been anything. I do remember one long and slender package I delivered that could've been a rifle. Turned out to be a parts for a model A Ford truck.

Last edited:
You can't have it both ways.

I don't quite understand this statement. If you file a claim on the damaged item you don't get to keep it as now belongs to the shipping company or insurance writer.

If you waive the insurance you or the buyer keep it. Someone will then have to pay for the replacement parts and labor and it won't be the shipper.
On another note the crate looks sketchy at best. The break is too clean and square. Plywood doesn't shear straight like that. Heck even a piece of maple, oak or cherry doesn't break lie that.
If they only give me a partial refund through insurance, I thought maybe I'd keep the other bits. This is the first time I've dealt with this so I'm learning as I go along.

Be sure to tell Jim Kibler his crates aren't up to snuff, I sure won't. They're universally approved of for good reason.

No idea how it happened, but here's the crate before it was shipped.
1000010480.jpg

Back