• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Va early MLer season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to look at the original post....2013 buck.

I do not use an over powder wad. When working on loads with that rifle I used either heavy pillow ticking or duck cloth. Combined with mink oil, the duck cloth patches could have been shot again(literally). The pillow ticking were too used up to shoot again, but made reloading easier, so are carried in my loading block and pouch.

I've since backed the .62 load down to 100gr as it seems to shoot as well as 120gr, and I can use the same pre-measured charges in my .58. With 120gr, you know that you've fired the rifle. At 7-1/2#, its light, but has a 2"+ wide buttplate and not much drop in the stock. At 140gr the recoil steps up to another level, so I've only fired a few shots with that load.

Back