• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Value of CVA Pisto Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a CVA KA709 Kentucky Pistol Kit .45 cal. that is complete and in like new condition. I would like an idea of its value. It is not for sale at the moment. Problem for me is I am not a wood worker and in that regard I keep hearing about removing wood to get the right shape and appearance, etc. Having no idea what that means and due to my work schedule, I am inclined to consider sale, trading or farming out build, but not in a rush. Kit is complete, all nuts and bolts, brass hardware and pristine barrel. Ballpark value would be fine. W."ZEE"

A brand new pistol kit of this type from Traditions (really really close to your kit) sells for $279.95 plus shipping and maybe sales tax as well so Gtrubicon's price is pretty well spot-on. You say you don't have the skills to make it authentic. Perhaps so, but you can pretty well put it together as you got it with a minimum of metal finishing and just sanding and staining/finishing the wood. Won't be perfect or completely accurate but it'll work just fine and you'll have the fun and satisfaction of doing it yourself. So you have choices. Want to sell it? That $250.00 price is a good starting point.

I have a CVA KA709 Kentucky Pistol Kit .45 cal. that is complete and in like new condition. I would like an idea of its value. It is not for sale at the moment. Problem for me is I am not a wood worker and in that regard I keep hearing about removing wood to get the right shape and appearance, etc. Having no idea what that means and due to my work schedule, I am inclined to consider sale, trading or farming out build, but not in a rush. Kit is complete, all nuts and bolts, brass hardware and pristine barrel. Ballpark value would be fine. W."ZEE"
Don't have the skills and/or knowledge to build it you say? No time like now to start and no better place to begin acquiring those skills, than with a CVA kit.

Thousands, including myself, started down the muzzleloader and building road right there with a CVA kit, or two. I built at least four of them, including my first one, a Kentucky Pistol kit my mother gave me for my 16th birthday.

My first muzzleloader was a Kentucky pistol kit. Then a Kentucky rifle. Last one I did was maybe 15-20 years ago, a 32 Crockett. They were my introduction to muzzleloading. Having worked on modern guns nearly all my life. I was fascinated with the history of black powder "firearms" mechanisms.
Now, my wood working was not one of my favorite things. But they came out decent enough. Had a person say my Kentucky rifle looked like it was put together by a 10 year old kid. But that was an accurate shooting rifle that I was really surprised. I even said, I don't know how anyone could miss what they were shooting back in the old days.
And yes, I got bit by the bug.
I'm 71 now and still at it.

Back