• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

vent hole location?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck-ia

45 Cal.
Reaction score
where exactley do you drill your hole for the vent? I like to stay ahead of the breech plug, in other words, after I drill and tap the hole for the liner, I don't interupt the breech plug threads. And the bottom of the breech plug will totally seal the barrel. Some recommend actually drilling partially through the breech plug face while drilling the vent hole. To me drilling this way, you could actually have a weak spot, or a place where the breech plug could leak through the threads. I don't know, maybe if you drill partially through the breech plug, it may not foul so much either? Any oppinions? flinch

it would appear that you've managed to catch your self between the proverbial rock and the four letter hard place. i make several assumptions:
1) that you have already inlet the lock into the stock, so you're stuck with the location of the lock as it relates to the barrel.
2) that you've already inletted the breechplug tang into the stock, so you're pretty much stuck with the location of the barrel as it relates to the stock.
if either (or both) of these assumptions are not true, then you have no problem: simply move the lock foreward or the barrel back, so that the center of the pan is about 1/8 inch in front of the front face of the breechplug. get a good touch hole liner (i like white lightnin') and install it so that the touch hole is centered on the pan and slightly above the level of the pan. this is the much touted 'sunset position:' the bottom of hole wants to look like the sun touching the horizon at sunset.

if, however, you're stuck with geometry that doesn't support this, do not dispair. at least one other guy (that would be me) has made the same mistake. what you should do is (with barrel and lock in the stock) mark where the touch hole should go on the barrel. figure out how much of the breech plug occludes the touch hole. in my case it was only about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch.

if you're way back into the threads of the breechplug, you're in big trouble (more on this later)

if, however, you have at least 1/2 inch of threads which engage the barrel, you're probably safe (disclaimer time- if you blow yourself to bits, i don't know a thing about it.) so, assuming that you have enough threads to work with, go ahead and drill the clearance hole for the liner with the breech plug removed. put the plug back in and mark the threads you'll need to file away. i tried to make mine as smooth as possible without removing too much material- this will minimize the possibility of a live ember getting caught up in the rough bit between the touch hole and the barrel. once you have filed the groove, put the breech plug back in the barrel and visually inspect that there is a smooth channel or groove for the powder to make good contact with the touch hole. if you're happy with it, go ahead and tap the threads to the liner and put it in. use anti- sieze goop. you should be OK.

as regards the foulding issue, yes, you will have a bit more trouble getting it super clean, but (always a "but") you should get or you should already have one of the clever little clamp- on cleaning attachments (Track of the Wolf has the best one i've seen- it's called a flush-flint, and it's on page 401 of their cataloge #16- costs about 16 dollars and is well worth it) the use of the flusher and warm water should make things go well.

Now the bad news: if you're too far back on the threads of the breechplug (i.e. you don't have at least 1/2 inch) you should give serious consideration to moving the barrel back. Much easier if you have a paralell sided barrel- if you're using a swamped barrel, you're in very even bigger big trouble. i have heard of builders using brass inserts between the breechplug and the barrel, but it's not a trick i would try.

i hope this clears thing up a bit. the two things to remember is the half inch deal, and make the groove (if you do have to cut one) as smooth as possible.

good luck

MSW

I just got an american fowler from tip curtis, and after some thought, after lining up the lock and barrel, trigger and such decided to start with the barrel, after squaring off the breech the barrel actually started to drop in the stock, I moved it back another 1/16" and went in more, this is about as far back as I want to go right now. I have not started on the lock yet, looks like there is quite a bit of room to move the lock around. I would rather be too far back with the barrel than too far forward. the last 2 rifles I put together, the hole I drilled for the liner is probably 1/16" to 1/18" away from the breech plug face. I think (this is just my oppinion) with the liner installed this way, a person may have to use a breech plug scraper, I have no problem with this, usually shoot 5 times and swab, and scrape the crud from the breech with a scraper. with the hole drilled directly on top of the breech plug I would think a lot of the fowling would blow out the vent. I do use a flush tool to clean also. Just wondering where you professionals put the liner in. By the way, Tip Curtis Frontier Shop is a pleasure to do business with, had all the parts, quality parts, shipped when he said, even called to make sure I got the kit. flinch

flinch,
I'm not completley clear on your question and situation. Are you asking where to line things up or have you already inlet the barrel and lock?

I don't know that I have ever heard of someone recommend drilling into the face of the breechplug but I have heard of many doing it because they had to.
I always try to keep the venthole ahead of the breechplug face. Then you don't have the issues you mentioned. Sometimes this means having the lock fence ahead of the back of the barrel. That depends on you and which is the most important to you.
To ad to MSW's post. Either way remove the breechplug when drilling into the barrel. If you partialy hit the breechplug face it can push your drillbit off and cause your venthole to be egg shaped or your liner will not seal good.
PD

flinch-

The reason i like to put the touch hole a bit foreward is so that you get complete clearance from the front of the breechplug face to the back of the touch hole liner. Do not forget (as i have done) that the touch hole liner is a good bit wider than the touch hole itself.

since you've not locked yourself into non- viable geometry, it sounds like you have a good handle on the situation / location of the touch hole.

good luck

MSW

A few additional thoughts. For locating the TH prior to inletting the lock, I like it 5/32" ahead of the breech plug face. This is for a 5/16" liner. This will put the rear edge of the liner right on the breech plug face. Locate the TH location first, then inlet the lock accordingly. However, if you are useing an english style lock and have a barrel with a short breech plug, be sure that this TH location does not put the fence behind the barrel breech. Unlikely but check it out. If it does, then I would inlet the lock with the fence right at the back of the barrel then locate the TH accordingly. Some may scoff at the use of measurements like 5/32" but they are just numbers. It's just as easy to measure 5/32" as it is to measure 1" so may as well do it right IMO.

Cody

More than a few makers drill into the BP, and many originals were done so. Although I strive for the BP to bore shoulder seal, with no choice, I have done more than a couple as such, never no adverse effects to date. Some modern BP's are much longer than were originals.

Threaded fasteners are funny critters, almost all the stress is taken by the first full thread, next by 2nd, then by third & etc.

Have the same problem with a TOW kit. Took it to a smith who builds these things in his sleep.He said it was no big deal to remove the appropriate amonut of material from the plug. Being the coward that I am working with metal, I will be taking it to him to drill the flash hole and correct the plug situation. Also to bend the tang to the proper angle. First kit, don't want to screw it up or burn the house down in the process of heating the tang.

Back