• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

very slow twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think so.
Either Burton or Rayl, maybe both can do a straight rifle.
I do believe it is Burton who offers any twist to straight.
Colerain and Rice may can do one.

I know somebody can.

I'll ask the next time I see him. :wink:

I see Rayl occasionally at shows, so could ask him as well.

If the round ball exiting the muzzle were to be in a steady state with no induced turning in any direction, it would immediately have forces acting upon it to create spin due to surface imperfections (sprue, mold line, out of round, dent from being hurled down the bore, loss of roundness due to thrust from behind, whatever) and inconsistent density (internal bubble or shrinkage). Those physical traits would induce movement around an axis, also inertia, and a cyclic interaction. And you got yourself a case of the wobbles.

I agree....There are many factors that can induce instability.....However, We can't discount flight time...
Instability caused in flight will have far less if any impact on accuracy compared to instability induced by the barrel which gets amplified by velocity and affects the entire flight of the projectile....

I can see the practicality of a smooth bore for shooting ball, shot or both but if one is going to have rifling added for ball shooting accuracy alone what sense does straight rifling make which is less accurate than angular rifling?

Supposedly it's more accurate than a smoothbore and still capable of shooting shot...
Kind of the "best of all worlds"

I'd love to hear from someone who actually owns a straight rifled gun. :hmm:

Personally I think a base ball with it's stitching has about as much in common with a lead ball swaged to an ellipse as it does to a bullet on it's way down range and none of them duplicate what an iron sphere, which holds it's shape, experiences in flight.
Smooth bore cannon balls apparently don't knuckle or curve because they can and often are superbly and consistently accurate.

I would think it would bugger the shot around the perimeter of the charge as far as deforming it more than a smooth bore would unless a shot cup of some kind were used.

Actually, it might produce less....Due to the increase in diameter around the inside of the barrel. You would have more surface area..

Only first hand experience can say for sure....

sense does straight rifling make which is less accurate than angular rifling?

Some of the old big-big bore English made African game rifles had straight rifling. Reason was a 4 bore or even 2 bore :shocked2: rifle had such forces that a twist rifling would/could twist the rifle out of the shooters grip, probably very painfully. These were not long range guns so pinpoint accuracy was probably not a factor. I saw one of those 2 bore rifle once and guarantee I would not want to be on either end of shooting one. :doh:

colorado clyde said:
I wonder if Bobby Hoyt could "straight "rifle a barrel?.... :hmm:

He is a proponent of gain twist. His own "elk rifle" is a .60 with gain twist.

opinion has swung, and many people now advocate much faster twists. The ”˜compromise’ twist of 1:48 seems to have become the recommended one for round ball as well as conicals. It’s too late in my career for me to find out if that idea works for me, I guess my old slow and deep barrels will have to do me. And they will.

Spence

This "compromise" along with even faster twist rates for conical and sabot shooters, represents a forward movement in time, out of the realm of traditional muzzleloading..IMO.
I prefer to move backwards in time to experience muzzleloading in it's more simplistic and elegant forms....
The simpler the weapon the better marksman and hunter one needs to be...

Some posts back someone mentioned the dimples on golf balls making them go further, and straighter.

Why then, aren't the same effects evident at our velocities and sizes?

Apologizes, if one of the other posts covered this, I thought I that I read all the posts in this topic, but it's been a long day---and it is something that I have frequently thought of--along with how to get dimples uniformly around the ball.

Gromit

Mine wasn't made for shooting golf balls but shooting golf balls with it is a lot of fun.

Come to think about it, shooting golf balls beats trying to hit them with a club any day of the week.

You don't even have to yell, "Fore" before the shot cause there isn't anyone downrange. :rotf:

Oh, about the dimples giving golf balls more range, they do this because of back-spin on the ball.

Balls shot out of a gun don't have backspin so the dimples wouldn't do anything to add range.

Latest posts

Back