• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

visiting eastern events maybe near williamsburg

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwilk

32 Cal.
Reaction score
if you were going to go east to williamsburg,what time of the year would be best and what forts or events would you include in your trip?

The smithsonian, The williamsburg pottery, Thomas Jeffersons house, Natural bridge, and of course Kitty Hawk are all within a readonably short driving distance.

Might as well see Colonial Park (Yorktown) as it's right down the road from Colonial Williamsburg. If you're also going to the Smithsonian, drop into Mt. Vernon and see the house that George built. George Washington's house is run by the DAR and they've kept it in very good condition. Bring a bag lunch as their fast food sucks (their regular restaurant fills fast). The George Washington Masonic Monument in Alexandria is free and there's plenty of free parking at the monument. There are some artifacts belonging to our founding father there on display. Carlisle House in Alexandria is open to the public and that's where Braddock lived while he planned his ill-fated jaunt into the woods. Carlisle was fed up with the haughty Braddock and glad to see him finally leave.

More Civil War oriented: Harper's Ferry, Lee's House in Arlington National Cemetery, Fredericksburg (Old town) is worth see as is Chatam (sp) Manor (across the Rapphannock and still part of the National Park System). If in Richmond, the Virginia Historical Society (all periods of Virginia History), Museum of the Confederacy and Monument Blvd are worth seeing. So is Tredegar Iron Works & Chimbarazo Medical Museum (part of Richmond National Battlefield Park). John Marshall (as in Chief Justice) house is within walking distance to the Museum of the Confederacy and parking for the Museum of the Confederacy is free (validated at the museum) from the adjacent hospital. There's no shortage of battlefields including Williamsburg, Dam No. 1, Petersburg (want to see Civil War forts?) with the Crater (Cold Mountain) & nearby Five Forks, Drewry's Bluff, Gaines Mill, Malvern Hill, Seven Pines, Savage Station, etc. The Monitor Museum is down at Norfolk and they're building a full scale replica of the cheesebox on a raft. Also in the area of Richmond are Spotsylvania Courthouse, The Wilderness, Chancellorsville.

I haven't been to Jamestown but was told by Williamsburg staff that it is worth seeing.

If you like aeroplanes, drop into the Virginia State Aviation Museum. They have a SR-71 parked outside and there's a monument to the first military aeronauts (balloonists both blue & grey) there.

West of Richmond is Appomattox Court House where Lee surrendered.

I live 9 miles from Willamsburg. Colonial Williamsburg is nice especially on a Fall afternoon,(early October). Jamestown is excellent as well. Since you are in the area, I would suggest that you also visit The Mariners Museum, and the War Memorial Museum in Newport News as well as Fort Monroe in Hampton(designed by Lt. Robert E. Lee). It was where Jefferson Davis was imprisoned after the Civil War. Also if you have a "tin tepee"or camping eqipment, Newport News city park has a beautiful caampground at a most reasonable rate.All of the above mentioned places are within an hours drive of Williamsburg.
Bearclaw

Just spent three days at Colonial Williamsburg (the night shows/talks/trials/plays are worth attending). The museum was closed though for rennovation as was the VMI museum in Lexington where the Lewis & Clark airgun is displayed. At Yorktown, I tried to ascertain the location of the tree that served as a "hide" for the black Confederate sharpshooter who was shot by California Joe. Unfortunately, no one knew.

At Yorktown, I spoke with a German volunteer who gave a brief talk about siege warfare there. Specifically, I asked about "folded bayonet" and he said the translation would be pretty clear with bayonet being bajonet in German. I also asked around at Colonial Williamsburg (a lot of their interpreters read the same books I've read) and they couldn't answer my question about the folded bayonet. The mystery remains unsolved.

Right now Williamsburg has a new program that depicts the Revolution. It runs from 2pm to 430pm and takes place on the street in front of the Capital and you'll watch as figures protraying leading men of the period discuss the unrest in New England and Lord Dunmore's response of seizing the powder. When the main players are finished, minor players (and some main ones) wander into the crowd to interact without leaving their character to discuss the troubles. For instance, Dunmore offers freedom to slaves who fight for the British. However, the offer is limited to only for slaves whose masters are in rebellion. Understandably, some slaves are disappointed. It ends with the outbreak of the war.

Part II, played the second day, follows the Revolution. You watch as the fortunes of war are at first favorable and then turn against the Patriots. When the British (Benedict Arnold and & Col. Miller) occupied Yorktown, I raised my hat to the British officers and called out, "God Bless General Cornwallis." The officer smiled and responded, "Thank you my man. He then turned to the other officer and said, "It's good to see good men here in Williamsburg." One interpreter called me a traitor. Anyhow, the show ends with General Washington arriving in town and making a speech before marching off with their famous fife & drum band leading to besiege Cornwallis.

If you have a chance to visit Colonial Williamsburg do so. Do visit the magazine as their interpreters are very knowledgeable about the period and are likely into guns like us. Oh, the Governor's Mansion had the guns on the ceiling removed. Research has determined that guns on the ceiling were a 19th Century thing and guns limited to the walls were more 18th Century. They wanted them accessible in the earlier period and were less a display of power like the 19th century.

Make Williamsburg an all day event with dinner at the King's Arm Tavern (psst - best buy for lunch in town is either Shields Tavern or Chowing (sp)). Attend a play or trial at night to learn even more about how things were done when flintlocks were the weapon of choice.

Have the buffalo steak at the Kings Arm. It really was good. Cooked medium rare was especially tasty!

Our service was a little slow at first but when I mentioned it to the tavern owner, it was immediately stepped up. The place was quite full (don't go down in early August, heat and crowds!).

The Tavern Owner and I bantered back and forth all evening. He had the nerve to call me out as a woman speaking out of place and I, of course, continued in that manner! It was a blast and we ended up with free desserts.

The heat was oppressive in early August and the re-enactors didn't talk much so I wouldn't recommend that time of year.

Latest posts

Back