• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

We have a Dick's being built near by.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pittsburghunter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
How are they? Do they cater to our sport? Concord NH is growing again I hope for the better.

I have heard good and bad about these shops. This looks like it will be a big one.

The original Dick's was a block from where I went to Jr High, and three blocks from my high school. I cash my paycheck at a bank around the next corner from that store. Used to drool and oogle for hours there. Lately, I don't even bother going in. Probably been six or seven months, and that was for sneakers. They stopped carrying pistols of any kind, no blackpowder, have few sidelocks (1), never seem to have percussion caps ("They're on order, should be in in a week" - this will go on for months), forget about flints ("No interest hereabouts in those foolish flintlocks; you should buy an in-line"), usually are out of round balls ("We'll get some in when the muzzleloading season arrives"

"Isn't that three months too late if I want to sight in or practice, or worse if I shoot year-round?"), have no traditional archery equipment, hide the gun department way back behind the clothes and exercise gear like they're ashamed to carry it. They have gone WAY down in my sporting interests in the past 25 years. Gander Mountain is MUCH better stocked and traditional friendly (at least locally).

Last time I was at Dicks I struck out for the three items I wanted (powder, primers, balls) I asked the clerk in the Gun Department if he knew where there were any sporting goods stores in the area.

Biggest gripe I have with them is that they will run a big gun sale a week before deer season and load up ignorant slobs with weapons they'll probably shoot for the first time at a deer, or movement. :curse: Same with bows, which is much worse.

Biggest gripe I have with them is that they will run a big gun sale a week before deer season and load up ignorant slobs with weapons they'll probably shoot for the first time at a deer, or movement. Same with bows, which is much worse.

find out where these guys are hunting and hunt the next county.................bob

The Galyan's down the street from me closed up recently and Dick's moved into that building. I echo what others have said about their muzzleloading supplies. Great place to buy a shirt for playing tennis I suppose.
Or if you don't want to drive the extra 100 feet to Meijer's and really really really got to have a tin of Remington #11 caps, then Dick's has those. :)
Jack

Same thing happened to my Galyan's. They had a great shooting section before the buy out. Now it isn't worth beans. They got rid of all the handguns and the BP supplies went from a wall 20ft long to maybe 6. Dick's is nothing but a Sports Authority with a different name. :m2c:

I bought a hunting stand on sale there once. But they're geared more towards city folk and the games they play.

Just :m2c:

We have a Dick's here in Asheville, NC..y'all got 'em pegged right...Hank

We had the same thing here, the Galyan's went out and Dick's "took over"---6 months and the employees still don't have a clue. I think it's highly overrated and personally I don't go there any more--- their fishing department has a manager who doesn't know a 6/0 from a 4/0 Gamakatsu EWG hook--total idiot. Buy a standard rifle and it will take you an hour or more to make it through all the formalities such as the NIC check, paying and check-out---you don't get your gun until the salesman/FFL walks you to the door, steps outside and hands you the gun with the admonition---"don't come back into the store with the gun please...." :shake: They only carry ML accessories and some in-lines (shudder)---Gander Mountain, on the other hand has some fantastic stores, as far as fishing and shooting. If you want shooting gear try any of the Cabela's stores they are quite loaded as far as shooting is concerned---the rest of the store is impressive with displays and wild animal taxidermy. :imo:

My friends and I left a few thousand dollars at the late Galyan's. Since it is "Dick's", not a single cent.

Forget Dick's, support your local BP dealer.

It's a real shame, too. When Dick hisself was there it was a hangout for hunters and fishermen. 60% fishing, 30% hunting, 10% clothing. The used gun racks alway had something I needed, and haggling trades was a hobby of itself. I shot in a pistol league with two of the counter salesmen, who knew guns inside-out. Dick lived for fishing, and he moved to Florida 25 or so years ago to fish full time.

The only thing that stayed was his name. Now it's 50% clothing, 30% golf/exercise, 10% fishing, 10% hunting (with paintball manure taking up 5% of that hunting section).

Dick's bought Galyan's - too bad, Galyan's had firearm prices that were competitive with local shops.

You can buy all the AirSoft nonsense you want at Dick's, on the other hand.

I can't recall ever buying anything gun related at my local Dick's. They do have a nice golf department though.
The Sports Authority is the same thing. Used to have a pretty extensive hunting department.:peace:

Well, I've seen some of the stuff you guys mentioned at the Dick's I go to. They don't sell pistols or revolvers, but do carry all sorts of shotguns and rifles, including BP by T/C, CVA, and Traditions. They don't sell powder, but they do sell patches, round ball, sabots, and of course rimfire and centerfire ammo. They also have a complete line of T/C packaged stuff, including flints.

Now this is the one I currently go to. There was another one closer to home that only had ammo, and no real supplies, or any guns of any kind. I guess it is more up to the manager to see what is supplied at each location.

You guys are describing our local Wal-Mart, they don't have, care, or know nothing about outdoor sports in general! :curse:

Larry

The 'local' shops are disapearing. Dick's is good when you buy good hunting gear on clearance. Any time I get in central NJ I stop at Harry's Army & Navy...Big selection, name brand and only a little higher than Cabella's on-line store. Every time I visit our friends in NJ, I stop by and get the items on my list for about the same as Cabella's when you figure in shipping.

Of course now that Cabella's has opened the store on Rt 61, it's too easy & you spend more than you expected to...

BTW, 19C728... welcome to the forum from SW of Allentown! :hatsoff: I "tickled the ivories" over there at the Reigelsville Inn a few years ago! May I suggest Dixon's Muzzleloading shop in Kempton? (not a paid advertisement- just a happy customer!) - it's even a tad closer to you than Cabela's!

dicks bought the gaylans while under construction. just built a new 2 story west of cleveland (north olmsted). won't sell handguns because they are evil - store policy. muzzleloading section works in a pinch, if your shooting a .50 inline. really was disappointed with the new store. i'll stick to cabella's even if it takes 2 hrs to get there. makes a nice drive with the family. just my humble opinion. dave :m2c:

BTW, 19C728... welcome to the forum from SW of Allentown! :hatsoff: I "tickled the ivories" over there at the Reigelsville Inn a few years ago! May I suggest Dixon's Muzzleloading shop in Kempton? (not a paid advertisement- just a happy customer!) - it's even a tad closer to you than Cabela's!
I've just picked up the 54cal that dad left me. I've seen Dixon's web page & want to visit when time permits. For now I've got dad's supplies to use. :front:

I figure it's a good way to spend more days in the woods & remember how much dad liked being there.

Latest posts

Back