• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

We have a Dick's being built near by.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in one Saturday. Its great if you want to mountain climb, buy jogging shoes, or sweats. For our sport it was less than impressive though. At least I know I don't have to go back. :nono:

My experience with Dicks mirrors Stumpkillers....still, they are the cheapest place around my home for buying clay pigeons. However, for muzzleloading supplies (esp. traditional), they are the worst.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who was sorely dissappointed that Dick's bought out Galyans.

Dicks hunting supply is equivalent to Target's fishing supply. Just plain pathetic, I don't even go in there anymore. They NEVER have what I need.

If it's like the one close to my location, great place for buying golf clubs (whatever you do with those???? Make a snake hook maybe???)or a pair of spandex shorts :: for riding your bicycle, but for hunting / shooting supplies in general , and muzzleloading in particular, find somewhere else to shop. Heck, the local wallyworld has a better selection and a LOT more knowledge behind the counter than the local Dick's. :m2c:

Stopped in "Dick's" by the Westmoreland Mall last week. Asked for a Goose call. The response I got was "We were looking for a place to put them but I don't know where they are now" Then I asked about goose decoys and got the same answer. My reply was "Goose season starts on Sept. 1st. Guess I go to Gander Mountain down the road". Got no "rise" from the employees at all with that coment[guess they don't understand, if there are no customers, no sales, no job].
Oh well... guess I'll be going my shopping at Gander Mtn, catalogs or online.

I've never been to "Dicks"...haven't even heard of them till I saw the name on this forum. That said I get the impression they are some sort of discount store or chain like Target or Wally World. The "clerks" in those places are only there to collect a paycheck...even the manager here at Wally World is a sort of pompous jackass who hates to even give one the time of day. I just stay away from those places. We do have a "Sportsman's Warehouse" in Loveland though and those guys are fantastic..they not only know thier product they also know how to use it and all that. True..like most places today they don't have a huge selection of black powder stuff but they have enough that for things like balls and conicals, cleaning solutions..they work for me. Alas, they do not stock Goex...I have to go to another town for that...but that place..lemme tell ya...a paradise...black powder, buckskinning, blades...one neat place..only bad thing about it is..I can't go there too often...I hate sleeping outside if it rains or snows. ::

I worked for Galyan for a while in Mass. they had a good selection of shotguns both field and sporting, an excellent selection of small and large bore rifles(good ones Rem Brng Tikka benelli) and if you were unfortunate enough to open or close you got to put out or take in the 56 different pistols on display,into the safe every night,out in the morning. We had a fair selection of BP rifles and pistols too.Well,to make a long story short I back once after Dicks had bought it just to see what they were doing in firearms. There were a few old friends on the rack a franchi 20 O/U alcion that fit me so well I should have bought it,some (damn few) of the beretta O/U's that galyan used to stock a white wing and a 20 grade 4 and few 12's. I was told by the clerk that when galyans remnant stock was gone just the junk that dicks peddles would remain. No handguns at all,I can remember weeks we'd sell 30 or more.We dont have enough gunshops in Mass to begin with,Galyan coming in was a bright spot but it didn't last long.

Harrys

I have a flinter,so Wally world and Dicks is the last place I go to.All they have is modern Muzzle stuff and not much of it.Just try to find real blackpowder around here.Even the gun shops rarely carry it. Dicks does carry affordable canoes and kayaks,but their plastic. Still I'm satisfied with the one I bought.As for the employees-I had it out with one over a sleeping bag that was supposed to be on sale. They stuck me in a corner thinking I'd cave.I told them in a less then polite way what they could do with it.I went to Sears and bought a better one at a better price.Dicks is the only store I know of that employees don't come up and ask "Can I help you Sir?" Even Walmart well do that once in a while. :m2c:

I'm just wondering how long they'll survive. Up to now, they are the worst "sporting" shop around here. Even Wally-World and K-Tort are better!

Once I stopped in Dick's and I asked the gun counter person if I could handle a rifle. After I shouldered the gun, I asked him if he could remove the trigger lock so I could get a feel of the trigger pull. I reasurred him that I would not dry fire it. He stated that it was store policy not to remove trigger locks. Why would anyone purchase a gun without getting a feel for the action? He just gave me the "deer in the headlights stare". That was the last time I went into a Dick's (fast food) sporting goods store.

Latest posts

Back