• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

well i broke down and did it didnt want a hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmdye

32 Cal.
Reaction score
but couldnt pass up a left hand cabelas hawken for 200 bucks new in the box.
so here is my babies, all with in a month.
tradtions kentuky rifle
tradtions trapper pistol
cabelas left hand hawken

bp10wt.jpg

bp3ht.jpg

Very nice collection you have there! There's no looking back now. Are you wrong handed? Just kiddin'. What do you want to get next?

yep, im afraid im wrong handed. its sad. im also left eye domant so thats is good could be worse at least my domant eye is the same side.
As for what i would like next. i would like a brown bess. but im afraid any flint gun i will not be able to shoot. i havent shoot the kentucky yet, i was afraid of it making me flinch so i really want to stick with the hobby so when i was at work the other day one of my coworkes told me of a mom and pop shop that had this hawken just setting there collecting dust. so i went out at lunch today and for 212 bucks out the door picked up the hawken and a musket nipple for it since i picked up around 1k musket caps for 7 bucks the other day at walmart. but im afraid it wont run the musket nipple doesnt strike it right. actually wont even go down on top of it.

Ronald

Well, you know what they say - only left-handed people are in their right mind! ::

Nice collection, but how does the wife feel about sharing the bed with your guns?

Your story sounds familiar though, about a month ago I saw a GPR at Wal-mart for $200 plus tax, and had the hardest time just walking away. Finally I was able to walk away, but only because I shelled out the cash and took the GPR with me.

yep, im afraid im wrong handed. its sad. im also left eye domant so thats is good could be worse at least my domant eye is the same side.

Seems to me that shooters with crossover eye dominance would have an advantage. Their strong arm is supporting the weight of the gun.

As for what i would like next. i would like a brown bess. but im afraid any flint gun i will not be able to shoot.

Don't be afraid of shooting a flinter... shoot the cappers you have, a lot, get to know them well, and then see if you can hook up with somebody who has a flintlock and will let you shoot theirs. I'm not going to lie to you... it's difficult at first, but with practice, you'll grow to love it. I started out with a capper just like you, and shot it a lot. Got a flintlock and had trouble shooting it, so I didn't... for a good while. Then, when the bug struck again, and I decided that by golly I was gonna get over this flintlock thing and learn how to shoot it, well, now, let's just say I don't even have any desire to take the cap gun down off the wall any more.

With time, practice, and perseverance, you too can shoot a flintlock. :redthumb:

im lucky no WIFE! so i will only have my slef to complain about when i notcie gun oil on the sheet. im more worried about the AR's and the M1 and the Fals in the safe learning to be single shot.
this hobby is addictive. i had almost gave up shooting. buti thought i would give this a try. i havent had this much fun in a long time.
Ronald

I agree, I've been shooting BP for a while and everytime I walk into a gun shop I found myself drawn to the MLs, especially the flintlocks.

The GPR I bought was right after I ordered a .58 cal, and I really had no intention of buying another .50 cal., :hmm: but I do like the looks of that Traditions you got there. That's a .50, I'd bet.

Well rmdye: Just so you know about the good life, I'll raise my voice a few octives and say:

WHAT!! YOU WENT OUT AND BOUGHT ANOTHER GUN!!
I TOLD YOU NOT TO HANG AROUND WITH THAT CROWD ON THAT FORUM!! NOTHING BUT TROUBLE. THOSE PEOPLE NEVER THINK ABOUT ANYTHING EXCEPT GETTING ANOTHER GUN!! AND SHOOTING!! NOTHING BUT WASTE!!....
ANOTHER GUN, HE SAYS. ANOTHER GUN!!!

SQUANDERING ALL OF THE HARD EARNED MONEY, AND FOR WHAT??

Just kidding! A lot of the "real bosses" are very understanding. I know.

Ah, she's gone. Now as I was saying.....YES DEAR. I"ll be there in just a second.

yes......very nice.....very nice....very nice.
a Bess will fit in just right....good choice.
wise descision...you wont be sorry for any of the purchases..

*** WV SCROUNGER ***

Hello Flash: Hay folks I have one question about Wally World and all these bargains ya'll are finding. In my neck of the desert the only thing they have is gunoil and hoppes, haven't seen any BP stuff in one for 10 years. Do ya think I could order one of them bargains store to store. Guess not? Glad some of you can get started with such good bargains. It a great sport.
Fox :yakyak:

Told my wife I wanted to buy another gun(the .32) and she said "Well, go ahead!" To which I replied "Who are you and what did you do with my wife?"

I have to say that it looks better than most "Hawken" type production rifles. I like the trigger guard better. I am one of those weird ambidexterous critters, but I shoot right handed. I never know what hand to use a new tool with so I experiment at first. I shot a bow wrong for years as a kid.

rmdye,
Very Nice!!!!!!looks as though you got the
b/p bug for sure :RO:
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :)

rmdye, don't fret I'm a lefty also. Most righty's are somewhat left handed also and don't relize it. Rightys hold a baseball bat in the same righthand over lefthand stance as a lefty would hold a rifle.

Latest posts

Back