• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do I need to know about a 1858 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both models are great revolvers. You will NEED one of each model and calibers. Go and watch the Italian spaghetti westerns by Sergio Leone. You know the ones with Clint Eastwood in them.

I've got both Remington and Colt replicas, Pietta and Uberti, they're all good but different in some ways. One thing to watch for is on Remington replicas you have to keep the cylinder pin well greased. Even with that, the cylinder will get sticky after firing a couple of cylinders. Not that big of a deal, you just have to pull the pin, wipe it off and re-grease. My Remington replica shoots the tightest group of all my revolvers, that may be just coincidence though.
I shot remingtons until I got tired of loading them. brought them to the job and shot them after work. used crisco over the chambers and never had it seize up

Keep the cylinder pin greased with a non- petroleum product- some guys swear by PAM baking spray… I keep forgetting to put my can in my range bag but I’ll bet it works great.
Only issue I’ve had is it’s kinda finicky about which capper fits best. The in-line ones don’t seem to work but the Polish capper works great, although it’s pretty spendy.
I have an older Pietta and a new one- both are good shooters although I prefer Ubertis. Main reason is that I completely strip them right out of the box, tune, deburr and polish internals before even cycling them.
Like Grenadier says to do.

Last edited:
If it's a Pietta it's junk.
Why do you say that? I have three 58 Remingtons, two Piettas in 44 and one Uberti in 36 and to me all perform and handle the same. All are very accurate, well built and great looking.
The best lube to use on the cylinder pin to keep the cylinder from binding is Pam cooking spray. I can shoot easily 50 rounds with no binding using Pam. Yesterday I forgot to take the can to the range and after shooting 3 cylinders the Uberti cylinder locked up pretty bad.

any new revolver I get I soak it in a vat of diesel for a week take it all apart polish every piece then send it out to get micro particle inspected put it together then and only then I start using it. ahah not really. I just take it out of the box wipe it down and start wailing away

Last edited:
Back