• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you see as the future for Traditional Muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear members. I am a fairly new comer, not so long ago. you people are like family, love your little battles, and dabates. if they are so thin skined we don't need them any. please don't change a thing. this is a wonderful forum. THANK YOU ALL. :bow:

Well, I will turn 20 this year and I am, totally hooked to traditional muzzleloading, I also received great and fast help from a lot of kind members here - I dont think that this place here is unfriendly to newcomers in any way. :hatsoff:
As I came to this place I had little knowledge about ML, but that changed fast due the help of great members here. I think this is the perfect place to go for muzzleloading newcomers.

I started muzzleloading on my own, I was a true centerfire rifle shooter till I got a traditions muzzleloader pistol kit in .45 as a present. It was ten times more fun than any of my centerfires, and the rest is history..

I shoot at a traditional muzzle loading club and I am the youngest active member of them all, sometimes its a bit frustrating to be honest to see members at starting age of 50 years up to 80+.
Future is almost non-existent in our club regarding muzzleloading, the only people doing shooting I know which are as young as me only shoot air guns and are kind of afraid of real guns - or they are just not interested at all because the muzzleloading rifles dont shoot hole-in-hole like their air guns do at 10 yards...... :shake:

Well thats the general situation here in Austria, most people doing shooting are at least 50 years old and shooting WILL certainly die in a few decades.
But till that happens I will have a blast with my beloved BP-guns.

Greetings from Austria,
Moloch

When I think about the future of traditional muzzleloading, I can't help but think about how much has changed since I started 30 years ago.

A friend introduced me to cap and ball colts in college in rural New Mexico and I had to have one. Went to the black powder/mountainman store in Albuquerque and got me an 1861 Navy Colt. Later, bourht a TC Renegade kit at the hardware store. In those days, you could buy BP and supplies at most hardware stores that sold shooting supplies.

I never got into hunting, it holds no interest for me, I do some plinking at the range and some light reenacting. Now I live in Houston, which has far fewer resources for traditional ML than the small NM town I lived in 30 years ago. Most of us get supplies, including guns, cleaning supplies, and even powder over the internet. We know what we want and can find what we need. New folks can't always do that, at least without some guidance, and I am not optimistic about growth in our sport.

TR Wrote:
"Before I leave the range I always ask if anybody wants to shoot a flinter and some inliner or shotgunner or 22er always does. They always
compliment my guns and walk away saying something
like "cool." That makes me feel good.
TR "

God Bless. I do the same, and of course do demonstations at public events like reenactments. Another thing I have done is print up cards to hand to people that show a bit of interest. On one side is my name and e-mail if they have any questions(I don't give out the phone #), on the other is a list of websites that will provide more information. to date (about six months) nobody has e-mailed me.

I am disturbed by the fact that, to my knowledge, in Houston, Texas, there are no muzzleloading shops, clubs, or monthly shooting organizations (other than a few reenacting groups), and just one place to buy BP in all Southeast Texas. This does not bode well for us.

Sorry if I ran long.

Thanks kindly for the Sam Houston club reference. I found them on the same list you probably found them on a couple years back. You might be making my point on the future of muzzleloading. I wrote to them and a kind lady called me up and said they disbanded a few years ago, due to the age of the members and declining membership.

Thanks for the reference just the same, I appreciate the time you took to let me know.

TxRambler

Back