• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Finish on a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKeshen

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got one in .50 from Cabela's. They had them on sale and I could not resist the maple stock.

Anyway, the gun has a really nice shiny finish on it except for an small area near the tang which is really dull.

I tried putting a little Formby's Tung Oil on it but it does not seem compatible and will not dry properly.

I am certainly no expert on finishes. Any ideas on what type of finish Pedersoli uses, and what I might use to touch this up?

Thanks.

Aboslutely nothing wrong with modern stains and polyeurethane.

I am new to building muzzleloader, but have built plenty of furniture, traditional sailboats and repairs, and have repaired a refinished several old guns.

If going modern stains, find a similar type of maple to try out the stain color. You can stain the channel, butt, or inlets as a test spot.

Stain will look a touch different on less sanded wood.

I also use pre-stain conditioner to even out the spots.

I know little of pedersoli guns. But, certain methods are preferred to bring out the curliness of the wood, this gun may not be that curly at all. I might not be surprised at all if your gun was not maple either. These are made in Europe If I am not mistaken. If you ask pedersoli themselves, make sure you verify the wood too.

Also, if your not experienced in wood finishing, consider buying a wood furniture kit, put it together and give your finishing method a good trial run.

I would not use modern solvent based stains on the wood,your finish will end up looking like mud,if you must stain it use alcohol based stains.Also you could just leave it like it is,or if you must take just the finish off and then use tung oil..

Thanks for the info, but I am just trying to touch up the finish in a very small area that is dull to make it match the rest of the gun which has a very shiny finish.

I just want to dab a little finish in that area so it looks consistent with the rest of the gun.

Back