• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What historical rifle would you most like to shoot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t know if this counts…
I’ve been applying for moose permits in VT since the early 90’s and I’ve yet to be drawn, but if I do I plan to hunt with my great grandfathers .30 Newton rifle which he purchased a bit over 100 years ago and used to kill a moose in Quebec some time after that.

Hmmmm... I looked at the H&H website briefly... but that is much too dangerous for me. I have just enough money invested that I could buy one of those things and end up poor as a church mouse. I guess I would like to fire one of the big African express rifles... just once would be enough.

Hmmmm... I looked at the H&H website briefly... but that is much too dangerous for me. I have just enough money invested that I could buy one of those things and end up poor as a church mouse. I guess I would like to fire one of the big African express rifles... just once would be enough.
I love doubles and fine English and German bolt actions. I sold off all my fancy guns when remodeling my house and, like you, I can’t accommodate a westley richards double or a rigby Mauser and keep up the vices of living indoors and eating.

I don’t know if this counts…
I’ve been applying for moose permits in VT since the early 90’s and I’ve yet to be drawn, but if I do I plan to hunt with my great grandfathers .30 Newton rifle which he purchased a bit over 100 years ago and used to kill a moose in Quebec some time after that.
That’s cool, family history, an interesting rifle, and a great hunt all together.

Bill Hickok's 1851 Colt Navy, being born a hundred years later in 1951 I'm partial to them.
Be interesting to see if those old lawmen ( and criminals like billy the kid, Joaquin murieta, etc) guns were particularly slick or just ordinary. I’d guess if it’s your hide on the line you might go the expense of having your pistol smoothed up a bit.

Already did this back in the late 1980's , but would like to shoot Kit Ravenshear's seven barreled volley gun , just once more.

They’re out there. I had one years ago, hex mold and scraper it was a bit fiddly to load for. It shot well but only with a greased felt wad and heavy charge . Today I’d buy a Gibbs or volunteer.
I have a 45/70 set up like those already. The Whitworth Would be part of my military selection.

Besides Im letting things go, cant take it with you. I have all Im ever gonna get. Free ones dont count.

I understand "Betsy" wasn't even there.
The way I understand it, Davy Crockett was concerned that percussion caps would not be available in Texas, so he took a flintlock.
I googled the topic, and got lots of conflicting info.
It also looks like he had several "Betsy's".
More research is warranted.

This was from True West magazine:

Three important rifles are attributed to Davy (he preferred to be called David) Crockett’s career.

The first was a .48-caliber flintlock, owned by Joe Swann of Knoxville, Tennessee, and on exhibit at the East Tennessee History Center in Knoxville.

To honor his service in the Tennessee State Assembly, Crockett’s Lawrence County constituents presented him with a .40-caliber flintlock crafted by James Graham circa 1822. Crockett affectionately named this rifle “Old Betsy,” either after his wife or sister. He gave it to his son, John Wesley, when he headed for Texas in 1835. Today, it resides in the Alamo Museum collection in San Antonio.

The Whig Society of Philadelphia presented him with the third rifle, “Pretty Betsy.” It is believed to be a percussion cap rifle. The owner, a Houston attorney who descends from the Crockett family, won’t let anybody see it nor does he answer questions regarding the weapon.

None of these rifles played a role in the 1836 Alamo battle. Crockett earned acclaim after dying while defending the fort during a 13-day siege by the Mexican army.

Back