• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is Ballistol made of ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a link to the MSDS which wil give you all you need. http://www.baileysonline.com/msds_sheets/PDFs/ballistol.PDF

basically it is
Ballistol contains medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil from vegetal seeds. The mineral oil is unchlorinated and conforms to the specifications of US Pharmacopeia XX.

Last edited by a moderator:
You forgot to mention the old smelly sock that is needed to give its "odoriferous essence".

It requires three minimum per hundred gallons. :)

Zonie said:
You forgot to mention the old smelly sock that is needed to give its "odoriferous essence".

Zonie,
My wife wpould certainly agree with you about the essence of Ballistol. I catch the dickens when I use it in the house :redface:

I just read the tacked thread "Why we don't season our barrels" and see that you are exactly right.

The smell of Ballistol, while powerfully distinct, goes away, abruptly, in almost exactly one hour. I do not recommend try to replicate this with socks. Kind of reminds me of Samuel Johnson being accused of being drunk by an unattractive old spinster. To which he replied, "Yes Madame, but tomorrow I will be sober."

The grammar in the Wiki article is poorly chosen. But, I think that it is intended to mean that Ballistol claims no carcinogens in its product. Other (un-named products) of a similar nature may contain petroleum based products which may harm the "seasoning" of barrels. It concludes with a skeptic comment about seasoning: "(only if one believes the myth of seasoned bores of black powder guns)"

What I do like about Ballistol is that it works well on the metal parts my guns and if anything, enhances the old oil finishes. For years now, I have been wiping down the bores of my gun with Ballistol on a cotton patch. In that time, I have had no problems with rust. I also store the guns muzzle up, and simply take them out at the range, load, and shoot. No cleaning out "the oil," no clearing the flash channel with a couple of caps (at .05 a piece), and no misfires or hang fires either. It's one, of many, systems. And, it works great for me.

garandman said:
I just read the tacked thread "Why we don't season our barrels" and see that you are exactly right.
Sorry and I've said it before but that post should be taken with a BIG grain of salt...the point is that there are some glaring errors there - don't believe me read up on the metallurgy of cast iron, wrought iron, and steel...NONE of these are porous as would normally be described - the surface porosity of cast iron (and there are scads of different types) is due mainly to the casting method and the air bubbles formed - it's more complicated than that, but one needs to read the actual science to understand the whys and where fors.
But no matter what, seasoning, whether it be on iron or steel (and yes steel can be seasoned - that comment is based on actual usage of both cast iron and pressed steel frying pans) is a essentially a surface treatment i.e. mainly a baked on polymerized oil which creates a type of carbonized varnish.

While just blog posts the following do touch on the science (albeit not perfect) behind seasoning http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/02/16/heavy-metal-the-science-of-cast-iron-cooking/
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

but for more info re: the actual science of metallurgy and seasoning you will have to dig deeper....

bottomline though is any iron based metal - steel, cast, or wrought can be seasoned when done properly - whether it is worth while in a gun barrel is another question......

Last edited by a moderator:
Zonie said:

That's how I get extra cash. They (Ballistol Company), and my dog loves them! :haha:

I was almost arrested once for cruelty to animals.

Gotta agree with ya...ALL metals are porous to an extent and can be seasoned, as you stated, leading to easier cleaning and less fouling. (not those pesky little "fowlings" though!)

Back