• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Musket and what Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have made BP before, but I used sugar instead of sulphur, and it was a little risky. I will just get a caplock then. Hopefully it will still be fun.

Any thoughts on the armi sport smoothbore kentucky musket in 45 cal?

I am not familiar with this particular gun. However, I have seen other Armi Sport guns. I would not waste my money on the products. I think the barrels are accurate,(rifled) but the rest of the gun I examined left much to be desired.

With smoothbores, you are looking at balance and " pointability" of a gun, so that you can shoot both shot and RB in them. If the gun is too heavy, or too light, or doesn't balance well between your hands, its doubtful that you will be able to mount it to your shoulder quickly, and consistently each time, so that you can hit what you are pointing at. Muskets use a bayonet lug as the " front sight" that looks as wide as a house, on the end of that barrel, when looking at it from the other end! Without a rear sight, your cheek mounted on the stock's comb IS your rear sight. The gun has to fit you well if you are going to hit anything shooting round balls, instead of shot. I don't believe this " Musket " is a replica of any actual firearm built as a percussion smoothbore in the 19th century, however, and you might want to consider something else for that reason.

The ArmiSport 1842 Springfield musket is a solid and well made gun that is also historically correct. It is a true musket and has no rear sight, and that may affect your decision.

Pedersoli offers a "conversion" of a flintlock musket, also in .69 caliber. The price is much higher though and it also lacks a rear sight.

It's no great trick to add rear sights to guns such as these and in fact it was done back in the day.

I don't know if you are interested, but Pedersoli also makes double barreled percussion shotguns in 10, 12 and 20 gauge. They are fairly reasonable in price and money can be saved by buying them as kits, perhaps a consideration when VAT is added in.

There were some Brown Bess muskets that were converted over to percussion caps in the first half of the 19th century, so you might look into that. What I would do first though is check in with fellow Brits and see what they're using. Necessity is the mother of invention and over here the necessity just doesn't exist. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that is some way to get a flintlock to work reliably without black powder though and the people that are likely to know how to do it are your countrymen.

Latest posts

Back