• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TDM, here you go.

View attachment 228896View attachment 228897View attachment 228898

I turned the screw on a belt sander (good buy from Harbor Freight a few years back, also sharpened a Chef's Knife with it while I was using it) and the wood was just from some scrap wood a friend gave me a couple years ago. Yes, that is a crack in the wood from missing the hole while screwing in the first screw. I intend to take it apart, clamp and glue that back into place. :doh:

The Doc is out now. 😎
Nice! When you start to use you’ll most likely find the the wood above the scribe point hits the stock curvature and the line will follow that curve instead of the staying parallel with the bottom. That’s why mine is trimmed so close to the scribe point.

I have been carving on my practice stock. Please let me know what I could do to make it better. I am still on the fence about trying to carve my Woodsrunner.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 1d.jpg
    1d.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
@Polecat_Tom I think your coming along great! I can’t offer much advice because I’m a beginner carver too. But I’ve been advised by those that know to spend more time studying original carvings and to make sketches of the ones I like. Then practice drawing them until they look correct. Also been told to choose carvings of a common theme. I’m studying Rococo style because I think that fits the Woodsrunner time frame. I’ll still be very conservative when I tackle the real stock. I never thought doing this would be easy, but a lot more to it than I originally thought! Your on the right track.

Nice! When you start to use you’ll most likely find the the wood above the scribe point hits the stock curvature and the line will follow that curve instead of the staying parallel with the bottom. That’s why mine is trimmed so close to the scribe point.
TDM
You were partially correct. I followed the lines on the bottom of the forestock and did well. Where the pipes were to be placed, there was a drop, or lift. Because of that, I stopped on either side and finished with a flat wide needle file.
Now, where you were correct, and I stopped for the time being to get back out to the garage and the belt sander. The upper side with the adjustable gap was too high to get past the cheek-piece and carvings. So I ground that part away, and also put rounded edges on the device.
And now the photo program on my computer is not letting me upload a new pic of it. :mad:
Anyway, it was working great on the right side of the gun.
The Doc is out and frustrated now. :mad:

ARG! Close out of the MLF and lo and behold, the photo programs work now.

gouge thingie 2023-06-17 004.JPG

It ain't pretty, but it works.

The Doc is out now. Is there a Doctor in the house for my new headache? 😬

ARG! Close out of the MLF and lo and behold, the photo programs work now.

View attachment 228971
It ain't pretty, but it works.

The Doc is out now. Is there a Doctor in the house for my new headache? 😬
That’s the ticket. Depending on the stock shape and cheek piece dimensions you make find it will need more trimming down the road which is easily done.

It’s been fun watching you guys work on your practice stocks! Unfortunately I don’t have a practice stock for my Fowler kit…. Probably just going to be a plain Jane!

That’s the ticket. Depending on the stock shape and cheek piece dimensions you make find it will need more trimming down the road which is easily done.
Nope, but thank you. It clears the cheek piece. I still have to pull the trigger guard out to finish the butt portion of the lines. That means I will have to find my punches. I got tired of being stabbed by the pin Kibler's put in the trigger guard and cut it down to its final size. 😃

The Doc is out now, but the headache remains. 😣

It’s been fun watching you guys work on your practice stocks! Unfortunately I don’t have a practice stock for my Fowler kit…. Probably just going to be a plain Jane!
Nothing wrong with that especially if you have really pretty wood. Relief carving is much more involved than I first thought, I’m only at the beginning of understanding it, and I may never get it. So mine may be a plain Jane too.

Nothing wrong with that especially if you have really pretty wood. Relief carving is much more involved than I first thought, I’m only at the beginning of understanding it, and I may never get it. So mine may be a plain Jane too.
Interesting. Looking at what you had done, I thought that you had done this for a long time.

It's my first time trying carving, too.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

PS, I misunderstood what you meant about that gouge/tool I made. Sorry about that, Chief!

I was at Camp Raven Knob with PathfinderNC and another good friend and we got the primitive range into shape with the help of a couple older volunteer Scouts. Of course we had to test the range to make sure it's still in "working order!" Pathfinder and I have also obtained a couple left hand rifles for those kids who shoot left handed. We got them zeroed and in good order for the summer. Next week starts 6 straight weeks of 2 range sessions per week working with kids.

Held a member shoot yesterday to discuss status of club, standing of club, finances and even ask for ideas and input. Plus thanked everyone for their support and participation with a goody bag of stuff. Without them there is no club. Had a walkup that said how can I get involved and participate? What do I need? We of course showed him and the grin and note taking was impressive.

Latest posts

Back