• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I wanted to put my .54 GPR through its paces but was rained out.

So I got out all my ML's, ran patches down them and oiled them up again.

Got out a bunch of .54 caliber shooting patches and lubed them up with TOTW Mink Oil.

Not today, but yesterday. Tried my DIY caps in my TC Hawken with 45 barrel. It's my main setup for competition. It shot It's usual good (for me) groups off a rest. I consider them to be as good as any commercial (unavailable) caps. Making them is tedious and monotonous but the price is right and they are readily available.

I went shooting last Sunday.
I loaded the Ky flint gun after hanging a zoo critter & this is what I faced when I tried priming it...
That's not good....LOL

352264959_254853647154105_1795504955630680106_n.jpg

Yikes! how many shots did it take to get there ?
That lock is a used replacement lock from junked 36 caliber Pedersoli. It replaced a lock with 9000+ shots on it that was worn out.
It was in the gun cloth standing against my safe when it fell to the floor 2 weeks ago. Didn't notice it till I got it out to shoot. I found the other half of the frizzen in the cloth carrier. I knew right then what happened.
Oh well..I sent it to the same friend that gave the the lock. He is going to put a replacement frizzen on it & I'll be back to shooting it again soon.

So how did you unload it? I must admit I would probably put powder in the pan and use a match or something like that to ignite it. In the safest manner possible of course and assuming I had safe space to do so.

So how did you unload it? I must admit I would probably put powder in the pan and use a match or something like that to ignite it. In the safest manner possible of course and assuming I had safe space to do so.
I went home and put a junk frizzen back on the gun I had in my parts box.
Took it out back & pulled the trigger twice before it fired.
I seldom throw any parts away unless they are broken.

It is on the way to a friend's house. He has 2 of my locks lying around that can be used.
He is willing to replace it with the best looking of two to pick from.
I'll have it back & shooting again very soon.

355227823_282040164351148_8768659449833933390_n.jpg

Last edited:
I put the new sights on my TC Hawken this morning between doing other things.
Waaaay more work than it should have been. Especially since I spoke with TOTW to get the right ones.

I'm really not sure about that cast buckhorn. Very uneven casting. I'm not sure if I was supposed to shape it myself or what. But first I'm going to shoot the gun. Chances are it's fuzzy anyway.
And I really should have asked about that side view. It's not what I would call a traditional dovetail.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/881/1/RS-KC-16

Finished my Woodsrunner. Nothing special, a 50 cal in cherry. I have been on the fence about to carve or not. I finally decided to not carve. I would hate to turn this beautiful gun into something less. I will continue to practice and when my confidence builds up, I may try version 2. I started the finish with Permalyn and put 4 coats on, buffing with scotch bright between coats. After the 4th coat the gloss level was too much for me and it seemed like the scotch bright wasn’t going to dull it enough. So I sanded it down to bare wood and went back to BLO and Tried and True. I am happy with the overall look of the gun. Next is get it out to the range. Also, just received word that the Colonial should be here on Friday.

Attachments

• WR1.jpg
    WR1.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • WR2.jpg
    WR2.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back