• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished my Woodsrunner. Nothing special, a 50 cal in cherry. I have been on the fence about to carve or not. I finally decided to not carve. I would hate to turn this beautiful gun into something less. I will continue to practice and when my confidence builds up, I may try version 2. I started the finish with Permalyn and put 4 coats on, buffing with scotch bright between coats. After the 4th coat the gloss level was too much for me and it seemed like the scotch bright wasn’t going to dull it enough. So I sanded it down to bare wood and went back to BLO and Tried and True. I am happy with the overall look of the gun. Next is get it out to the range. Also, just received word that the Colonial should be here on Friday.

Nothing special? You’ve got a shooter there my friend! You can burn powder until your fingers are sore! When do you get to pull the trigger?

I’d love to see how it shoots :)

Nothing special? You’ve got a shooter there my friend! You can burn powder until your fingers are sore! When do you get to pull the trigger?

I’d love to see how it shoots :)
Hopefully July 2nd. I am not yet a member of the shooting range and have to wait for the monthly black power shoot.

Hopefully July 2nd. I am not yet a member of the shooting range and have to wait for the monthly black power shoot.

Not sure where you live but, in the PNW, there is always the woods. Either way, post some pictures! You have a starting load yet? I bet some Kibler guys here have a dozen suggestions. :)

Not sure where you live but, in the PNW, there is always the woods. Either way, post some pictures! You have a starting load yet? I bet some Kibler guys here have a dozen suggestions. :)
I live in the Albany/Corvallis, OR area. I plan on starting with a .490 ball, .015 patch, and 50 grains of 2F powder. That is what I shoot in my Lyman GPR so should be a good starting point.

I needed a small piece of brass, so I went to the scrap yard to rummage through their stuff, I got a piece of flat 3/16 x 2 x14 long and a bunch of round bar that was there. Paid a dear $5.50 for it, and noticed the end of the long brass round bars was all dirty and when I knocked the dirt off realized it was a range rod with a ball puller on the end. Win for me!

I live in the Albany/Corvallis, OR area. I plan on starting with a .490 ball, .015 patch, and 50 grains of 2F powder. That is what I shoot in my Lyman GPR so should be a good starting point.
What part of Albany/Corvallis? My wife’s family have been in Oregon over 150 years. As a couple we lived in Salem for about 10 years. I worked quite a bit in northern Albany, and some in Corvallis on remodels. I shot a couple of times with friends at a gun club on the east side of I5 just south of Corvallis.

I have some knives I really need to finish first, but I was trying to get myself excited to continue working on my PA fowler kit! So I decided to sand down and playing with stain colors. Here’s where I’m at. The first two pictures are of the same side. The last picture is of the opposite side with a little more brown base. In the second picture, you can see the dark speckles. The stain bleed/ beaded out after most of the area had dried. Any thought?

Attachments

• IMG_4380.jpeg
    IMG_4380.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4382.jpeg
    IMG_4382.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4381.jpeg
    IMG_4381.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Going through my Roto-Metals tested sailboat ballast.

50 pound bar of 98 Lead, 1 Tin, 1 Antimony.

Need to melt a bit of it and see if it's soft enough for .58 Minie balls. Don't want the skirts too hard.

If it's too hard, it'll make damn fine hollow point hunting bullets. SPLAT!

Some folks think a fiddy dolla test on fiddy poun a lead is a lot. But it's nice to have an actual starting point for recipe additions. I have one 50 pound bar that's 95.5 Lead and 4.5 Antimony. Best 50 bucks I ever spent.

Attachments

• IMG_2866.JPG
    IMG_2866.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2869.JPG
    IMG_2869.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Made my first batch of lubed wads
Found an old pair of white painters shorts that i had tiedyed at some point
Measured around .018 inches sort of
Cut 1.25 inch holes in them
Melted beeswax/tallow lube then added half part olive oil and half part ballistol.
Then coated them and put them in a bag.
My 50 cal is expected to arrive friday.
Cheers

Attachments

• 20230621_205037.jpg
    20230621_205037.jpg
    996.6 KB · Views: 0
Spent time with a cousin south of Lexington, her property was originally owned by the Boone family (of which she is descended). She has the original ox yoke used by my several greats grandfather used to cross the Alleghenies in 1815/16.
The Muzzleloading part - well it’s close enough as I’m sure grandad carried one, the entire way…
73DCAC33-932F-4B1F-B5AE-D3D44DB4DBF3.jpeg

I have some knives I really need to finish first, but I was trying to get myself excited to continue working on my PA fowler kit! So I decided to sand down and playing with stain colors. Here’s where I’m at. The first two pictures are of the same side. The last picture is of the opposite side with a little more brown base. In the second picture, you can see the dark speckles. The stain bleed/ beaded out after most of the area had dried. Any thought?
it is hard to tell really, I like side one though. Put some oil on it and see what looks better to you

Spent time with a cousin south of Lexington, her property was originally owned by the Boone family (of which she is descended). She has the original ox yoke used by my several greats grandfather used to cross the Alleghenies in 1815/16.
The Muzzleloading part - well it’s close enough as I’m sure grandad carried one, the entire way… View attachment 230078
Very cool!!

What I will be doing...
... is sticking around the house and keeping my eyes open for the powder order from Grafs to arrive.
They used the absolute worse shipper in my area and if I don't see them first they are likely to leave without making themselves known.
I'm really interested to see how Swiss powder works and if I notice a difference.

Nice piece of wood, should show very nice with a couple more coats.

spent the last couple of days repairing the mountain rifle. at the June shoot i had a bolster failure the second in almost 40 years where the threads had eroded away. I believe that this is caused by not paying attention to making sure that the threads are long enough on the nipple. both of the failures were because I had installed a flash cup under the nipple. i checked my stock of nipples and indeed there was different lengths of threads on them all of the cones were the same length. I removed the bolster and made a new proper one (not the ones that are sold as replacements ) torqued it in place bore it from the muzzle and then drilled and taped it for the new nipple. posted a June target and tested it it's as good as i can hold and see any more. i believe that a contributing factor to the problem is the nipple and cup don't sit flat on the radius of the bolster and the cup aggravates the problem the cure is to use a counter bore to create a flat for the nipple to seat on or radius the bottom of the cup to match the radius of the bolster and use longer threads on the nipple.

Attachments

• DSC04013.JPG
    DSC04013.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Made my first batch of lubed wads
Found an old pair of white painters shorts that i had tiedyed at some point
Measured around .018 inches sort of
Cut 1.25 inch holes in them
Melted beeswax/tallow lube then added half part olive oil and half part ballistol.
Then coated them and put them in a bag.
My 50 cal is expected to arrive friday.
Cheers

Those patches will send good vibes. :)

Back