• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to melt ten pounds of 98-1-1 sailboat ballast.

The pencil test has it at 40:1 hardness.

Sand and debris will be removed just prior to pouring.

Now where did I put my Pewter/Tin?

Attachments

• IMG_2871.JPG
    IMG_2871.JPG
    620.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2875.JPG
    IMG_2875.JPG
    843.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2876.JPG
    IMG_2876.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2878.JPG
    IMG_2878.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I finally made it out with my smoke pole today. 10 roundball shots, about 6 with my cast improved Minnie's and three 525 grain No Excuses Conicals. All smacked my 8 inch plate at 50 yards. The 525's slammed the whole target hanger to the ground. No misses or sight adjustment for all three loads. I'm happy!

Attachments

• IMG_20230623_121850769.jpg
    IMG_20230623_121850769.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230623_115328551.jpg
    IMG_20230623_115328551.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
You're killing me, Smalls.

First they tell me they are running early. Yay for me. I really want to try that Swiss powder for the first time and the weather has been perfect.
Then when the package doesn't show up Thursday, they tell me they are running on time and it will be here today.
Then when it doesn't show up today, and I called and was told FedEx Ground delivers Sat and Sun... this is what I see next time I look:

Untitled.png

And of course Monday I'll be heading out to buy my hunting license and doe permit at 11:00, the soonest I am able to because now we don't have to mail in our doe permit request. And I'll bet there's a line.

First world problems. I just hope the box is in good shape and I don't have a bunch of loose gunpowder in the box.

Rant over.

I did get my tracking from Track and the rifle and other stuff I ordered from them is estimated Tuesday. Thankfully UPS.

TDM, your practice carving is coming along nicely. A lot of your “mistakes” will be fixed with a v groove or carving blade. This is especially true along the relief cuts that look a little ragged. Rifflers can help to smooth and even out the background.
With the amount of research you’ve done, as well as practice, I’m sure I’m not telling you something new. But most important are sharp, sharp tools. I keep a diamond 600 grit at my side and use it the second I notice the tool grabbing.
As you know by now, maple is difficult to carve, difficult to learn on. The more figure the harder. I often tell first time carvers to start with some basswood to get used to the tools before tackling harder woods. You’re doing great.
Thanks for posting all the photos. It is good to watch the progress.

TDM, your practice carving is coming along nicely. A lot of your “mistakes” will be fixed with a v groove or carving blade. This is especially true along the relief cuts that look a little ragged. Rifflers can help to smooth and even out the background.
With the amount of research you’ve done, as well as practice, I’m sure I’m not telling you something new. But most important are sharp, sharp tools. I keep a diamond 600 grit at my side and use it the second I notice the tool grabbing.
As you know by now, maple is difficult to carve, difficult to learn on. The more figure the harder. I often tell first time carvers to start with some basswood to get used to the tools before tackling harder woods. You’re doing great.
Thanks for posting all the photos. It is good to watch the progress.
Thanks, I have all the right tools and they are sharp. It’s using them that begs the question.

I was airbrushing some deer heads in my shop this morning and the power went out so…… got out the flintlock and my new steel squirrel target and took five shots at various short distances. At my club you can only shoot 25,50&100 yards.
A lot of my shots at squirrels are under 25.
Power will be out for awhile so I think I’ll run down to the range and shoot some more. I don’t like shooting at my place to much. Don’t like to upset the turkeys. These are at my bird feeder right now.
996DA7F6-BC90-4440-B3D1-56E744A124D5.jpeg
A1F2ADBA-1EAE-4454-9745-728C1CC99AE0.jpeg

Been working on this little piece. Just finished it up and tested it. It’s with a horn I made in the past. Been doing this muzzleloading since I was a kid 40 yrs ago and it’s still lots of fun!!! That horn was part of a pair my neighbor gave me when i was about 16. One was cracked bad, this one became this horn. It’s been on many many hunts with me.

Attachments

• F70DF17B-C137-49D2-ADD8-F6B7C9041E77.jpeg
    F70DF17B-C137-49D2-ADD8-F6B7C9041E77.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Can you tell me what the pencil test is? I haven’t heard of it.
Thanks

Can you tell me what the pencil test is? I haven’t heard of it.
Thanks
Sure!

Use the chart to select a pencil for softness/hardness.

When one of the pencils makes a scratch in the lead, that is the (Approximate) harness of the lead. Approximate is very close though.

The genius that came up with this idea of testing lead did his homework.

Attachments

• IMG_2880.JPG
    IMG_2880.JPG
    553.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2881.JPG
    IMG_2881.JPG
    687 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Shot my GPR and let it draw its first blood. MINE!

Was shooting an IPSC target at 100 yards practicing offhand shooting in different stances. One shot the butt slipped off my arm when it recoiled and the peep sight “scoped” my nose.

Attachments

• 1135CA16-E93A-49FE-B55C-6BAEFB8822EB.jpeg
    1135CA16-E93A-49FE-B55C-6BAEFB8822EB.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Shot my GPR and let it draw its first blood. MINE!

Was shooting an IPSC target at 100 yards practicing offhand shooting in different stances. One shot the butt slipped off my arm when it recoiled and the peep sight “scoped” my nose.
i escaped the "half moon" club for 60 years! when i joined my hunting buddy just stood pointing at my eyebrow and laughed as the blood dripped off my nose.

Back