• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Boomerang mentioned .005 copper foil on Amazon soil took a look at it. While there some .005 aluminum popped up so decided to try both. Double pop can has been OK but cutting up the cans is a pita and so is folding them! The copper was $15.73 for 12" X 30" and the aluminum was $8.79 for the same size.
20230704_092745_copy_800x800_1.jpg

So far I've tried the aluminum and it makes a much better cap body than the pop can. The pop can made quite a few that were skewed to one side. This aluminum foil made every one perfect. Got 20 out of a 3/4" X 12" piece. Looks like the straps can be narrowed to closer to 1/2".

I'll be testing the copper later today.

20230704_092654_copy_800x800.jpg

Getting ready to watch my Mike Miller Relief Carving DVD that finally arrived yesterday, took 3 weeks! Also have a couple of photo collection thumb drives from the Kentucky Rifle Foundation. They were slow getting here too. Guess they were all at Friendship for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_2213.jpeg
    IMG_2213.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2214.jpeg
    IMG_2214.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Just finished the test on the copper foil. Short version of the analysis is that it's difficult to work with compared to the aluminum.

First off, let me say that the manufacturer says to punch a cap and then slide the material in the tool to punch the next. So none of the material I've punched can be easily and smoothly slid through the tool. Not the single pop can, not the double pop can, not the aluminum in the post above but especially not the copper foil!! It's too soft and the edges seem to follow the punch down into the tool. It's ery sticky and needs to be worked to free it up. The aluminum can be a bit sticky too but it's tolerable and I can work with it twice as fast as the copper.

That said, the caps are very nice but no better than the aluminum. I expect that they will both function well on the gun but I'm going to charge these two batches and compare at the range.

Notice how much more ragged the copper is along the edge compared to the aluminum.

20230704_132034_copy_600x1066.jpg
20230704_132042_copy_600x1823.jpg

One thought on this is that .005 brass foil might be less malleable than copper or aluminum. Might be even easier to work with.

Inquiring minds and all that! 😀

Just finished the test on the copper foil. Short version of the analysis is that it's difficult to work with compared to the aluminum.

First off, let me say that the manufacturer says to punch a cap and then slide the material in the tool to punch the next. So none of the material I've punched can be easily and smoothly slid through the tool. Not the single pop can, not the double pop can, not the aluminum in the post above but especially not the copper foil!! It's too soft and the edges seem to follow the punch down into the tool. It's ery sticky and needs to be worked to free it up. The aluminum can be a bit sticky too but it's tolerable and I can work with it twice as fast as the copper.

That said, the caps are very nice but no better than the aluminum. I expect that they will both function well on the gun but I'm going to charge these two batches and compare at the range.

Notice how much more ragged the copper is along the edge compared to the aluminum.

View attachment 233428View attachment 233429
Anxious to see how you progress. I’ve had both the #10 and #11 dies, Prime All, and copper and brass sheets for a year now and never tried it out yet.

One thought on this is that .005 brass foil might be less malleable than copper or aluminum. Might be even easier to work with.

Inquiring minds and all that! 😀
Kinda agree, looks like it works a little better with the aluminum.
I'm not familiar with the tool, can it be sharpened or otherwise maintained for a good cut/stamp?

Kinda agree, looks like it works a little better with the aluminum.
I'm not familiar with the tool, can it be sharpened or otherwise maintained for a good cut/stamp?

I don't know about sharpening. I've herd that over a long period of use that they can wear out. I doubt if I'll ever wear it out.

Anxious to see how you progress. I’ve had both the #10 and #11 dies, Prime All, and copper and brass sheets for a year now and never tried it out yet.

Where did you get the brass sheets?

Suggestion, after reading your report wonder if you say sprayed the foil with say Pam cooking spray or WD-40 prior to stamping out the caps if it would slide better through the forming die, and perhaps give a better form to the cap. yes you would need to de-lube the finished cap, but this could be accomplished in an alcohol bath then lay the caps out on a paper towel to dry before adding the prime compound. Just thinking.

Per instructions from this wonderful site, I pinned the ramrod ends on my Santa Fe hawken and also one range rod.
3/32" drill through, chamfer each side of the hole, tap the common finish nail (6d I think .095") through, cut off each side barley past flush and peen ends into the chamfer. So easy you can do it in your underwear 😎
View attachment 233237View attachment 233238
Excellent pinning job there!

I am not a machinist but there are a few talented folks here that might be able to do this, if a device could be made similar to a paper hole punch that would form the caps. Seems it would apply a more even pressure through the forming process and deliver a more uniform product. If so Royalities would be appreciated. 😉

Suggestion, after reading your report wonder if you say sprayed the foil with say Pam cooking spray or WD-40 prior to stamping out the caps if it would slide better through the forming die, and perhaps give a better form to the cap. yes you would need to de-lube the finished cap, but this could be accomplished in an alcohol bath then lay the caps out on a paper towel to dry before adding the prime compound. Just thinking.
I would wager imperial sizing and die wax would work perfectly. One small smear per sheet is all it would take.

I would wager imperial sizing and die wax would work perfectly. One small smear per sheet is all it would take.

I think both the wd40 and imperial wax would be worth while trying. I have both on hand so it will be tested. Gonna have to wait. Tending a rack of ribs right now.

Shot my smallest ever composite group at 50 yards with my .50 caliber flintlock Renegade. Factory blade and aperture sights
Can't mention the load, but the smallest group was 5/8ths and the largest 1 & 5/8ths. 9 shots were 1 &13/16ths.
It was so humid that the pan was wet between shots! Primed with 3f. Forgot my 4f primer flask and had to sacrifice a round for prime.
The factory T/C lock fired percussion fast.
I've almost sold this rifle 3 times.
She ain't goin' NOWHERE...

He who hesitates is lost…” I’m referring to me, not you.

I should‘ve bought the cap making kit and all the trimmings when I first saw it (it was in stock). A few weeks later, I saw an article written by Tyler Freel in Outdoor Life about it a couple of days after it was released and what I expected as I read it was true. Sold out and back ordered everywhere it was previously available. Snooze, ya loose.

All is not lost, tho… I scored some RWS caps from Grafs a week ago. Those should last me a while.

He who hesitates is lost…” I’m referring to me, not you.

I should‘ve bought the cap making kit and all the trimmings when I first saw it (it was in stock). A few weeks later, I saw an article written by Tyler Freel in Outdoor Life about it a couple of days after it was released and what I expected as I read it was true. Sold out and back ordered everywhere it was previously available. Snooze, ya loose.

All is not lost, tho… I scored some RWS caps from Grafs a week ago. Those should last me a while.
Wow! Did not know that! I guess it’s not surprising in these crazy times. I think I have 2 or 3 Prime All packs, was thinking about ordering a couple more. May have waited too long.

Back