• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I certainly didn't get wet!!!???!!!
I finally got my muzzleloading display finished. There's a place on eBay called Wood-n-Lead. The gentleman make plaques for firearms. He has examples and he can make any plaque for you (you may have to help by provided info on the firearm and/or height/length measurements). He does great work in a reasonable time. It's a part time thing for him (just like a hobby).
20230912_182841[1].jpg

20230912_182833[1].jpg

20230912_163834[1].jpg

Shot my 1851 Pietta Navy today, four cylinders, no problems. Twenty grains FFFG, .375 ball with Crisco sealed chambers. A bit messy but all ran well with #11 caps. Got home to clean and found this wrench uncomfortable to use downward pressure to remove/install the nipples due to the turnscrew end. Turned a hard dowel piece into a ‘palm saver’, much more comfortable to use.
Found this old cap container from the 1970’s in a forgotten box of stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_3395.jpeg
    IMG_3395.jpeg
    7.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3396.jpeg
    IMG_3396.jpeg
    8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3397.jpeg
    IMG_3397.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
As I type this I'm boiling the 1860 Westley Richards barrels to continue working on the hopefully shooter. This is the one that was built for a MP in the UK. I'm using my electric range I hav on a dolley for powder coating bike parts.
Is that an homemade aluminum gutter vat sitting on a flat piece of 3/8" or 1/2" steel for support? It's genious if it is!!! Cool innovation! 😃

Well it was Wednesday but we have been on the road for long hours. So Wen was able to stop at The Museum of the Fur Trade!! What an awesome place!! Didn’t have as much time as I would have like because the kids were getting restless!! Oh well! Loved seeing some of the original knives!

Attachments

• IMG_5171.jpeg
    IMG_5171.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5173.jpeg
    IMG_5173.jpeg
    954 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5177.jpeg
    IMG_5177.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5178.jpeg
    IMG_5178.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5180.jpeg
    IMG_5180.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Came across a couple of scrap satellite dishes. Opened up the end of the larger one to fit the smaller one and riveted them together. I wanted something light enough to carry out into the woods and try some 300 - 400 yard shots. Set it up on a T-Post at my 100 yard marker in my yard for a few practice shots. The second image is zoomed in from 100 yards just to get a better picture of what it looks like. The top edge is shoulder high, the bottom edge is just below my knees.
View attachment 252385View attachment 252386View attachment 252387

The low right flyer was all me - had a slightly delayed ignition and relaxed as soon as the cap popped. Should have held it longer.
Pedersoli 1861 Springfield shot off-hand, 500gr. burton ball over 65 grains of GOEX 2F. All in all I am not disappointed, although I plan to hang a cow bell on the bottom edge to get a bit more feedback on a hit.
Sometimes I'll go to Goodwill and buy those old thick steel pans that have been beat to s**t, and are unusable, paint them orange, hang them, and start blasting. If a pan is thick enough, and you hang it right, you get a nice ring and swing for a hit.

I'm prepping my gear for an ml hunt tomorrow. This Saturday and Sunday are the last two days of the season. I expect to see some magnificent bulls since I have a cow tag.

This will be a little different from past hunts but I'll get into that when it's done.

One step closer to paint.

Found the courage to drill four new pin holes in my two old pipes. The original center holes are plugged with JB Weld. Four pins be better than two.

Got the stock joint epoxied into place. I don't care how many I do this or how many times I mock these up, it's still pucker time when you do it for real.

Let the joint sit until Sunday. Then start blending that area in. That sub roll of a belly can be put on more of a diet.

Hopefully without fracturing the joint.

Attachments

• IMG_3399.JPG
    IMG_3399.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3398.JPG
    IMG_3398.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3403.JPG
    IMG_3403.JPG
    959.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3401.JPG