• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joint and belly taken to final shape. From this point on do your stock work with the barrel mounted. If you can't, keep the joint supported at all times.

Grease hole drilled. When drilling, keep the point of the bit a 1/4" away from the table. This ensures you won't break through to the other side of the stock.

Stock sanded with 150 grit so the stock has some tooth. First coat of paint applied. Will get two coats per side.

Can't wait to get her put together. Patience.

Attachments

• IMG_3410.JPG
    IMG_3410.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3411.JPG
    IMG_3411.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3415.JPG
    IMG_3415.JPG
  • IMG_3413.JPG
    IMG_3413.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3417.JPG
    IMG_3417.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3418.JPG
    IMG_3418.JPG
    655.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3420.JPG
    IMG_3420.JPG
    916 KB · Views: 0
Finished up two trade knives. I have to make a sheath yet for the bottom one.
I have the blade wrapped in saran wrap. Working on the rawhide blade protector that will go down inside the leather sheath. That way nothing can ever cut through.

Attachments

• rawhide liner.JPG
    rawhide liner.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • rawhide liner clipped.JPG
    rawhide liner clipped.JPG
This morning I dug out Ruger Old army,charged her with 35 grains of 777 ,3f and lee Real 200 grain bullet,shooting a honest 25 yards according to range finder,I was pretty happy with group I had one I dropped about 4" but I knew it was bad as soon as trigger broke.

Ignore the 3 itty bitty holes at bottom of red,that was check .22 zero awhile back.

Attachments

• KIMG0629.JPG
    KIMG0629.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
All my gear was to go ready to go at 0700 this morning. I was planning on shooting my .58 cal Hawken and my .50 cal PA Hunter. I LIVE 50 miles from the outdoor range. I kept checking the weather and it wasn’t forecasted to rain. Well, it rained there and here.
Tomorrow I’ll try again.🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

I started patterning my first smoothbore it is a Northwest trade gun. I had to make a new Hickory ram rod for it because the one that came with it from India was mighty flimsy. I did a good bit of research and figured I would just start off with the sky Chief load. I was disappointed to find a sparse pattern at 30 yards. I had I had been using 80 grains of one f and an ounce and a quarter of number six. Once I dropped down to 67 grains of powder everything came together quite nicely. This thing is shockingly Dependable no misfires yet in maybe 15 shots so far. The eight and a half by 11 piece of paper shows the point of aim at 30 yards. I am mighty grateful for the efforts of Sky chief.

Attachments

• 20230916_182201.jpg
    20230916_182201.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230916_181252.jpg
    20230916_181252.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I started patterning my first smoothbore it is a Northwest trade gun. I had to make a new Hickory ram rod for it because the one that came with it from India was mighty flimsy. I did a good bit of research and figured I would just start off with the sky Chief load. I was disappointed to find a sparse pattern at 30 yards. I had I had been using 80 grains of one f and an ounce and a quarter of number six. Once I dropped down to 67 grains of powder everything came together quite nicely. This thing is shockingly Dependable no misfires yet in maybe 15 shots so far. The eight and a half by 11 piece of paper shows the point of aim at 30 yards. I am mighty grateful for the efforts of Sky chief.
I'd give my right *** for a 30 yard pattern like that.

My 20ga with #4 doesn't pattern for shite.

May I ask bore size and shot size?

Thank you.

The shot size is number six and there is one and a quarter ounces of it.
Actually I ended up settling on one and a half ounces of shot. I really should start writing stuff down and labeling things LOL the bore size is 19 gauge or .625

Got the call from my club. My five pound order of goex 3f has arrived (along with all the club orders). $24 per pound. I'm looking forward to wringing it out compared to Scheutzen 3f. I'll do a side by side comparison of the two along with fouling observations........ when I get another round tuit! 😏

Back