• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 260986

Got my setup for PA week of fall muzzleloader ready to go. .58 investarm flintlock, she likes 90grs 3F, .570rb with .015 mink oil patch. No time off but get out of work early enough to go in evenings. Looking forward to it.
Dang, bro. A 570 grain RB is like a cannonball. If that doesn't have a serious 'Whopability" then nothing does.

Best of luck to you.

Okay guys. Although I haven't done much, in terms of ML stuff lately (other than cast 50 Maxi Balls), I have been busting my chops and wracking my brain in prep for the upcoming ML season. The first ML season opens here in 6 more days.

In the meantime, I have taken a necessary break from my squirrel hunting with my beloved Crockett Squirrel rifle. But only due to the fact that filling my freezers with deer meat is of the utmost importance (the first ML season here is only two days long). We rely on a 4 deer minimum to get us through the year. We do no buy store bought meat. In doing so, and considering the longer season, this ole boy heavily relies on bowhunting to fulfill the aforementioned.

With that said, and before you all roast me here, the entire time this ole mountain man is out in the woods with his bow (crossbow now due to a destroyed shoulder) all I can think about is ML season. Therefore, every one of those many, many, hobbled steps in this steep and thick mountainous terrain is in prep, or in search of, a good place to ML hunt.

Believe me fellas, even with a very bad knee, I'm still out there giving it hell on finding good place to ML hunt. Even while I'm out there with a crossbow, its all about my beloved ML's. Whether it be with those wonderful, grey bushy tail I constantly see, or the deer and/or deer sign I see while scouting, its all about ML for this ole, worn out, mountain man.

Last edited:
Dang, bro. A 570 grain RB is like a cannonball. If that doesn't have a serious 'Whopability" then nothing does.

Best of luck to you.
LOL, yeah, quite the overkill but It's a neat gun that I haven't gotten anything with yet. Besides, figure I can tenderize it at the same time.

I made a squeeze open small ball bag for the .32 and started a second one slightly larger for the .40. That will prevent any loose ball in the bottom of the shooting pouch.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• ballbags.JPG
    ballbags.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Took the Harper's Ferry to the range to test my design of a portable pistol loading stand, and that worked out very well. Maybe a thread on it at some point when it's finalized. Also to test my ideas of loading powder & ball by paper cartridge, which also worked out pretty well, and gave me some ideas for improvements in fabrication techniques. Guy in the adjacent stall was shooting centerline black powder muzzleloader rifle, so the black powder smoke sparked interesting conversation.

Shot the English sea service pistol today. The resoled frizzen worked perfectly after switching to a new English flint, lol! I used the rivet method for attaching the new sole. Also widened and polished the pan. Throwing great sparks now and getting those nice “hot balls“ sitting in and falling out of the pan. Heres a progression of still pics from the video
IMG_6655.jpeg
IMG_6656.jpeg
IMG_6657.jpeg
IMG_6658.jpeg

Last edited:
Over the past few days I did a bit of shooting with my 40 Cal SMR... I had replaced the front sight with a silver one from TOTW and didn't do enough verification shooting for point of aim adjustments prior to the last club shoot, so I did a miserable job at that shoot. Downright discouraging!

Over the course of a couple days, I shot enough to know just where it was hitting and made adjustments. I'm liking it now... just need to settle down a little more and control my breathing and trigger pull a little smoother and it should tighten up some more.

View attachment 260879
I have a Kibler smr in .40 cal. And it is an very accurate rifle. It was was a gift to me from a relative who because of age and health issues was not able to finish the build. I finished the rifle and it has proven to be an excellent firearm. I look forward to using it to provide the the nessary food in the near future because of the eventual collapse of society we will soon face.

Going to deer camp tomorrow AM , so made up 10 pre measured 80 Gr. FFFG , quick loads of powder for my flint .50 cal. long rifle , checked the contents of the shot pouch , three extra French flints , 10 ea. , .490 RBs , bunch of prelubed .012 thick patches. Will load up when we get to camp.. My hunting buddy and I , been hunting together for 50 + yrs. , so we might hunt , or not. Good wood fire sounds like fun , with pie and hot coffee. Don't want to rush into this hunting prematurely. Due to both of us having sick wives , we don't get to just talk much , these days.

Latest posts

Back